Two Dishes?

jtrout

Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
My HD signal is terrible, and the DISH techs never can seem to get it to work for any extended period of time. I have a 1000 on the house now, but I still have my old 500 in the garage. Is there any way to hook up both, maybe get the SD satellites on the 1000 and use the 500 exclusively for the HD satellite? A co-worker of mine has the same problem, so I'm wondering if the satellites are just too far spaced from our angle in Colorado to get a decent signal on a single dish. Any ideas?

Thanks!

~JT

Yes you can use a single dish to get the HD. You can either point it at 129 or 61.5. You will need a Dishpro Dual on that dish to work. There is an input on the LNB of the 1000 dish to connect the wing dish.

Now do you have a 1000 or a 1000.2 dish? If it is a 1000.2 it will have 1 lnb with 3 eyes. If it is a 1000 it can have several different combinations of LNB's, and we will need to figure out what you have.

Goto your check switch menu on your receiver and tell us what it says you have. To get there hit Menu then 6 - 1 - 1 and select check switch.

Hmm, not sure what I'm looking for in the Check Switch screen (I forgot to mention I have a ViP 622, if that matters). If it helps, here's what I have on the Installation Summary Details screen:

---- Satellite Input 1 ---
Port1 DPP Twin 119 Even, Odd
Port2 DPP Twin 110 Even, Odd
Port3 External LNB: DP Dual 129 Even, Odd

---- Satellite Input 2 ---

Does that help explain? Thanks, I really appreciate the help (and quick replies!).

~JT

great info. take the dish part thats the smallest on the dish witch is Dp dual and put it on the other dish st your setting do 90 and set proper elevation on reciver when you enter zipcode in to it

have you segestet to the dish guys when they came out to your house that they can put up scond dish?

Hmm, not sure what I'm looking for in the Check Switch screen (I forgot to mention I have a ViP 622, if that matters). If it helps, here's what I have on the Installation Summary Details screen:

---- Satellite Input 1 ---

---- Satellite Input 2 ---

Does that help explain? Thanks, I really appreciate the help (and quick replies!).

~JT

Ok perfect thats what we need. This tells us that you have a Dish1000. The dish has two LNB's on it. If you look at the plastic part where the LNb's are mounted you will see 110, 119, and 129. The 110 and 119 are received by what is called a Dishpro Plus twin. The 129 is received by a Dishpro Dual.

You can take the DP dual out of the Dish1000 and put it in your old dish. You will set the scew on the dish at 90. Then all we have to do is find out what elevation and azimuth to point your old dish at. Then you just connect the output of the DP dual back into the input on the DPP Twin and you are set to go.

Too cool, thank you guys so much! I should have done this before the World Series, didn't know it would be over so quick :(

The old 500 has a 110/119 DishPro LNBF on it already, so I should take that out and put the DP Dual on it instead? Just wanted to make sure. Using the 1000 for 110/119 and the 500 for 129 is the best way to go too, correct? Finally, I don't have the mast for that dish anymore. Any ideas where I can go to get one? I do have the wall mounting bracket still, so I think the mast is all I'm missing.

Thank you guys again, you have been so helpful. Maybe now I can watch my HD shows without skips, blockiness, and audio dropouts. I'm a happy camper!

~JT

Also if you got a good shot at it I would point the old dish 500 at 61.5 instead of 129.

yes. it also depends where you are located your local channels might be coming out of 129. if they are on 129 then it will depend on you if you wand HD locals or no but there is always an antenna for that

Bummer, all Denver locals and regional sports are on 129 and not 61.5. What makes 61.5 better, anyway?

Echostar 5 at 129 is damaged goods, and it doesn't provide a stable signal. It's scheduled to be replaced, but not for another year or so.

61.5 has two satellites that complement each other, but due to space limitations Dish has chosen to limit it's HD locals and RSNs to the East coast.

I had the same thought, Damaja. Then use the bracket for the dual LNBF I take off the 500 to hold the DishPro Plus Twin on the 1000. Much cleaner installation. Now if only DishStore had masts too, I'd really be in business :)

My HD signal is terrible, and the DISH techs never can seem to get it to work for any extended period of time. I have a 1000 on the house now, but I still have my old 500 in the garage. Is there any way to hook up both, maybe get the SD satellites on the 1000 and use the 500 exclusively for the HD satellite? A co-worker of mine has the same problem, so I'm wondering if the satellites are just too far spaced from our angle in Colorado to get a decent signal on a single dish. Any ideas?

Thanks!

~JT

I have 2 dishes up myself, and I install these for a living. I get better signal with a dedicated dish for 129 than I would with a 1000.2

I used to only be subscribed to the HD package and Voom. Now, with MPEG 4, I have to carry a basic packaged too. All I currently have mounted is my old Voom 18" dish (equal to Dish 300) pointed at 61.5. However, I've still got another Dish 300 and a 500 in the garage. All are legacy LNB's. With some work, I can get LOS to 119 & 110. If I add some sort of switch, I should be able to pull in signal from all three satellites, right (model 211 receiver)? What sort of switch? I've got a pair of SW21's, but I don't think they can be combined on a single receiver to tune in 3 satellites, can they?

If you had a Legacy twin or quad on the Dish500 for 119&110 you could use an SW-21 to combine the 61.5. If all you have are Legacy duals you would need and SW-64. You would then have to run 6 lines to the switch. It would be easier and cheaper probably to switch everything to DP and DPP. Just get a Dishpro Plus twin for the 119&110 and a Dishpro Dual for the 61.5.