U-verse Coming My way.

Frank Jr.

Beati pacifici 5:9
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 8, 2004
Columbia S.C.
It wasn't but a few years ago all I could get was dial up internet out here. Then came at&t dsl. Which I have currently the 6.0. Then came TWC. Their internet was just to dang expensive for the speeds I want. Today I saw at&t trucks all over the place. I stopped on the way home and asked one of the guys by his truck what was up and he said they are getting ready to install U-verse out here.:eek: I am happy with Dish so the only thing I am interested in would be their dsl. Does anyone have it? Is it worth going for? I would like something around 15 Mb/s.

You'll have to see what is offered in your area. Some who were previously disgusted with uVerse may or may not be as disgusted now.

If you are getting the latest iteration in your area, 24mbit/sec is the max DSL with now 3 HD channels at once (plus 1 SD).

I had uverse for one week and got rid of it. the high def. picture was horrible compared to satellite. if you ask them they allways say they are working on improving it. how far they have come, i do not know.

and if i remember correctly, uverse internet is not dsl. dsl is a seperate product. the uverse internet is faster than dsl and delivered the same way they deliver the television signal. hence, the bandwidth restrictions they have.

I have U-Verse Internet / Phone, no TV. I currently have the 18meg service. It's great!

Occasionally it'll go stupid, but that's usually short-lived.

Not to be a downer but the guy driving the truck might not be the best source of information. It might not be available in your area for weeks, months, or years.

They claim U-Verse is Fiber optics lol..
I had U-Verse HSI for nearly 2 years now, maybe little less.
Never had an outage, really reliable, very fast, the latency is better than cable.
All in all its really good, plus the 2Wire 3800HGV-B Gateway is a monster, wireless speeds are really good, wired are A+!

They claim U-Verse is Fiber optics lol..

It is fiber to the box in the neighborhood. AT&T is starting to roll out VDSL2

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very_high_speed_digital_subscriber_line_2"]Very high speed digital subscriber line 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

VDSL2 deteriorates quickly from a theoretical maximum of 250 Mbit/s at 'source' to 100 Mbit/s at 0.5 km (1640 ft) and 50 Mbit/s at 1 km (3280 ft), but degrades at a much slower rate from there, and still outperforms VDSL. Starting from 1.6 km (1 mile) its performance is equal to ADSL2+.

AT&T will do fiber to the premises if it is put in during development of the neighborhood.

The main problem with U-Verse is that it is a bunch of different things in different areas, AT&T has been going with the least common denominator.

They need to get their service to 50-100mbit/sec internet and at least 4HD channels at once to be really competative. They need to get everyone of their U-verse customers closer than .5km from the node. Soon, the cable companies in every area they operate U-Verse in will be at 100mbit/sec internet with all the HD channels you want at the same time.

Attention U-verse customers! I have just created new forum area for AT&T U-verse discussions (http://www.satelliteguys.us/t-u-verse/) Enjoy!

I am moving all related threads (including this one) to the new forum. I hope the Topic starter is ok with that. If not - just let me know! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)