Ugly Dish Network picture

mfberry

Original poster
Jan 31, 2005

In 1995, I signed up for DirecTV service. I was immediately impressed by the incredible clarity of this new "digital-satellite-TV-phenomenon." It provided, via s-video to my 27" Sony Trinitron, the clearest, sharpest, and most detailed video image I had ever seen.

The only time the video image would let me down was:

a.) during scenes that involved fast action -- especially sequences that involved fire or firey explosions; during these sequences, the video image would be peppered with digital artifacts (I think the MPEG decoder had trouble keeping up with the dramatic difference in the content between each of these high-action frames).

-and-

b.) during heavy snow or rainstorms; under these scenarios, the video image would sometimes (pretty infrequently, really) rip and shred into a tattered patchwork quilt of jittering, multi-colored digital legos, all vibrating against each other (the audio, too, was an awful mess while this was happening).

In 2000, I discontinued my subscription to DirecTV, and went back to off-air terrestrial broadcasts, just to save a few bucks.

Well, three weeks ago I decided to go back to Satellite TV. I decided to go with Dish Network. I got a 522 and a 311 receiver. I ordered the DISH 120 package.

I love the dual-tuner DVR. I love the Sirius music stations. The program guide is excellent. So far, I have only two gripes:

Small gripe: it takes too long to change from one channel to another (Four Seconds !?!) I think I can learn to live with this issue, but gripe number 2, I'm not so sure.

LARGE GRIPE: What happened to all that sharp, detailed video goodness I remember having through DirecTV? The majority of the Dish Network stations have the approximate quality of a Video CD! Nearly ANY scene change produces subtle, blurry pixelization all over the screen. And the issue doesn't SEEM to be hardware-related; the picture quality looks the same on the 522 and the 311; the 522 is hooked up via s-video to a 27" Trinitron, the 311 is also hooked up via s-video to a (separate) 27" Trinitron.

My uneducated guess as to the source of the problem: the Dish Network satellites provide, of course, a finite amount of bandwidth. At one time in the past, the Dish Network video signal would probably have looked just as good to my eye as the DirecTV signal ever did. But, in order to stay competitive with Cable TV and with DirecTV, Dish Network had to add more channels to their lineup, further divying up the bandwidth pie, and thusly allocating less and less bits per channel. And less bits per channel equals less video and audio quality per channel.

And finally, my questions: Is it my equipment, or is it just me? And if it is the equipment, if I'll just have to "love it or leave it," then can anyone tell me: what are the comparative video-quality difference between Dish Network, DirecTV and digital cable?

Thank you,

mfberry

I've noticed the same thing with fire, explosions, smoke and shadows with Dish Network. Drives me nuts. So much in fact I stopped using the svid and went back with the rca jacks.

Yup!

WAY too much compression - plus, the hardware doesn't help. Though I don't really think the HW has anything to do with the poor picture quality. The HW problems are all around reliability. People think I'm crazy when I tell them that now that I've switched back to Cable from Dish, my PQ has improved (and my cost has gone down). A lot of improvements have happened with cable over the past several years. Dish has gone downhill.

Mfberry,

What really scares me is the fact that you are noticing such bad picture on small screens and very sharp TVs (I think Sony is the best). On a 60 inches TV it is MUCH worse!

Sergio

Call me lucky, I have 2 301's, a 508 and a 811. My Pq is very good. Better than any of my neighbors who have Direct or Adelphia.
Most of my channels are DVD quality--obviously those that start with poor source material are bad- All those education channels for example. SCI-Fi, Food Channel, even my locals are very good in comparison, although not quite as good as OTA..
Could this be a regional thing?
I will admit that sometimes viewing through the S-Vid is not as good as component on the HD Tv but on the smallerr direct view analog TV's the PQ is way better than cable was.

Right now I have a regular, 5 year old, 27" Philips Magnavox set. No flat screen, plasma, lcd stuff. I'm looking to replace it with something not expensive but digital. I swear I stopped keeping up with all this stuff about 3 years ago and boom, all these different things popped up. I swear it's like trying to figure out what kind of dang car is good to buy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)