Two receivers in one location, can I split the line?

msully

Original poster
Aug 8, 2004
I want to put two receivers in the same location, one for TV and one for music only. The music only receiver will be part of my poor mans whole house audio system. I plan to leave it on 24 hours a day along with the stereo receiver and turn down the volume controls in each room when not listening to music. Can I split the cable and run one line to each, is there a specific spliiter I need? Any other ideas?

Thx,

msully .. are you talking about two satellite receivers? If so, then sycho's info will not work. You will need two separate lines from the dish or multi-switch; one for each receiver.

what is the word on the next generation of switches from dish network in regards to this scenario? I've heard that soon, if not now, one could place a switch at either end to perform the task. I don't have specifics, but I am curious as to HOW. CablerMN is correct at this time. You'd need 2 runs. But in the near future for dish-net platform....otherwise, maybe.

thanks for the heads up. i saw a post in another thread that had a partial answer I was looking for. I guess it is enough for me for now. looking forward to the future, we should see a few more things to make our installations simple.

Dish does have a 2-in-1 stacked-band system now called DishPro Plus, but that feature works only with their dual-tuner receivers (322, 522, 721, 921), DishPro LNBs, an expensive external switch (DPP44), and a "separator" behind the receiver. (It'll be simpler when they release the DishPro Plus LNB, which won't need the switch.)

This WILL NOT WORK for two single-tuner receivers; separate receivers MUST have separate drops. Only dual-tuner receivers can take full advantage of DishPro Plus. However, if you can get a 322 or 522 (only new lease customers can get them for now), those are dual-output receivers that will do what you want. The 721 and 921 each have two tuners, but you can't send different shows to different TVs; you can with the 322 and 522.