Two Hopper Question

toricred

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 6, 2004
New Mexico
I'm considering replacing my SuperJoey with a second HWS now that the timers are sort of integrated. Would I be able to see recordings from the EHD attached to both Hoppers on the main Hopper in the Master Bedroom?

You can only see EHD from the hopper it is connected to. Also, you can see from any joey currently linked to that hopper.

So a Joey can switch which Hopper it is connected to and see recordings from all the EHDs as well as both Hopper Internal drives? Can you also set up timers on both Hoppers by switching which HWS a Joey is connected to?

A Joey can see all Hoppers on the network and stream recorded programs from any Hopper. As far as tuners go, it pulls the tuner from the Hopper it is assigned to.

So a Joey can switch which Hopper it is connected to and see recordings from all the EHDs as well as both Hopper Internal drives? Can you also set up timers on both Hoppers by switching which HWS a Joey is connected to?

Yes and Yes. :)

Reactions: ChadT41
A Joey can see all Hoppers on the network and stream recorded programs from any Hopper. As far as tuners go, it pulls the tuner from the Hopper it is assigned to.
I wouldn't say "assigned" to. Linked to. You can change which one it is linked to by a couple of button pushes at anytime.

Currently I'm using my HWS as the receiver at my main viewing location. I have a wireless Joey that's not being used. Would there be any advantage to using the Joey instead of the Hopper?

What do you mean "Main Viewing Location"? If you mean room, then you could move it back and forth to other rooms with a WJ. If you mean another building or residence in general... A hopper is necessary for a joey to work.

I mean a room. Basically what I'm asking is if there is any advantage to using a Joey at a viewing location as opposed to using the HWS.

HWS will be snappier, gives PIP/Swap functionality and Netflix (but Netflix should come to Joeys). Other than that, not much different.

Reactions: ChadT41
I don't use PIP (never figured out how) and my TV has Netflix until the Joey supports it. Once I have two Hoppers it sounds like the Joey would be better in this location so it could be used to set up timers on both of the Hoppers. Until then I'll keep using the Hopper for my main viewing location.

One thing you dont see mentioned often. The Joey and Hopper have a slight delay from one another. If you played them side by side, I beleive it the hopper first, then a second later is the Joey.

The Hopper has Bluthooth capability. My wife goes to bed fairly early, so Using BT headphones, I don't bother her.
If there is a specfic show on an ehd, you can move it back to the Hopper and watch it from the other one.
Most people record far more shows than they will ever watch.

I have been doing DVR stuff since Dish released their first model. I moved to using a PC using SageTV/MediaPortal/XBMC/NPVR/etc. for about 10 years. In various HDD failures I've probably lost more recordings than my entire family has ever watched.

I think the OP is referring to the latest software that SOME subscribers have gotten that will offer to record a program on the OTHER Hopper instead of using the 3rd tuner or if you are out of tuners of the Hopper or Joey one is using. It is a great feature, but with some quirks. I only use it for ONCE recordings because the timer will be created on the OTHER Hopper and stay there until deleted, unless it is a ONCE timer.

How is that a quirk, if I create a timer that isn't a "once" timer it means I want it to keep recording as required. So seems like normal operation.
I agree, but what I think was being mentioned as the quirk, is that if you set it up at hopper A, and it conflicts to Hopper B, then even if the conflict is resolved in the future, Hopper B will continue to get the recording. I get where he is coming from, however as long as it is recording, I dont give a damn where it is recording... being able to watch it anywhere in the house and all.

Ok, ya, that makes sense. From my perspective since most timers we have are recurring that any conflict is most likely to be an ongoing conflict with other things being recorded at the same time on a daily/weekly basis.

If the timer decides to go to second Hopper and there are no tuners available then what happens? Does it cause the timer that was created on the second hopper not to fire? Would it tell you if it couldnt record as a result?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)