UHF HD vs VHF HD channels

woljr

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 17, 2005
Is it true that some of the UHF assigned stations will switch back to VHF Frequecies after Feb. 18, 2009 for OTA viewing ??? :confused:

It"s kind of a crap shoot. It all depends on what frequency the FCC has assigned the station for it's digital broadcasting. Forinstance WXIA channel 11 here in Atlanta has been assigned channel 10 for it's digital, but it could just have easily been WUPA channel 69 that got the channel 10 assignment.

Is it true that some of the UHF assigned stations will switch back to VHF Frequecies after Feb. 18, 2009 for OTA viewing ??? :confused:
Yep, that's true. And not just the ones mentioned in this article.

...Dave Converse, engineering VP for the ABC station group, expects the switch to be fairly smooth because ABC owns the facilities and therefore controls all the pieces of the puzzle. Nine of ABC's 10 stations have elected to return to their old NTSC assignments in the VHF band (2-13 for DTV) and the network's Fresno, Calif., station will move from a DTV assignment on VHF channel 9 to its old analog assignment, channel 30, in that UHF-dominated market...

Full article: http://www.twice.com/article/CA6405037.html

Here is the site for the 3rd round information. It pretty much sums up round 2 with a few exceptions:
http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/DA-06-1675A1.pdf

I still see open questions for the New York City area.

I also have a question of my own. The big 4 and more stations in NYC are on channels 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13. When in NYC the stations seem to bleed into adjoining channels. In other words, channels 3, 8, 12, etc do not get snow but instead get distortion from the next channel over.

I also notice some channels putting their digital channel in the next slot over. Does this mean digital channels will not interfere with each other when they are on the very next channel? Meaning channel 20 will not interfere with 19 or 21?

I also have heard there are problems with low VHF channels. 2 through 6.
With digital, can 2, 4 and 5 actually slip into 8, 10 and 12 to make everyone happy?

Just wondering.. :rolleyes:

Yes, the low end of the VHF has problems. Yes, digital stations are expected to interfere less. No one knows for sure until the switchover is complete. Part may be lower power levels authorized/used in certain areas.

Yes, the low end of the VHF has problems. Yes, digital stations are expected to interfere less. No one knows for sure until the switchover is complete. Part may be lower power levels authorized/used in certain areas.

Something like this is what worries me. I am 90 miles line of sight from the NYC broadcast stations now. Nobody around here (Liberty, Catskill Mountains in NY) has ever had any luck with NYC on UHF. Some are lucky enough (but not me) to get a good view to the west and get the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre stations good on UHF. That is not an option for me at my exact location. Lots of mountains but a fair view to the south east towards NYC.

Boosting the power directionally. There is something I might be able to work with.

Not without some coordination. There might be some signal conflict with the Philly stations.

Again.. my directional thoughts come to mind but this would hurt the viewers between NYC and Philly. Namely central NJ so this may not be an option.

Doesn't the new law provide for a clause that the signals must be able to serve at least the OTA coverage area that they did before? UHF signals of 5 to 10 million watts ERP should help. There is lots of space on UHF so maybe if you are in, for example NYC you will be able to receive Philly, Baltimore, Albany and Conneticut and more. Or am I just dreaming?

Really there is good and bad for me here and I am sure I am not alone. In my old pre-cable days, I had that big ol Channel Master Quantum high up on the roof. It worked great for everything VHF from NYC and even channel 3 from Hartford but that was iffy. Sometimes I got 6 from Schenectady or Philadelphia or even Providence. Not often. Once channel 8 from New Haven.

Long ago I got rid of that VHF antenna and I don't want to invest in another until I know what will happen all the way down the road to digital. I want everything I can get in digital and in HD from wherever I can get them and OTA is no problem as long as I can get them somehow.

Forget about telling me about http://www.antennaweb.org. That thing tells me for what I want I need a tower almost 2000 feet high.

I guess I will just have to sit back, wait and be content with whatever Dish Network serves me via satellite.

I thought the whole point was to free up the vhf band?

Correct, but only the lower VHF band (Channels 2-6). Existing VHF stations 7-13 generally had the option to remain with their original freq. One significant advantage to staying with VHF (from the broadcaster's perspective) is lower electric bills!

It was my understanding that once the switchover occurs in Feb 2009 that the old VHF frequencies have to be turned over to the FCC for other uses.

It was my understanding that once the switchover occurs in Feb 2009 that the old VHF frequencies have to be turned over to the FCC for other uses.

No, it is as HDTVFanatic said.

We are the only country in the world that will continue to allow use of the VHF band for TV. And yes, the lower band will continue to be used, some stations will move there. Bad idea, but they will. The proposals to eliminate all VHF or at least the lower tier were defeated. A quick look at the second round results will confirm this.

Getting reception over 60 miles is generally dicey. Some folks can do it. 90?

IIRC, the identical coverage area requirement was relaxed slightly due to transmitter antenna placement concerns.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts