Two 942 questions

jerryez

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 8, 2003
Pensacola,FL
Sory, if these have been ask before. WIl the 942 record HD OTA from your antenna and Does it have OTA program listings in the guide.

yes. The ota guide is simply the dish locals guide re-mapped on your digital locals that correspond to dish locals

It will record local channels. The program guide will show programing "only" if you do not subscribe to your local channels. Thats the nature of the beast. If you don't subscribe you will just get "local programming" in your guide for info

rnesky said:
It will record local channels. The program guide will show programing "only" if you do not subscribe to your local channels. Thats the nature of the beast. If you don't subscribe you will just get "local programming" in your guide for info

I assume you got this backwards. I do not subscribe to locals. Why should I, I get locals in HD for free, but without a guide the 942 is useless.

Nope this is Dish's way of making 5.99 off of you so you can have information for your Free to air digital stations. Cool huh? It works that way on the 921 too. THe 811 is the only hd receiver that uses the psip information from the station to tell you what is on and it is FREE. :rolleyes:

On the other hand, my understanding is that in Dual mode the TV2 outputs can not access OTA, so if you want to watch locals in dual mode on a 942 then you need them via Sat anyway.

CDH.

Since the 942 gets its OTA guide information from the regular locals on satellite, What about a PBS digital that does not duplicate its analog on its digital. Instead it broadcasts the PBS HD Feed 24 hours a day. What does DISH PG wise do with that? (My 942 is here but gets hooked up on Tuesday)

The 921 and the 942 use limited psip information to establish the channel itself as a digital channel when you scan for digital channels. That is where it stops. Without satellite locals that duplicate this channel , you won't get any information.

MikeD-C05 said:
Nope this is Dish's way of making 5.99 off of you so you can have information for your Free to air digital stations.
According to their web site, the DVR fee covers name-based recording. As if that scam isn't bad enough !protest they make people pay again to actually get the names. :what

Stop and think about it for a second!!!! How does dish know you have your locals hooked up to your receiver. It is a situation that the software does not address.

Information for the locals you buy for 5.99 ,in addition to the dvr fee, is only supplied if you sub to the satellite verison of your local stations. IF you are in an area with no satellite locals then you won't get any information for your locals regardless. In my area of Texas we are not up on the satellite so I get no information for my ota locals from Dish. Now my Toshiba hd tv with tuner does have information for my digital locals . It uses TvGuide that is built in to the tv. My LG upconverting dvd player has a hd tuner for ota stations as well , but it uses the actual PSIP information supplied from the local stations. Someday Dish will have to change this so the 942 operates more like the 811 receiver that gets it's information from the stations psip data.

My local stations do not braodcast any psip data or I do not know how to receive it. What is the method to receive the local guide data.

Do a scan for local digital channels with your hd receiver and it will pick up any digital channel and will correctly name it by it's number and name. For example Channel 6 in my area is identified as 06.01 Kfdm . If you sub to your satellite locals from Dish the information will be mapped to your digital channels as well . IF you don't sub to Dish satellite locals or they are not carrying your locals on the satellite, then you will only get the channels and their names but no information.

YOU stop and think about it for a second.

The box obviously knows if you have satellite locals or not.

The box obviously knows which OTA locals you have - because you scan them in.

MikeD-C05 said:
Nope this is Dish's way of making 5.99 off of you so you can have information for your Free to air digital stations. Cool huh? It works that way on the 921 too. THe 811 is the only hd receiver that uses the psip information from the station to tell you what is on and it is FREE. :rolleyes:
I believe the 811 does not use PSIP except for the station call and number but uses its LIL info for the OTA guide, which is why we don't get info on national PBS-HD and my 7.1 shows preview text but not in the full info.

(ABC used to be on 7.2 with 7.1 showing the national ABC-HD channel, 1 hour earlier, Mountain Time. They have decided to sell bandwidth on the sub-carriers, instead.)

How come I can get show titles on an old Toshiba VCR for analog OTA and have never seen this on other VCRs or TVs.

Nope , the 811 is the only hd receiver that works with the psip data from the stations. The 921/942 use the guide information from the dish satellite locals and the limited psip data to establish the name and number of the stations. You can do a search and you will see there was quite an outrage when Dish origionally set up the 921 to do guide information by subing to sat locals. People where saying it made no sense to pay a dvr fee for $4.99 and sub to sat locals $5.99 to be able to do what the 811 does for free.

When I had the 811 I got limited guide information if I set up the local stations by network designation . I would get primetime guide information from 7-10 central time on some of the stations.

OK, now what about those that had to give up Dish's locals in order to keep DNS ? Obviously with Dish's methodology, they're not going to get OTA guide info either which seems pretty unfair.

Couldn't Dish charge a nominal fee, like maybe a buck a month to send & map the local's guide info to those that don't subscribe to locals ? Is that possible ?

Quick Question and Observation...

Quick Question: I've had my 942 (and E* service for that matter) a little more than a week and the PG data for my digital locals (i.e. 4.1, 7.1, 9.1, etc.) keeps appearing/disappearing; it is there one day and gone the next. This is really annoying since it is screwing up my timers. I have been running L2.24 and now L2.25...and I subscribe to my locals (DC area). Anyone else having this problem? If so, how do I correct this annoyance?

Observation: I also have two (2) 811s, with L2.87, and receive programming from DMAs outside my home area (Richmond VA, Charlottesville VA and Baltimore MD). Anyway, although I can map these channels into the PG, all programming shows up as "Local Digital" or something to that effect. In other words under this software version, the 811 will use basic PSIP information to append detected digitals to the PG, but is will not populate the PG using date from the PSIP datastream. All PG data appears to be coming from Dish...and if you don't subscribe to your locals then you are SOL. Again, this is what is happening to me and my 811s running L2.87.

murf said:
My 942 does this also. I believe it's because of the guide download at 3 am.
I thought about that, but here it is 2:30m and all my digital locals show, "Digital Service". I don't understand why the nightly 3am download would mess this up? I just want it display the correct information in the PG regardless of time or day of the week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts