Two tv's, one reciever

boxmaker

Original poster
Sep 4, 2007
Hi, I have what is likley to be a dumb question. I have Directv. I have upgraded to HD, and as a result have extra recievers. I have a workshop that is wired, but I am not interested in paying another monthy fee as I will not watch tv in there very often. I have been moving a reciever when I need to, and this is fine, but I wonder if there is not another, easier way. I would like to be able to just put the card in another box, but Directv does not allow for this.
Any suggestions?
Thank you.

you have a cable running out to the workshop correct?

Pick up a Rf to RCA Modulator Amazon.com: Philips RF Modulator (PH61159): Electronics run the 3 component cables from your HD receiver into it, and then run a coax cable out to where your cable for your workshop is. Plug the Coax cable into the workshop TV.

You may want to pick up a R64R RF frequency remote so you can change channels in the workshop. Keep in mind both TV's would show the same thing.

Thanks Jef,
This is a good solution. To be clear, my shop does have a coax running into it. I have no problem with having both tv's on the same channel, but of course would want to change channels from secondary location. Do you know the range of the RF remote? My shop is about 300 feet from the primary location.
Thanks again.

300' might be pushing the limits of the cable but luckily you are only worried about DB loss and not voltage loss at that point. May want to pick up a 14db and 24db TAP if you get a snowy or wavy screen.

The Range is like 50' maybe 100' depending on how congested the air is near your house. there are some aftermarket "cones" you could get that may increase your range ability but you would pay more for those than the RC64R. You could just walk'er in, grab a beer and change the channel :)