Two tv's in living room for football (Hopper/Joey)

Ill wait till the install and see what looks easier. All the coax feeds drop into my AC blower closet, which is real close to the ent center in the living room. The sat guys run the dish lines thru the attic and drop into this little room, then easily wire up as many rooms as needed. Seeing how close it is, I could buy a 20 foot pc of coax and run it from the closet, down the wall, and behind the ent center. Youd' never see it.

Here is an image of my living room setup:

IMG_2499.jpg

If you notice on the right, on the other side of the FSU shrine lol, there is a small white door. That is where ALL the coax feeds for the house drop in, and where the sat guys drop there lines from the dish. If I understand you correctly, they would run two cables to that space, and into the "node". They would then take one cable out of the Hopper port and tie it into the coax that connects to the jack behind my tv stand. They would then take coax out of the Joey port, and connect it to the cable that feeds the jack in my bedroom.

Now, when I bring the Directv box and tv in now, I set them on the sub. It seems I could just buy a 20ft run of coax, and on Saturdays just connect to a joey portion of the node in the closet, run out and behind the tv stand to the sub, then bam, joey has signal. Is that correct?

Thanks.

Whenever we build, one of my requests will be that i have two jacks in the living room next to each other, with separate feeds to make this easier :)

Unless I am reading it wrong, I do not see why that would not work.
I was also going to suggest wireless (great feature for portability within the home), but that close to the node, and temporary, that would be an easy fix.

Yeah, basically I just break it all out Saturday early, get it ready and we watch two games all day, sometimes 3 with PIP on the HR34. Then I put it all back up Sunday AM. Being ACC and SEC folks, there is a lot to keep up with LOL.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/279755-Hopper-And-Joey-Wiring-Diagrams?p=2806418#post2806418

Looking at page 8 on the job aid, left side. One feed would come out of the node and connect to the coax in the closet that feeds the Hopper jack behind my stand. Why could I not come off that jack with a short piece of coax, instal a tap, then run coax to the Hopper and coax to the Joey, just like Im doing with Directv now? Even if they only install a solo node, with one line to the Hopper jack and one line to the Joey jack. I should be able to tap at the Hopper jack, between the Hopper and Node, and supply both the Joey and Hopper in the living room. Unless I am missing something.

hopper1-1.jpg

hopper2.jpg

Im guessing when the Joey is in the living room, the bedroom part of the node would need to be terminated, but thats the same thing I have to do with the Directv splitter when only running one tv.

Cool.

Basically, during football I should be able to move the Joey and tv in to the living room, connect the eth cable for the hub the hopper is already on with an eth cable, and then share. I'll have to experiment after the install next Friday.

This configuration will work fine and it all you need to do. I have moved my Joey around the house several times without a coax cable. In addition to my WiFi network at home, I have wired routers on all three floors. I just connect the Joey to another TV, plug in the power and run a temporary ethernet cable from the Joey to an open port on the router. No COAX needed. Works just fine if you don't have a WiFi adapter for the Joey.

The techs installed the node elsewhere, and just put the tap in the closet where all my wires come in for the entire house. This gives me two options, I can either use the eth. cable method, or just unscrew the client out side of the tap that runs to the bedroom, screw on a short pc of coax, and run the cable right out of that closet to the back of the TV. Awesome.

Just wanted to point out that instead of moving the joey around, you can run an hdmi splitter from the joey and a long hdmi cable run to the 2nd (living room) tv and have the 2 tv's connected at all times. You would then want a 2nd remote for the Joey so that you would have a remote to control the joey in each room. No need to have the joey or hopper in the same room as the tv. I have a 50 ft hdmi run that works fine.

I used it last night.

I set the tv and stand up in front of the A/C unit door. I then unhooked the client side of the tap inside that A/C closet, hooked up a 4ft pc of coax to the client side, ran it out to the joey, and shut the door. Worked like a charm and took me 5 mins to get going.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts