Two or more Technotrend 3600 USB devices on same PC

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mkanet

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 17, 2009
North California
I'ved asked this same question on all over the world. However, it seems like there is nobody on earth who has tried to use more than one of these on the same PC. At least there's no evidence of this anywhere recorded in Internet history.

Will two or more of this model tuner work on the same PC using 3rd party software such as DVB Dream, DVB Viewer?

I can't find any information anywhere if this is possible or not. Does anyone at all know? Tried calling their TT tech support, but they only speak german. I tried telling to them to answer their support email. But they seemed to conveniently say they cant speak English.

I have tried asking on the DVB Dream Forum, DVB Viewer forum, tried emailing developers directly.... nothing.

I'm begging to think more and more that there aren't really anymore people that are interested in using DVB-S on PCs.. at least only a very limited amount.

I've used two devices at the same time with Dvbviewer. Not Technotrends so I can't comment on them. Its been a while but I think I used a Dvbworld 2104 and a Dvbworld 2004. I used one to handle my 10' c/ku dish and the other my 90 cm ku dish. I recall having both pictures in boxes on the screen at the same time. Its possible but what are you trying to do?

Thanks for replying Starman, the problem is using two of the SAME devices. For example, if you had two 2104's on the same machine, I dont think you would be so fortunate since they aren't using the same driver.

I've used two devices at the same time with Dvbviewer. Not Technotrends so I can't comment on them. Its been a while but I think I used a Dvbworld 2104 and a Dvbworld 2004. I used one to handle my 10' c/ku dish and the other my 90 cm ku dish. I recall having
both pictures in boxes on the screen at the same time. Its possible but what are you trying to do?

mkanet

I haven't used 2 sat receivers connected to the same PC, but used other identical devices, connected to same PC's different USB ports. Each device is recognized separately by the system and serviced independently regardless whether they are the same or different. I assume, the same driver will be loaded twice into RAM, if you connect 2 identical devices. You should have no problem handling this with PC Sat software either. In addition, why not try Windows 7 Media Center handle this for you instead of any extra packages?

I already have 10 USB devices on the same machine. 8 of the USB based tuners. 4 of them are identical, 2 of them identical

4 R5000 based tuners USB, 2 dual tuner based QAM/ATSC USB.

What I'm talking about is specific to DVB-S2 (same device).

mkanet

I haven't used 2 sat receivers connected to the same PC, but used other identical devices, connected to same PC's different USB ports. Each device is recognized separately by the system and serviced independently regardless whether they are the same or different. I assume, the same driver will be loaded twice into RAM, if you connect 2 identical devices. You should have no problem handling this with PC Sat software either. In addition, why not try Windows 7 Media Center handle this for you instead of any extra packages?

Satellite broadcast standard makes a little difference for either connected to USB ports devices service by the PC, or Win 7 MC operation - it does support DVB-S2 devices. However, MPEG 4 parallel streams decoding imposes higher load on your PC or Graphics card Proc. Also keep in mind, too many devices connected to USB ports of the PC may lead to motherboard chipsets overheating, when servicing all of them simultaneously at full load. Both Mobo USB chipsets are often different, so you need to balance the load based on detail Mobo capacity. Make sure, its properly ventilated. Parallel high volume processing of multiple USB streams may also cause processing queue and delays affecting pic quality, which depends on processing capacity of your USB and other Mobo chipsets, and the main Proc. The success also depends on versions of the drivers and software used. Its a trial and error endeavor on your part, and depends a lot on your particular PC hardware specs, and the load type. Who can possibly tell you more without having tested a very similar setup to yours in the same operational conditions?

Last edited:
Its a reproducible issue on the DVB world USB devices as well as TBS. It doesnt matter what kind of motherboard or 32 bit Windows OS; as the behavior is the same.

Satellite broadcast standard makes a little difference for either USB ports service by the PC, or Win 7 MC operation - it does support DVB-S2. However, MPEG 4 parallel streams decoding imposes more load on your PC or Graphics card Proc. Also keep in mind, too many devices connected to USB ports of the PC may lead to both motherboard chipsets overheating, when servicing all of them simultaneously at full load. Both Mobo USB chipsets are often different, so you need to balance the load based on detail Mobo capacity. Make sure, its properly ventilated. Parallel high volume processing of multiple USB streams may also cause processing delays affecting pic quality, which depends on processing capacity of your USB and other Mobo chipsets. Its a trial and error endeavor on your part, and depends a lot on your particular PC hardware specs and type. Who can possibly tell you more without having tested a very similar setup to yours in the same operational conditions?

It looks like you now claim, there is a reproducible "issue" with supporting multiple DVB-S2 devices regardless of hardware, software and OS used, while your original question was, whether such potential problem was ever reported by anyone. Asking similar questions "in general" without linking to particular hardware and software config sounds senseless to me. Why don't you try and share with us your detail specs and the results?

I'm not sure how else to phrase it. Its been tested on multiple machines for DVB World USB devices from another forum member here. There is also no evidence anywhere of someone having two identical USB DVB-S2 devices. The TBS USB device limitation with same behavior was already confirmed by the manufacturer.

Sorry, if that doesnt make sense to you; as there is no other way to describe this limitation.

Bottom line is if someone has 2 IDENTICAL USB DVB-S2 devices on any type of PC. I would love to know about it.

It looks like you now claim, there is a reproducible "issue" with supporting multiple DVB-S2 devices regardless of hardware, software and OS used, while your original question was, whether such potential problem was ever reported by anyone. Asking similar questions "in general" without linking to particular hardware and software config sounds senseless to me. Why don't you try and share with us your detail specs and the results?

I am the other forum member. I have four DVB World 2104 USB devices plus one TechnoTrend 3200 PCI card. I would really like to have two or more of the 2104s running on my Windows media (Sage not µsoft) server. With two instances of any combination of DVB apps compatible with these units, I can set both up to a different 2104 and they will independently tune just fine. However only one can send its transport stream. The other just sits there.

I've tried XP, Vista and two different motherboards over the past year monitoring progress with the DVB World drivers. A year ago the system wouldn't even recognize the second unit, so there has been progress. In the meantime I've been working with one 2104 and the TechnoTrend just fine. I don't care as much if the 2+ devices are identical, but it would be nice.

If your 2104 and TT work simultaneously without a problem, while connected to the same set of USB ports as the two 2104s, its sounds like the DVB World 2104 device driver issue. If you reported it earlier in the DVB World thread, was there any comment from the DVB World developer? I'm certain, he reads the thread almost daily.

However, I don't see any reason for MKANET to make similar conflict assumption about TT 3600 USB device driver, or any other for that matter. Besides, how DVB-S2 standard use can aggravate the issue apart from a typical S2 device driver being fresher and less polished?

Last edited:
I already confirmed with TBS (another DVB-S2 USB device manufacturer) that their drivers will not support two of the same devices except for their dual tuner PCI model. I think its pretty reasonable for me to at least find one person that has this working on another product before buying a pair.

I already contacted the guy that answers the DVB World support email requests via MSN Messenger. He cant confirm that two of the same USB devices will work on the same PC. However, he does have one PCI and one USB device on the same PC; which makes sense, since the drivers are different. He said he will ask the engineer yesterday. However, I dont know how serious his efforts are to see if this works or not; as our communication was via Internet chat and he was at home. Im not sure what their schedule is over there; as, he seems to have been home since last week (I contacted him via MSN last week too and wasnt sure when he would be in the office).

If your 2104 and TT work simultaneously without a problem, while connected to the same set of USB ports as the two 2104s, its sounds like the DVB World 2104 device driver issue. If you reported it earlier in the DVB World thread, was there any comment from the DVB World developer? I'm certain, he reads the thread almost daily.

However, I don't see any reason for MKANET to make similar conflict assumption about TT 3600 USB device driver, or any other for that matter. Besides, how DVB-S2 standard use can aggravate the issue apart from a typical device driver being fresher and less polished?

Contact Peter at DVB World. He's the guy, who develops their PCBs and drivers, and does tuner testing, and owns the company for that matter. In fact, he's the only R&D of this company with contract tuner production. And I think, he's the guy, who answers on this forum as well. If he didn't test it, the chance is nobody did. :)

I suggest to also ask Igor Liplianin from Belarus - the guy, who develops Linux drivers for DVB Wolrd and several other Sat Tuner devices. He may comment in a more content rich manner. Though, I assume, you're stack with Windows. If that's true, try Win 7 MC and see the difference.

Last edited:
Yes, peter is the guy I was refering to.

Contact "Peter" at DVB World. He's the guy, who develops their PCBs and drivers, and does tuner testing. In fact, he's the only R&D of this company with contract tuner production. And I think, he's the guy, who answers on this forum as well. If he didn't test it, the chance is nobody did. :)

I suggest to also ask Igor Liplianin from Belarus - the guy, who develops Linux drivers for DVB Wolrd and several other Sat Tuner devices. He may comment in a more content rich manner. Though, I assume, you're stack with Windows. If that's true, try Win 7 MC and see the difference.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts