E* 1920x1080i with Telecine Flag 9.30 Mbps
D* 1280x1080i with Telecine Flag 9.61 Mbps

HDTVFanAtic said:
An interesting note here for people who want to know these things:

Jaws 2 on UHD Sunday Evening at 9pm Eastern:

ACTUAL VIDEO BITRATES - NOT TSREADER TRANSPORT STREAM BITRATES:

Would be nice of you to provide both measures, then make BOLD statement.

Having watched BSG on UHD for months from D* and recorded BSG on E* and watched and compared with D* and later watched Jaws on E* also and compared with D* last night... E*'s PQ was Sharper, More Defined and the Colors were more vivid than the Soft, muted D* version... my .02 cents...

dfergie said:
Having watched BSG on UHD for months from D* and recorded BSG on E* and watched and compared with D* and later watched Jaws on E* also and compared with D* last night... E*'s PQ was Sharper, More Defined and the Colors were more vivid than the Soft, muted D* version... my .02 cents...

I agree.

HDTVFanAtic said:
An interesting note here for people who want to know these things:

Taking the numbers aside and it is surprising that they are so close on bitrates what is your opinion about how they both looked on your screen. I saw quite a difference in colors -- having E* with more vivid colors than the soft colors of D*.

Which brings me to the conclusion that I will have to get one of the Mpeg4 receivers from E*... dangit... and probably the 622 which I will buy, not lease...Edit and add... the hockey on right now is much sharper on E* than D* and I see no blocking as is stated in the D* thread...

Last edited:
I guess in this case it is more a matter of how the signal gets from Universal HD hq to the respective satellite companies and then out to the sats. What is better, a lower resolution at higher bitrate or a higher resolution at lower bitrate? I would say that generally I would almost always prefer a higher bitrate.

First, I learned a long time ago that its impossible to make qualified judgements on the things mentioned above based on STB output as it varies so much from STB to STB, even with the same service, whether it be D* or E*. Then take in the differences of DVI vs YPbPr etc and you do not know where the differences you are seeing come from. Comparing different STBs from different services - forget about it - too many variables in the mix.

I have both of these from the elementals and when I have some time intend to sit down and watch them both from the transport stream and really compare the differences with the stb connector and muxers out of the circuit - thus I won't enter the fray of how it looked until then.

I would say that the rate E* is giving it would work well ok with MPEG4, but not MPEG2.

I am working with the head of the NOC at the local cable company to find out the real bitrate UHD is delivering off the bird which will be very telling - as UHD has never looked good from any source.

Again:

Directv on Top - Dish on Bottom

I tried to find some colorful scenes based on the above comments

From Transport Stream - Bypassing STB muxer and output circuits
This should be the best comparison of the 2 services with the least variables.
Directv resized to proper 16:9 resolution
Full 1920x1080i jpegs in thumbnails below

Directv .png 960x540

Dish .png 960x540

Directv .png 960x540

Dish .png 960x540

Directv .png 960x540

Dish .png 960x540

Directv .jpg 1920x1080i

Dish .jpg 1920x1080i

Directv .jpg 1920x1080i

Dish .jpg 1920x1080i

Directv .jpg 1920x1080i

Dish .jpg 1920x1080i

Last edited:
UHD is a joke :mad: or would that be Dish ?? actually both

please tell what the UHD first gen c-band bitrates our when you find that out?? my guess would be 14 Mbps or less and prolly no telecine flag for film material??

-Gary

HDTVFanAtic said:
First, I learned a long time ago that its impossible to make qualified judgements on the things mentioned above based on STB output as it varies so much from STB to STB, even with the same service, whether it be D* or E*. Then take in the differences of DVI vs YPbPr etc and you do not know where the differences you are seeing come from. Comparing different STBs from different services - forget about it - too many variables in the mix.

I have both of these from the elementals and when I have some time intend to sit down and watch them both from the transport stream and really compare the differences with the stb connector and muxers out of the circuit - thus I won't enter the fray of how it looked until then.

I would say that the rate E* is giving it would work well ok with MPEG4, but not MPEG2.

I am working with the head of the NOC at the local cable company to find out the real bitrate UHD is delivering off the bird which will be very telling - as UHD has never looked good from any source.

This is quite a revelation which answers my question on the other thread. When you find the original bitrate of UHD, let us know.

Gary Murrell said:
UHD is a joke :mad: or would that be Dish ?? actually both

please tell what the UHD first gen c-band bitrates our when you find that out?? my guess would be 14 Mbps or less and prolly no telecine flag for film material??

-Gary

I hope to know that later on today Gary - but it is no way they have 14 Mbps. HBO doesn't even have that on C Band.

UHD does have the telecine flag on 24/7/365 just for your fyi.

Like Fox, they also keep the 5.1 audio flag on 24/7/365 - this changed about 4 months ago as they dropped frames switching between Season 1 of BSG 5.1 and 2.0 commercials.

However, the only movie that has REALLY had 5.1 audio that I am aware of is Dragonheart.

Sean Mota said:
When you find the original bitrate of UHD, let us know.

The local Network Operations Center ran a monitor on Universal HD for me - off their MUX INPUT DIRECTLY OFF THEIR SATELLITE RECEIVER.

From 11:00AM Eastern 2/14 until 11:00AM Eastern 2/15 the average bitrate has been 11.9067Mbps.

The highest peak they hit was 15.4220 Mbps.

You can take the 384Kbps Audio out of that as well as some slight overhead.

As they see the same problems that have been mentioned here that we all know about off their direct feeds - plus this rate isn't that far off HBO, you must wonder if UHD's encoders are old first generation encoders that were moved out from NBC and not up to the job or today's standards?

I do not. I did not know they were going to monitor for 24 hours when I requested them to do so.

I do think that the bitrates this week *MIGHT* be a tad higher over a 24 hour period - because of all the "live" coverage of the Olympics versus old Equalizer and Knight Rider episodes.

However, the movies and BSG have been about the same rate on all sources I have seen for the past 6 months - including Jaws 2.

There is a person on avs that has a modified R5000HD on his cable system and he thinks that UHD is excellent.

I will probably get him to cap a movie at the same time I do on Dish and Directv and see what rate he gets.

That should be the telling tale.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts