Status
Please reply by conversation.

Seanb61

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 4, 2004
Chicago
MOT Motorola acquires Ucentric Systems (17.03 )

Motorola today announced that the company has acquired privately-held Ucentric Systems, Inc., a Maynard, Massachusetts-based provider of media networking software for the connected home. (Briefing.com note: On Jan 6th at CES, Directv (DTV) announced that it selected Ucentric Systems for an upcoming Home Media Center.)

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/050118/nytu095_1.html

Someone in legal just pulled a hammy. I do serious doubt that a company like Modo would do anything for anyone under any type of exclusive deal. Either way that alienates a customer base of over 10M ... so I am sure they'll be the ring leader for both.

I don't really care who makes what as long as it is reliable, pretty and easy to use. There needs to be a high level of functionality, however, this will best be achieved with many companies competing rather than one dominating. TiVo seems to feel they have a lock on the market, but without D* they have nothing.

Things that will tick customers off are things like waiting two years for folders ... LOL, I just wish I could put 4.0 on my HR10-250, then I would have no need for a new setup until MPEG4 hits the street.

well, I am willing to bet DirecTV already had a contract with Ucentric, so MOTO can't pull out unilaterally. Also, Motorolla makes Voom's boxes and the boxes for Starchoice, as well as the 4dTV stuff, so don't fear that Motorola is beholden to cable interests.

It is very unlikely that DirecTV did not know anything about the deal between Ucentric and Motorola. Maybe that's just the reason that DirecTV felt comfortable going with a "small company".

Hong.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)