Two stearable dish set-up question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

ayelvington

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 19, 2011
Russell, PA
I have a BUD driven by a V-box, and a Ku dish using USALS. I want to use one receiver (GEOSATpro MicroHD) to run both of them. Both dishes have universal LNBFs using 13/18 polarity switching. I have either a 22 kHz switch (2-port), or a DiSEqC switch (4:1) to choose from. So folks, which switch would you use for this setup? I certainly don't want to be confusing the V-box, and I want everything downstream to work right.

RSVP

Neighbor Al

Do you want to use the KU universal LNBF's low band (tune 10.7 - 11.7GHz) or are you only tuning the typical North American high band (11.7 - 12.2GHz)?

Are you sure the C-band is universal type with two LO frequencies? These are rare and typically the LNBFs have a single LO 5150MHz.

Reactions: KE4EST
Do you want to use the KU universal LNBF's low band (tune 10.7 - 11.7GHz) or are you only tuning the typical North American high band (11.7 - 12.2GHz)?

Are you sure the C-band is universal type with two LO frequencies? These are rare and typically the LNBFs have a single LO 5150MHz.
You're right, the C-band LO is 5150MHz. The markings on my Ku-band LNBF have worn off, but I do want the typical N.A. high band.

I'm thinking of starting with the DISEqC switch since I'm more comfortable with that. Warn me if you anticipate a problem, otherwise I'll press on.

Thanks,

Al

If you are going to place the switch inside and run one port to the VBox>>>C-band LNB and another port to the HH motor >>> KU LNBF, I would recommend using the 22KHz switch as it will usually stand-up better to repeated switching under load to pass voltage out to the motor/LNBF without failure.

To make this work properly with the Universal type LNBF, run the switch 22KHz OFF port to the VBox>>> C-band LNB and 22KHz ON port to the HH motor>>> Universal LNBF.

While either the DiSEqC or the 22KHz switches will work, the DiSEqC switches typically are not rated for the repeated switching under load from the motor and may prematurely fail. Just my observation and your mileage may vary.... :D

Ideally, the switch would be placed AFTER the HH motor and a coax run back to the VBox>>> C-band LNB and another coax to the KU LNBF. Not always practical or optimized to be running cables like this, especially if long runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: ayelvington
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)