U3: A new breed of flash drives!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ilya

XXI Century Explorer
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 16, 2004
NE OH

In case you are wondering, this has nothing to do with the U2 concert being shown on HDNet tonight! :D

Last month I was in a Best Buy store shopping for a new 1GB USB flash drive. Trying to decide which one to get, I noticed that some of them had a U3 logo. I've never heard of U3 until then! I did some reading on the Internet and discovered that there is a whole new world of flash devices and programs designed for them out there! It's called U3.

What's U3?
In a nutshell, U3 is a new standard for flash drives and for designing programs that allows running software directly from a flash drive without installing anything on your computer. Basically you can carry all your programs, data, settings, and even your entire desktop environment with you on a key-chain! This standard is now embraced by all major flash drive manufacturers, including SanDisk, Memorex, Verbatim, etc.

motorola.jpg
sandisk.jpg
geeksquad.jpg
verbatim.jpg
disgo.jpg

Remember DOS times?
If you are as old as I am, you may remember good old DOS days, when it was possible to carry your favorite programs on a floppy disk and run programs directly from that disk. No installation programs to run, no DLLs to copy, no registry settings to mess with! Just insert the floppy disk and start the program from it. Well, guess what? Those times are coming back! At a new level: the "floppy disk" size is now measured in GB, not KB...

Two logical drives instead of one!
U3 concepts are pretty simple. First of all, when you connect a U3 token to the USB port of you computer, it is recognized not as one drive, but as two drives: as a traditional removable disk and also as a read-only CD drive that has special U3 Launchpad software on it. Why CD drive? Very simple: Windows has an auto-run feature for CD drives. This allows the Launcher program start immediately, and then, in turn, it can start other U3 programs that you may choose to install on your U3 flash drive.

Programs that run from the flash drive
Second, the programs must be specially designed (or packaged) for U3. Basically they should be able to run from a flash drive directly, save all data on the flash drive, without leaving anything on the host computer and without messing with its registry. The software license should also be bound to the drive, not to any particular computer. On the www.u3.com website you can find tons of free and commercial programs designed for U3, including FireFox browser, Mozilla Thunderbird, McAfee antivirus, to name a few. Checkout that website if you haven't yet and run a quick demo on their front page. Pretty cool!

New security concerns
Well, this is all great and exciting: I do like this new technology and all the convenience it brings. However, I do have one big security concern about this U3 technology (perhaps due to my lack of knowledge, really hope so). It seems to me that U3 makes it easier than ever to spread computer viruses! In the past, when someone connected a flash drive to my PC, it was relatively safe: unless I run any program from the drive, there was no risk to get any infection from that drive. Well, with U3 this is no longer the case: when a flash drive is attached, it now automatically launches some programs installed on it. How do I know that those programs are not infected? From now on, I will think twice before letting anyone stick a flash drive in my PC!

The drive I've been using is a 1GB Memorex. As most U3 drives it comes with bundled U3 software, including Migo (for personalizing computing environment), Thunderbird email client and McAfee Anti-Virus. Except for the above concern, I really like it!

If you've been using a U3 drive too, please share your thoughts and comments!

Is this U3 somehting that can be added (via software) to an exisitng USB thumb drive?

Can you boot from the thumb drive to the U3 environment?

Shawn95GT said:
Is this U3 somehting that can be added (via software) to an exisitng USB thumb drive?
No. It has to be supported in the hardware. (So, essentially it makes all other flash drives obsolete!)

Can you boot from the thumb drive to the U3 environment?
I don't think so. U3 is not really an environment. It still requires Windows on the host computer to run.

By the way, can you boot from any flash drive? Just curious.

You can get the MIGO software and use it on any USB flash drive, however the other functions that the U3 has are not available.

Scott Greczkowski said:
You can get the MIGO software and use it on any USB flash drive, however the other functions that the U3 has are not available.
That's correct. Most of the program that are available for U3 are also available as standard programs and some of them are capable of running from old non-U3 flash drives. However, to really work as a U3 application, the program must be specially designed (or packaged) to conform with the U3 standard. From the programming standpoint, U3 compatibility is easy to achieve. U3 has its own API (programming interface) that makes it easy to do things like figure out what letter was assigned to the removable drive, etc.

What are these new U3 flash drives going for? I guess I should use my old flash drive to store sensative and important content on for longer term.

Stargazer said:
What are these new U3 flash drives going for? I guess I should use my old flash drive to store sensative and important content on for longer term.
Pretty much the same price as without U3. For example, at BestBuy.com Geek Squad 1GB (with U3) is listed for $69.99.

As for storing secure information, the U3 drives are actually better. You can password protect the entire drive. And without the password it will not be visible at all! There are also various security programs available for U3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts