two quick grounding questions

eag

Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
I am rewiring a Dish Network Dish 500 system which was poorly installed and never properly grounded. The dish is mounted on a galvanized pole in the yard. I am running new dual coax with a 17 awg ground wire buried in pvc conduit from the dish back to the house. I was going to attach the ground wire to the dish itself and run it back to the common ground and then run a heavier guage solid wire from a dual grounding block to the common ground. Two questions:

If I attach the ground (messenger) wire to ground the dish, does this create a problem since the dish is mounted to a pole which is already driven in the ground?

I have an overhead electrical service. Is it acceptable to attach my ground wires to the metal conduit pipe which runs down from the weatherhead to the meter? I noticed that this is where my telephone wire is grounded.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

If you don't include a #6 solid copper wire bonded directly to an 8 ft. grounding rod at the dish and back to the electrical system ground, I'd just ground the messenger to the long elevation pivot bolt and commect the other end to the grounding block and to the house's system ground.

Strapping of low voltage coax to the outside of a line voltage conduit is prohibited by codes 2002 to present. Just use appropriate clips to attach the cables to the wall.

Although a bonded grounding rod with #6 copper is ideal, the messenger ground noted above is allowed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)