UHF Remote distance question.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
I am connecting up my 722 in dual mode now and have the TV2 in a distant bedroom. About 55 ft. from the receiver and through several walls.

Well, no surprise it didn't work so I decided to try using an old idea I heard others talk about by using a combiner / splitter and piggybacking the UHF controller signal onto the RF video cable and then splitting it out at the Cable jack on the wall using the little whip antenna in the room. Now I didn't even get a TV2 picture!

So my next step involved a bit more work. I ran about 70 ft of RG 6 from the 722's UHF remote jack through the attic crawl space and mounted the little whip on the end of this cable located over the room but now signal goes through the ceiling and this represents through one wall and about 10 ft. maximum. I got some success with this but the remote is quite sensitive to location of the interpretation of the remote commands is strange. eg. I push guide and I get info. I push channel up and I get menu. If I hold the remote in certain locations in the room the controls work right. Is this normal for the UHF control? Do I really need the antenna located in the same room for trouble free operation?

Backfeeding uhf signal with tv2......

What was the splitter you used rated at (mhz)? That could have been why that didn't work. I know this works for sure. also did you use a splitter with multiple frequencies? Use splitter rated at 5-2150 at least. tv2 gos into one input then uhf remote sighal goes into other input then the output from that splitter go's to uhf/tv port on diplxer, then in tv2 room you would split again you would hook remote antenna to one port tv to port right next to that then. The single port on splitter go's to wall.

I am connecting up my 722 in dual mode now and have the TV2 in a distant bedroom. About 55 ft. from the receiver and through several walls.

Well, no surprise it didn't work so I decided to try using an old idea I heard others talk about by using a combiner / splitter and piggybacking the UHF controller signal onto the RF video cable and then splitting it out at the Cable jack on the wall using the little whip antenna in the room. Now I didn't even get a TV2 picture!

So my next step involved a bit more work. I ran about 70 ft of RG 6 from the 722's UHF remote jack through the attic crawl space and mounted the little whip on the end of this cable located over the room but now signal goes through the ceiling and this represents through one wall and about 10 ft. maximum. I got some success with this but the remote is quite sensitive to location of the interpretation of the remote commands is strange. eg. I push guide and I get info. I push channel up and I get menu. If I hold the remote in certain locations in the room the controls work right. Is this normal for the UHF control? Do I really need the antenna located in the same room for trouble free operation?

The distance should not be far enough to have to use a seperate coax run for the uhf antenna unless its in a basement or something like that with a bunch of metal. Have you tried changing the remote address on the remote and also try a diffrent band on the remote remove the battery cover and you will see the switch. Sometimes you will get interference from other peoples recievers or just stuff in your house. Also another thing check to make sure the batteries are fresh. If this is new you could just have a bad remote also.

Thanks. I did look at the specs on the splitter / combiner and it is, indeed not going to work as it is a VHF / UHF splitter and the signal out on Dish TV2 is UHF. I assume the UHF remote is also UHF. :) If I connect the TV2 to the UHF jack it works. I didn't bother to test the UHF remote by itself on the combiner.

The batteries are new. I will try the other band in the battery case to see if that works before moving the antenna to inside the room. There is lots of metal AC duct in the attic near the antenna so this may be shielding or causing weak reception spots in the room.

Thanks. I did look at the specs on the splitter / combiner and it is, indeed not going to work as it is a VHF / UHF splitter and the signal out on Dish TV2 is UHF. I assume the UHF remote is also UHF. :) If I connect the TV2 to the UHF jack it works. I didn't bother to test the UHF remote by itself on the combiner.

The batteries are new. I will try the other band in the battery case to see if that works before moving the antenna to inside the room. There is lots of metal AC duct in the attic near the antenna so this may be shielding or causing weak reception spots in the room.

Don, there is a mis-communication in terms here... or something.... maybe one of the splitters is bad? One of the F connectors has a center conductor that is just a touch short? ???

If your are using regular old splitters here like you can buy at radio shack for a couple of bucks to split a tv signal to 2 tv's, piggy backing the uhf remote and dish's TV-2 signal has to work. At any rate it would not interfere with the reception of TV-2. If I recall correct the remote is 400 something Mhz which is of course in the UHF range.

RemoExtend5.jpg

Hey I use my Remote 2 for my 722 in the basement, in other bedrooms and even in the garage, and have little trouble changing channels etc. I do notice that it does use batteries faster than my other remotes. You might have a bad remote.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)