Two LNBF alignment question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
How does the holder clamp the LNBF?
Bob

The cradles unscrew and split in half. You put the LNBF in and snug it down with a screw. It's all tapped and threaded including the front nut which adjusts the skew.

very friggin cool :)

Took over a week to get it done and bugs out. The front cap that had to be redone took 10 hours alone. Hope it performs well. I would have messed with it today but spent half the night yesterday rebuilding my channel database and sorting my 2700. It's all clean, lean and in good order now. I've been kinda beat all day so I didn't feel like messing with the dish. I'll schedule it in this week sometime.

great Job!!

I would use the front bolt for the Sat arc and do the skew individually on the LNBs. I like the way the each LNB swivels on the mount to maximise the dish area it can use./ it will be interesting to see the spread you can get.

Looks good! Nice solid design. Should work well for what you want, and gives plenty of possible combinations for degrees off-centre to boost a weaker satellite.

We'll see what happens when I install it. It is a nice piece of workmanship. The ADTH dish seems well suited for what I'm trying to do. After messing with it the other day it seems designed for multiple birds. The 2 degrees off boresight on a 4 degree spread will be interesting to see the signal quality results. Now if the HTN mux would work right I'd be a happy camper.

SUCCESS!

I just finished installing the new dual LNBF bracket and tweaking the dish. I don't know how HTN will do since it's at it's peak this morning about 63Q. (I really don't expect any improvement there)

I kept AMC 4 at maximum signal by making my azimuth and elevation adjustments on the dish itself for that bird. Then I played with the skewing bracket and the LNBF slide for G 19. From what I can see the numbers are very good. There as good or very close to having each bird at boresight. Since I've seen readings of both there the last week or so I have a good idea what is what.

All in all I'm very pleased with the results. I will post pictures later. I saw a good window early this morning to schedule it in and I went with it.

Too bad HTN wasn't a problem child at night since the bracket and design was a winner for my dish.

Something I kind of expected was there is a gap between both LNBF's unlike the geosat bracket. Since my dish is elliptical vs round I figured that's how it would turn out. Makes me wonder if I could actually get a 2 degree satellite spread with this puppy (Like 123 and 125). Maybe some day I'll experiment :)

Will post more and pictures later. Gotta clean up out there, take a coffee break and go work on some clients jobs now.

Pictures

Okay here are some good pictures, closeups and many angles. BTW it's working good been listening to the playback of Mike Kohl on Access America. Good signals it's acting like it's at boresight on each bird just about, some channels may be down only 2 to 3 points if it was at center. Built like a tank too :D

Who's next to build something custom :)

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 136
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 137
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 116
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 124
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 122
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Something I kind of expected was there is a gap between both LNBF's unlike the geosat bracket. Since my dish is elliptical vs round I figured that's how it would turn out.

The gap is a very good thing, gives you room to adjust to peak. As well, if you went to the extreme end of your arc you would need that extra space to close it up.

From the photos, looks like AMC4 is about 1 degree off-centre, and G19 about 3 degrees off-centre.

Excellent work, even if it doesn't help much with HTN (hope it does, but not holding my breath), it is a worthy innovation.

We'll I went out last night at 7pm and tried to touch up HTN's mux when it went to the dogs like clockwork. What I ended up doing was messing up my alignment to the max and couldn't get it back where I wanted. The Pansat meter don't respond much to signals at 12 to 15Q. :( That caused me to keep adjusting which totaled it. To make things worse I cross threaded a bolt on the azimuth adj that jammed tight. I was forced to pull the dish off the pole and take the mount assembly in the house and put it in a vice and hacksaw the bolt off. This was after 9 already I was disgusted and tired. I replaced both bolts that hold the mount on and went back outside and said to myself lets just get it up and running tonight I can fine tune in the light tomorrow. Working in the dark blows but that's when HTN goes down.

Well I threw it back together took a static elevation of amc-4 with the inclinometer using BVN for tuning. I actually brought up BVN higher that I had all evening. I figured that's good and tightened it down. Checked HTN still low so I said screw that route. Then I went to g19 and adjusted for good quality using the sliders and skew in the front. Said thats it for the night. Today I will go check a few things and see what happens. BTW HTN started coming back up around 10:30 pm Chicago time. This morning it's back at 60.

Most stuff looks pretty good this morning. I want to check a few things later today and maybe touch it up a bit mostly g-19 using the clamp adjustments only.

I learned a few things yesterday about how signals and positions interact with this new clamp assembly. Also never tune a signal that is around 12 to 15Q on the Pansat without hope of coming up.

As usual Murphys law came into play with me big time and made the situation worse.

No matter what I do with that dish it is not strong enough to keep HTN from falling off the digital cliff when its playing its game. The best thing to do is throw in the towel on that, and hope they fix there issue eventually. I need to focus on the benefits of the way it works on the rest of the channels.

I appreciate the nice comments from everyone. Thanks for all your reply's. ;)

Hopefully things will be uphill from here.

The gap is a very good thing, gives you room to adjust to peak. As well, if you went to the extreme end of your arc you would need that extra space to close it up.

From the photos, looks like AMC4 is about 1 degree off-centre, and G19 about 3 degrees off-centre.

Excellent work, even if it doesn't help much with HTN (hope it does, but not holding my breath), it is a worthy innovation.

It's a totally different animal then what I'm used to, so there is a learning curve here. Im sure the adjustability can be a big plus when trying different satellite combinations. I have to quit focusing on HTN since unless I find an bigger dish orphan (no cashflow for a new one now, bad economy) or they fix the issue all the tweaking in the world won't help. At this point I need to get it dialed in the best and enjoy it for what it is. I really don't watch the HTN channels much but they are a nice addition.

Wonder if I can hit AMC-1 by just sliding a lnbf slider? in theory I think it would work. Maybe I need to do that and shoot for... (well you know what is there for our listening pleasure). :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)