U518@1:21 AM.

How long did you wait before checking on it? On both my Wally and Hopper Duo, I have seen them briefly go back to the regular screen-saver in the middle of a download, before resuming the download. So, it is important to actually watch the download progress, and make sure that the progress bar goes all the way across. In other words, it is possible that you interrupted it in the middle of the download. Additionally, on a Hopper, even when it looks like the download is done, it is important to leave it in standby for at least another half-hour or so, to make sure that it also downloads the Joey software, etc.

Thank you - I know that is all true, but though I normally like to hang around and watch the updates, I wasn't able to do so this time. I put the remote out of reach so it wouldn't be disturbed. (I've accidently torpedoed updates in the past because I wanted to hold on to the darn remote!)

But in this case, it sounds like a mute point now as the update apparently was pulled as I originally suspected. Sometimes not being first in line for these things is not necessarily a bad thing :)

Reactions: charlesrshell
I have a HWS, but the same thing happened to me.

When I went into the 'Tools' setup and selected to download the new software, the receiver downloaded software, and the progress bar went slowly all the way up to 100%. Then the receiver booted up. Although it went through all of the motions as if it had downloaded and installed new firmware, when I checked, I still had U249 and not the new U700. This same thing has happened to me many times before.

I am pretty sure that you cannot download new firmware unless your receiver is on Dish's list of receivers that are eligible to receive the new firmware. This is so that Dish can control the number of receivers that get new software and see if there are problems before releasing it to everybody. Just because some people have the new firmware does not mean that you can download it to your receiver. Forcing the download will only work IF your receiver is 'on the list' of receivers that are authorized to get the new software

I believe that you are right - I've heard (and read) that Dish keeps track of the receivers that it updates.

I'm not sure how my experience fits in with the "list" thing though, as the receiver originally tried doing the update without any intervention from me (and subsequently failed). After it failed, I tried forcing the update as it seemed like I was kind of left hanging. Obviously that didn't work either and now we've heard that Dish did in fact pull his particular update.

Reactions: charlesrshell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)