Two Receivers, Same Remote, Bummer

Status
Not open for further replies.

RT-Cat

Thread Starter
"My person-well trained"
Pub Member / Supporter
May 30, 2011
1,621
197
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
As the title shows that is a problem. One unit is used about 85% of the time so the other receiver that has one of those IR pickups that can be placed anywhere gets the other 15% of use. I fix the problem by moving that pickup out of sight or cover up the other receivers IR pickup. It works, but......
Would it be possible to go inside and change one of the units and the remote so they would not interfere with each other? Or would it take an electronics pro and equipment?
 

Magic Static

FTA Geek
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 12, 2010
6,921
4,063
Montana
Could you arrange it so when you turn one off it turns on the other one? You always have one on and one off.
 

RT-Cat

Thread Starter
"My person-well trained"
Pub Member / Supporter
May 30, 2011
1,621
197
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
IR codes are firmware coded. Not user changeable.
Thanks. Guess I will continue what I am doing.

Could you arrange it so when you turn one off it turns on the other one? You always have one on and one off.
That would work as long as they were not recording something. Also one of them needs the time and date set when ever it has been off.
 

DVB-S2

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 6, 2013
73
44
As the title shows that is a problem. One unit is used about 85% of the time so the other receiver that has one of those IR pickups that can be placed anywhere gets the other 15% of use. I fix the problem by moving that pickup out of sight or cover up the other receivers IR pickup. It works, but......
Would it be possible to go inside and change one of the units and the remote so they would not interfere with each other? Or would it take an electronics pro and equipment?
You could use a wireless remote extender and cover over the IR emitter on the remote. I used one with my Micro HD so that I could control the receiver from beside the dish. The type I have replaces one of the cells in the remote with a half-length cell combined with the RF transmitter. The receiver unit of the extender has an IR emitter that you can tape over the IR receiver on the satellite receiver. I found that I had to cover the IR emitter on the remote to stop the Micro HD from being confused by IR commands coming from two different emitters.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 
  • Like
Reactions: harshness

bpalone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 1, 2014
631
424
44N 105W
How much money and time you willing to put into solving the problem? :)

Have you done a search engine search? There might be a chance that this problem has reared its head on other types of equipment and there might be an off the shelf solution or a reasonably easy do it yourself one. Just a thought, for what it is worth.
 

RT-Cat

Thread Starter
"My person-well trained"
Pub Member / Supporter
May 30, 2011
1,621
197
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
Interesting with the extender and I will do a search. Not interested in spending $$. No leaves on my money tree in the back yard.
 

DVB-S2

SatelliteGuys Family
Oct 6, 2013
73
44
Interesting with the extender and I will do a search. Not interested in spending $$. No leaves on my money tree in the back yard.
The one I have is called "Next Generation Remote Control Extender", $33 currently on Amazon.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk
 

RT-Cat

Thread Starter
"My person-well trained"
Pub Member / Supporter
May 30, 2011
1,621
197
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
The one I have is called "Next Generation Remote Control Extender", $33 currently on Amazon......
Interesting device. I understand the covering of the remote emitter so the other similar receiver won't pickup anything. I wonder how this device can tell what button I pushed on my remote. Also some bad reviews on Amazon about very bad customer service. Not an issue if the item continues to work OK.
 

Titanium

AI6US
Lifetime Supporter
May 23, 2013
6,683
7,302
Meadow Vista, Northern California
The NextGen detector/transmitter senses the IR pulse generation from the remote's PCB then transmits the RF signal it to the NextGen receiver. The receiver converts the RF pulse into IR for the emitter. The emitter is placed against the target STB's IR sensor and the IR light is blocked from reaching other devices.
 
  • Like
Reactions: RT-Cat

. Raine

SatelliteGuys Pro
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 6, 2013
2,689
944
North America, CT.
I use a RF extender with my MicroHd, it works good. I too had to cover the IR sensor in the receiver. Don't remember the brand, I've had it quite some time, but I bought it off Amazon, so I could look it up later. IIRC, it was around $50.
 

RT-Cat

Thread Starter
"My person-well trained"
Pub Member / Supporter
May 30, 2011
1,621
197
Cold, Cold,Michigan USA
The NextGen detector/transmitter senses the IR pulse generation from the remote's PCB then transmits the RF signal it to the NextGen receiver. The receiver converts the RF pulse into IR for the emitter. The emitter is placed against the target STB's IR sensor and the IR light is blocked from reaching other devices.
Purrrrrfect explanation on how it works.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Titanium
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Top