Two Vip622's Sharing Content

sfmfs

Original poster
Nov 30, 2004
These devices have about every feature I could ask for, including apparently an active ethernet port coming soon. Why can't I share content between the devices. If I recorded a show in the family room, why can't I watch it in the bedroom and vice versa. Wireless would obviously be preferred, but wired ethernet would be better than nothing. For those of you close with Dish and their current and future offerings, is this something that is being worked on. Thanks for any and all help, Steven :eureka

These devices have about every feature I could ask for, including apparently an active ethernet port coming soon. Why can't I share content between the devices. If I recorded a show in the family room, why can't I watch it in the bedroom and vice versa. Wireless would obviously be preferred, but wired ethernet would be better than nothing. For those of you close with Dish and their current and future offerings, is this something that is being worked on. Thanks for any and all help, Steven :eureka

Based on posts before, the ethernet connection is not for "sharing" content between DVRs. The most current capablility in the near future will be to use VOIP instead of a telephone landline. There seems to be some optimism that eventually you might be able to share recorded programs using the external HDD, however not in the immediate future.

sfmfs and Rickdee :welcome

The adding of the ethernet is not exactly for VOIP, it's just basic networking, allowing the 622's to send files and send information over the ethernet, as a way to replace the need for a phone line.

The sharing of content between 622's is definately being discussed, though i have not seen any specific dates.

The use of shared storage on the network, as opposed to sharing between 622's, the sharing of usb external storage (read the threads about external HDD) is also not out of the question, but not available yet. (august 15th for enabling that and a later date for sharing the drives between 622's)

So in summary i would say good questions but "watch this space"

Probably controlled by the movie studios fear of copying content. I wouldn't suggest holding your breath waiting for it to be enabled.

External USB storage, next week.

Sharing the external storage unit among ViP units, maybe December (SWAG).

Sharing of content between ViP units over the ethernet, maybe 2008.

Don't forget, VOD downloaded over the ethernet is coming. You might order a movie and have it sent to you either via satellite or broadband. No specific promises, though.

Also: If your ViP622 goes bad, the recordings on the external storage unit should be readable on the replacement ViP622, after Dish does their authorization bit.

Last edited:
It would be nice if they would let you store content over your Ethernet since I have a 2 terabite server on my network.

the issue is the DRM/Encryption stuff they HAVE to do to satisfy the MPAA and friends.

Remember they are REFORMATTING the USB drives to their OWN FILESYSTEM.

I don't think you want them reformatting your 2TB array.

I think it's just a linux native file system. They are probably hashing the receiver's ID into encryption of the file itself, but I don't think they are actually altering the file system.

I could be wrong. I don't have it yet.

There is no way that it is a custom FS, if you look at the mbr or first sectors of the fs you could probably tell what they are using or how they are encrypting.

That is a good question - What file system are they using. I have 3 of these vip622s and I would love to be able to move movies from unit to unit. Since they have not released the ability to share over the network just yet, they do allow the hd to be moved from unit to unit a couple of times. I wanted to see if it was allowable to consolidate 2 external HDs attached to 2 different vip622s, but I can not even see the contents of the HDs even thout I am running a ext2 driver on my pc. I do not want to decrypt anything, just consolidate...

Last edited:
They were demoing the ability to move recordings to a central server (HP Media center server) via the internet with playback to any 622/222 connected to the network at Team Summit. I just hope 1) they decided to pursue this feature and 2) they can get past all the MPAA restrictions. I bet first they have to work out the household key issue that they do not have working yet for USB before they can pursue it for a central server.

I have two 622's and plan to hook up an external hard drive next week. There is material that I want to archive on both units 1 and 2, but plan to have it ultimately hooked up to unit 2. As I can move the external drive 3 times, can I first hook the external hard drive to unit 1 and extract what I want to archive from it, then move it to unit 2. This way I have archived what I want to start with and have only used up 1 of my 3 moves to do it.

Has anyone done this sort of thing or have any thoughts on the subject?

It's not a custom file system. It's linux native ext3. The file systems are being created in such a standard linux way as to even leave the lost+found directories on the partition.

2 partitions created by the 622. 1 is 1GB and the other is the rest of the drive. Lots of speculating here, and until I get my drive enclosure I won't be able to test it myself, but others are looking at it. My guess is that the first (small) partition is going to hold the bits that tell the drive what receiver formatted it and all that "secret" stuff. The larger partition will have a folder where transferred recordings will go.

Will you be able to take a movie from external drive 1 and copy it over to external drive 2? I have no idea. My guess (again speculation at this point) would be "no" as the contents of the folder holding the recordings may have to match some kind of index in the 1GB partition. Makes sense if they are trying to ensure that the recordings can only exist in one place that they'd put lots of checks and balances into this.

I'm going to stomp around in the filesystem when I get my enclosure. More out of curiosity than anything else. I don't want to break this because I want it to work and I want them to continue to develop it and add new features. My guess (more speculation?) is that they've had some pretty high level unix weenies work this up to the point where it's pretty bullet proof.

But I was always the first kid on the block to show up with a screwdriver whenever anybody came home with a new toy. I just like to know how things work. :)

They were demoing the ability to move recordings to a central server (HP Media center server) via the internet with playback to any 622/222 connected to the network at Team Summit. I just hope 1) they decided to pursue this feature and 2) they can get past all the MPAA restrictions. I bet first they have to work out the household key issue that they do not have working yet for USB before they can pursue it for a central server.

I saw that this was done on another forum, but I also saw that it weas not really supported.. Sort of an at you own risk thing. They indicated that you could do exactly 3 moves before it caused a problem.

454ls6 - The thing Mike is talking about is different to the 3 times move.
Mike is talking about a server (seperate PC) that will allow you to share video's across all receivers. The 3 moves thing, you saw (external HDD) is just a single drive that you plug into a receiver.
The Media server is the way to go, and it was demo'd as he said, but we had no dates.
http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/96093-team-summit-photos.html
3rd row of pictures, there's a HP media server.

Oh and :welcome

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)