Two HD TV's: Two 942s?

msb212

Original poster
Jun 4, 2004
Hi -- I am a longtime D* subscriber, and a recent Voomer. Now that VOOM is no more (sob) I am thinking of switching to Dish. Here is my problem. I have two HD tv's - one, a front projection theater, and a 50"plasma in the bedroom. Ideally, I would like to have dvr capability on both.

It is my understanding that the 942 can handle two tv's but only one in HD. So it looks like I need 2 942's if I want to be able to watch both HD tvs in HD.

Dish is telling me that they will let me lease the first one for $250, but if I want another I have to purchase it. I am concerned however, since I have heard that the 942 will be obsolete soon when they convert to MPEG 4. I do not like the idea of either paying $750 for the second unit, and then having it be worthless in a year when they switch over...

Am I analysing this correctly? Anyone know of a way around this issue, or how to get them to lease me two 942's? Thanks very much.

If you only want to drive two HDTV's, you could get one or two 921's. They've been out a while, and have depreciated a bit. I don't think you can lease them, or get them through E*. Since you're not an E* customer yet, you could lease a 942, and buy from a retailer or from ebay a 921 after the fact. With a 942 and 921, you could drive two HDTV's and one SDTV, all with DVR. Search the forum about the 921, and be warned if you go this way.

About MPEG4 obsolescence, hopefully all our questions will be answered on Aug. 8 (E* Tech Chat w/ customers; since you can't watch it on E*, you'll have to look to this board).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)