Two Technicians say NLOS for HD, Satellite Director App says I have a 100% clear EA!!

OxFORD

Original poster
Jul 27, 2012
N. Carolina
Some reading required here, so please bear with me ...

I have a cancellation scheduled with DISH. This was a result of a supposed NLOS issue for my desired HD upgrade (and I am still pissed about losing AMC). Anyway ... I currently have a Dish 500 & plain DP LNB. I'm pointing at the WA 110 & 119 w/ about a 70% signal (trees). My receiver is a JVC 510 SD.

So I purchased an "owned" ViP 612 receiver to upgrade my current Standard Definition 510. I only have one TV in the house, so the ViP 612 would be the only active receiver. DISH has so far sent two different Techs out, and both have said NLOS for HD on the WA 110, 119, & 129 because of trees. They also said the same for the EA on 77, 72.7, & 61.5. I was confused about this, mostly because my neighbor has a "Turbo HD" dish and his is pointing at the EA ... I have the same clear picture of the sky as my neighbor when looking at the EA.

So I cancelled DISH and scheduled TimeWarner to come out.

With TimeWarner, their Sales Dept specifically said that I'd get the latest Cisco DVR/HD box. The tech shows up wanting to install a beat-up Scientific-Atlanta box that reeked of tobacco smoke. ~ I sent the guy back down the road ...

So I'm back at square one & am about to be without any cable provider. Thinking that the DISH Techs that came to my house were either confused or lazy, I downloaded an Android App called "Satellite Director" to check things myself. Sure enough, I have a NLOS problem due to trees when looking at the WA, confirming the reason for my current SD signal fades. However, when I move to the secondary position that I proposed to the DISH Tech(s) and look at the EA Sats, I have a picture perfect LOS to all three EA Sats!!

What the heck!!?? Why do the DISH Tech's keep telling me this can't be done?? If I do this myself, do I just need to pick up a 1000.4 kit off eBay??

What satellite are your locals on? If you are on western sats 110/119/129, you don't have line of sight. If you can get them on eastern sats 61.5/72.7/77 , you would be okay for eastern arc install.

I thought after reading the post - could your HD locals only be on the WA? Also just an FYI you don't need the 77 satellite, and in fact if you can use the EA they may install the newer dish for just 61.5 and 72.

What satellite are your locals on? If you are on western sats 110/119/129, you don't have line of sight. If you can get them on eastern sats 61.5/72.7/77 , you would be okay for eastern arc install.

I don't know ... how do you tell??

Not sure what area of NC your in but,I can tell you that the Charlotte locals are on both arcs.

If you are in an area like I am where the locals only come off of 129 (stupid low satellite on the east coast, like 21 degrees high) that may be your problem.
Have you considered getting a UHF antenna installed to pick up your local channels? If you get an OTA for locals then a 1000.2 EA should get the rest of your non-local channels in perfect HD

Skimming over the list it appears that all the NC locals are available on the eastern arc.

Cha
Ral
Wil
Grbo
Grvle

Looks like you are eligible for eastern arc install if your locals are on the eastern arc sats. I would call a local installer and get it done.

call a local retailer out as retailer try harder to get you installed than most installers from Dish. let the flaming begin.
Actually I disagree we have to worry about verifications. Yes retailers get paid by only doing the job but when it comes to 2 or 3 pole solutions some say hmm do I do this 1 job or go complete 2 others quicker then 1. Now I said some not alk.

My major locals are:
WBTW - Myrtle Beach, SC
WPDE - Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC
WWMB - Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC
WMBF - Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC
WFXB - Myrtle Beach/Florence, SC

PM me. We cover your area from either of our retail stores in Fayetteville, Greenville, or Summerville, SC. We'd be more than happy to see if your installation can be done. We can do the unconventional work and methods that the Dish Network internal installers are prohibited from doing.

Most guys wouldn't touch a job like yours because either it would take too long (installers are overloaded with numerous installs and service calls) or if they took the time to do it, they risk having a Dish Network Quality Control Tech come to your job and pick out some minor deficiency in your installation (wrong color connector, 4 degrees line-of-sight clearance instead of 5 degrees) and use that as a reason to not pay the guy anything for all the work that he's done. Retailers have a lot more leeway.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts