Two questions/concerns about new 622

ctjr

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 13, 2006
Just switched over to Dish this week and overall I am very happy with the change.

I really like the 622 (and this from a long-time "Tivo or death!" guy), but I have noticed a few things that am am wondering about.

While the picture on my TV (a 50" plasma) looks MUCH better than D* on all SD broadcasts, I am noticing what appear to be compression artifacts, primarily in dark areas/scenes in both HD and SD broadcasts. Even the local HD I am getting OTA into the 622 is displaying it, so it must be the 622 instead the sat transmission.

The other strange thing is that 2 of the VOOM channels (Equator and the Art channel) kept pixelating and breaking up, then going to an "Aquiring Signal" screen. I didn't see it on any other channels, regardless of which tuner I was using (TV1 or TV2). I thought it was odd that I was experiencing sat break-up that appeared to be channel specific vs tuner specific (as I often had with D*)

Any insight would be appreciated!

Last edited:
The dropping out of the VOOM signals and then going to the "Acquiring Signal" screen sounds like it could be a problem with your signal strength from the 61.5 or 129 satellite (whichever one you're using to get your HD signal). Have you tried running a diagnostic from the "Setup" menu on the reciever in order to see what your signal strength is?

I have(had) the same exact problem with Gallery. Gallery (Art) seems to be on the worst transponder on 129 (#6). We had pretty bad rain/weather the weekend I had Dish installed in January, and Gallery dropped constantly, and was out for a few hours completely and i was thinking 'great, Dish really sucks', but i got most of the other channels in ok. Gallery was out many hours that weekend, and my signal on Gallery hovered around 35 to 40 that weekend, but moved up to 50ish when the weather cleared up. Still, I had Dish come out and try to improve the signal on 129. I have a 1000+, so they had to lower the signal on 110, 118 119 to boost 129, but my signals on the other 3 were way strong, so now all three sat signals are in the 80 to 100+ range. Just checked, and Gallery is actually at 81 for me now. You may need to tweak your Sat aiming.

Thanks for the tips! I'll check this evening for my sig strength and give Dish a call.

Anyone have any insight into the compression artifacts of the 622>

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts