U-Verse Modem Reset Question

yourbeliefs

Something Profound
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Sep 20, 2007
Northeast
I just moved into a new campus apt that has U-Verse in it. Of course, the pillocks who installed it didn't secure the network at all and left it open with no security. Since I don't like my network being more vulnerable than France in WWII, I tried to secure the network by logging in and changing the settings. Unfortunately some jerk changed the default password that is written on the modem itself and it's telling me to call 2wire or whoever to try and get a temporary password. Since the account is technically in the campus's name, a halfway competent CSR will realize that they need to talk to THEM as opposed to me to get the temporary password. Rather than go through all this crap, I'd rather deal with it myself like I did at the last U-Verse apt and bypass campus. I have 2 questions:

1. How do I hard-reset the modem (It's a 2wire 3800 hgv I believe) so that it goes back to factory settings

2. If I do reset it back, will it still work "out of the box?" I ask because my neighbors who live upstairs work from home and need the internet running and I don't want to knock her offline for an extended period because of my incompetence.

It's looking more and more like I need to do what I dread and go through the school to get this resolved.. Somehow I don't think they're going to be very open to the idea of just giving me the password to change around what I want. However, I do think I will at least be able to get them to secure the network (I swear if they say they're going to use WEP I'm going to run down and punch them in the face) since I can point out the fact that I do work for insurance companies and need a secured connection to ensure their data isn't compromised easily. Still, I'd MUCH prefer to just do this and manage this by myself. I probably know more about networking and computers than half the staff working there.

the UVerse modem supports WPA and WPA2.
I know. At the old place I used WPA2 encryption and it seemed to work quite well. The one thing that really makes me raise an eyebrow is that when I looked at the computers in the DHCP table at the new place (I can log into the CP but I can't make any changes to the settings), one of them was DMZed and it had a weird name associated with it.. I still haven't hooked up my big computer to the system yet because I just don't trust it, which is annoying because I'd love to get back into the L4D2 demo..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)