UHF antenna

JKElect

Pub Member / Supporter
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Louisiana
I need help choosing the best UHF antenna. My house is located on the slope of a hill. The crest of the hill is almost level with the peak of my roof. In the back yard is a large Oak tree and a 2 story apartment complex behind the tree. The rear of my house faces NNE and the front and sides are virtually unobstructed other than the houses on each side. I am attaching Antennaweb info. Thanks in advance for all assistance.

Last edited:
This suggestion assumes you want digital reception. Analog reception will be different.

If you want to receive 31.1 which appears to be broadcasting at 2.6Kw right now you need to go for at least a Channel Master 4228. The only problem to adding an amplifier to it would be the close proximity of KALB (3.9 mi). Adding most amplifiers would probably overload your tuner with KALB.

Winegard makes an urban amplifier I believe it is the model 269 that is much better at handling overloads and is not quite as strong as other Winegard and CM amps.

Point the 4228 at 327 degrees and you should get all three of your digitals.

If you want analog channels too, you need either a combo VHF/UHF antenna (which is a compromise) or seperate VHF and UHF antennas and probably a rotator.

If you need more advise, please provide us with your zipcode.

Zip code

My zipcode is 71360 Pineville, LA. I thought about it after I sent. My goal is to get the three digitals and analog Fox 47. I hear rumors the Fox affiliate is going digital soon but I do not know what channel or location of transmitter. I have not been able to find any good info on it. The Fox station in my area is basically sent through a repeater from Natchez Mississippi. Natchez broadcasts on ch 48.

E-mail the Fox station and ask. Explain what you're trying to do and the station's engineer will most likely respond with the pertintent information you need to choose the best antenna. They can also tell you when they plan to make the transition.....

Thanks for the info

Jim5506 and bhelms - Thanks for the info. I did email the Fox engineer and he let me know that they moved the main transmitter site 47 miles from my house. They also just finished the digital transmitter at the same site and are broadcasting 1000 watts. So after looking everything over, I have stations at 57 deg 47 mi, 327 deg 19 mi and 248 deg 3.9 mi. I am pretty sure that this means a 4228 and a rotor. I am not sure if I will need a preamp or not.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts