U304 available on H3

It seems like ever since we got this latest (U304) update, we are having a lot of problems with recordings - specifically "pixelating" and lock-ups..... and it seems many (if not most) recordings we watch are affected - I think - or at least that is my wife's opinion LOL. The only way to continue watching the program is to skip-ahead or fast-forward a bit to get by the particular spot. I've tried rewinding and playing again and it always seems to happen at the same spot so I'm guessing that the problem must be "recorded"? I'm not sure about "live" programming as we almost never watch anything that hasn't been first recorded (hate having to sit thru commercials). Signal strength tests good (all sats are in the 60's). Any thoughts?

Reactions: evilsofa
To be honest the H3 has a lot of issues with regards to playback of video and other things. We hardly ever watch live either.

I mean I recorded the finale of the Teen Wolf season for the wife this week, set it to transfer to the EHD, and it is GONE completely. Bout time for Dish to get another update out, a DVR with recording bugs is not very useful...

What is the hold up for U305? Seems like bugs should have been squashed weeks ago. Anyone have an idea on when to expect it (other than soon :))?
I've been wondering that too ......... from what I've read, there seems to be a lot to fix - probably enough for more than 1 update by now. I guess the software engineers have their hands full.

I have found the opposite to be true, my H3 locks on to OTA better than the HWS did. Particularly on VHF high band. WVTM on 13 (RF and virtual) locks fine on the H3, with the HWS, it would "jump" and was practically unwatchable.

Maybe it depends on the channel(s). And ofcourse the HWS is newer than the H2K so not sure how it compares in terms of OTA.

I've been wondering that too ......... from what I've read, there seems to be a lot to fix - probably enough for more than 1 update by now. I guess the software engineers have their hands full.

As already stated, sometimes fixes aren't "easy" and require extensive testing. Sucks for those of us who need the fix now.

If any of these "bugs" were considered severe by Dish, they would in fact fix things very quickly. We've seen 2+ updates sent out within 2-4 days in the past. When that happens, even if no normal user encountered it (yet), they will react fast. Someone decided the Hopper 3 would be out by the end of January come hell or high water and they did it. Many bugs that people are seeing may have been fixed weeks ago but are just waiting....

A few having problems. You'd think that from some posts here that the Hopper 3 is buggy. That has not been my experience. My Hopper 3 Joey 2 and 4k Joey have been putting along just fine for over a month, no resets required. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the experience of most customers.The only actual bug has been when playing an EHD recording before the EHD is ready, I get the picture stuck in the corner. Back out and restart the playback and everything's OK. (A 75% full 2TB drive.) I had to disconnect an EHD and reconnect it once when the Hopper 3 didn't see it, but that happened with original Hoppers, too.

Reactions: bobvick
A few having problems. You'd think that from some posts here that the Hopper 3 is buggy. That has not been my experience. My Hopper 3 Joey 2 and 4k Joey have been putting along just fine for over a month, no resets required. I wouldn't be surprised if that is the experience of most customers.The only actual bug has been when playing an EHD recording before the EHD is ready, I get the picture stuck in the corner. Back out and restart the playback and everything's OK. (A 75% full 2TB drive.) I had to disconnect an EHD and reconnect it once when the Hopper 3 didn't see it, but that happened with original Hoppers, too.
LOL. I havent had to reset mine either, doesn't mean it doesnt have a lot of quirks.

It is unusable? Of course not. Does it have somethings that shouldn't have made it thru? Of course it does. I agree with Hall, and it was the same issue Directv has had. Some ass in marketing decides it has to go live knowing the majority of users won't notice or won't care. Here is where I know this was a Directv level screwup, because when my wife starts complaining about certain things, they are obvious. And it isn't what Id expect from Dish. I think they rushed it. Hell I did not even get a response from Dirt when I sent it my OTA issues. Once again, you sell a product, you need to ensure your SW properly supports it. This reminds me of the HR44 where it did so many things well, but yet they really crapped the bed on a couple. And then let's not even get into usuability changes with the smaller remote, etc... (trickplay) that has been affected for the worse. Granted it is not a bug, but a mistake in direction of a product.

Reactions: TheLip and xfoneguy
Everybody who is having problems with OTA should contact DIRT and tell them about it, if you haven't already. The only way they'll fix it is if they think there's a lot of people who are having the problem.

Everybody who is having problems with OTA should contact DIRT and tell them about it...
I'm afraid that OTA-related issues automatically go to the bottom of the to-do list with Dish though. Yes, the H3 supports the OTA dongle, but that may simply be a carryover of code from the previous Hopper s/w. On the Hopper 2, they did actually make an "update" - they (thankfully !) removed the button for manually adding channels. You know, the one that says "not available" for 4+ years ! :D Also, on the Hopper 2, you can't save changes to the OTA channel list. If you had OTA channels saved already, you're sorta fine - just can't add or remove any afterwards. I'm curious what happens with someone who gets a new or replacement Hopper 2 and wants to use the OTA dongle.

Maybe we should all just join the DISH H3 Software Beta testing team... LOL... As for the OTA dongle, are there different revisions of it or does it also have firmware like the Sling Adapter. I remember one of the software updates killed a bunch of Sling adapters requiring replacements from DISH. My OTA dongle is made in India and was from November 2012 so it may have something to do with it. Maybe some of the Hopper 3's might be defective for all we know. The other day before I shipped the Hopper 2000 back, I actually opened it and I was actually amazed they chose to use quality Japanese capacitors which are all Nichicon, Chemi-con and all this time because my H2K was hidden, I didn't even notice it had a fan on the left side, does the H3 have a fan?

The chassis design appears to be very similar. It most likely does. Reboot it and get right up next to it to see if you can hear it spin. If it's like the fan in the Hopper 2, it's very high quality (quiet!) as I can't say I've ever heard it. On the 622-722k, some complained that it would wake them up when it rebooted in the middle of the night or others wouldn't put the receiver in their bedroom because it was too loud.

Sent from my HTC6535LVW using Tapatalk

Just checked the H3 and sure enough, there is a fan on the left side. I usually can't hear the fans because I have a tower computer in the same room that has 12 x 80mm high CFM fans running so it will mask other white noise.

I think I got it. I simply reboot the Hopper once a day. Seems more stable using
1. OTA
2. The external Hard Drive
3. Live Video Streaming via PLayon, Recording Video using TVmobili and Plex
-
I know many do not use the above, some never . . . some only one of the above, but it sure does help.
Is it true the old Hoppers used to reboot every night at 1am? Maybe that was the fix even back then, we just never noticed.
Ideas or suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)