UHF remote for Fortec Mercury II?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

satcustomer

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2006
California
Is a UHF remote available for this product? I just ordered a wireless video sender from x10.com that allows me to send the video from my upstairs t.v. (the one that has the Mercury II hooked up) to the downstairs t.v. (no satellite receiver). I'd like to be able to change channels on the receiver while downstairs instead of running upstairs to scan the birds.

There is no RF remote manufactured for the Mercury II.

Check out the Next Generation RF Extender, which is a RF remote signal transmitter built into a dummy 1/2 cell battery and inserted into your IR remote. A receiver can be located at the location of your receiver and the channel can usually be changed from anywhere in the house!

Last edited:
An RF Extender wont help here since the Fortec does not support UHF. He would need a Remote Pyramid type of setup to work.

I actually met with the guys from Fortec about this and they are looking at making UHF remotes as an ugrade module for those who want them. They feel (and are probably correct) that most people would not need a UHF remote and thus no reason to raise the cost of the box for a feature many will not use.

satcustomer said:
Is a UHF remote available for this product? I just ordered a wireless video sender from x10.com that allows me to send the video from my upstairs t.v. (the one that has the Mercury II hooked up) to the downstairs t.v. (no satellite receiver). I'd like to be able to change channels on the receiver while downstairs instead of running upstairs to scan the birds.
As long as you were buying their video extender, why didn't you get their PowerMid IR extender too?

Didn't know/see that x10.com had an IR extender! Turns out, after calling their C/S, that the range on the IR extender is also 100 feet like their wireless video sender. Thanks for the help!

Coincedentally, I am selling a One For All URC-9910(IR/RF) along with a URC-8910 (IR-only), and a JP1 programming cable for the total price of $40 plus shipping.

It is a great package to have. You use the 8910 in the room with the equipment, configured to operate your entire home theater. And, the 9910 in another room, like the bedroom, where it controls all of your BR equippment, plus your FTA tuner from the other room (and any other sources you have feeding the bedroom).

Because the 8910 and 9910 are physically identical, there is no learning curve between rooms. The same remote operating the same way in both rooms! The wife will love it!

For those of you who are unfamiliar with JP1, it's time to learn!

GaryPen,
Why do you need JP1, when they do it just with a phone call.
If you like playing with electronics, I agree :)

Zero said:
GaryPen,
Why do you need JP1, when they do it just with a phone call.
If you like playing with electronics, I agree :)
I doubt they can do it ALL with a phone call.
Do they have the codes for a Fortec Mercury II, for instance? Probably not. I know they don't for a lot of the low-end Chinese/Korean stuff.
Do they have special secret codes to make DVD players/recorders region-free? Definitely not.
And, can they assign any function to any button? Nope. (You can perfrom limited key moves on the remote itself, but it is time-consuming and limited.)

Trust me, JP1 is the easiest way to control all your devices with a single INEXPENSIVE remote.

GaryPen said:
I doubt they can do it ALL with a phone call.
Do they have the codes for a Fortec Mercury II, for instance? Probably not. I know they don't for a lot of the low-end Chinese/Korean stuff.
Do they have special secret codes to make DVD players/recorders region-free? Definitely not.
And, can they assign any function to any button? Nope. (You can perfrom limited key moves on the remote itself, but it is time-consuming and limited.)

Trust me, JP1 is the easiest way to control all your devices with a single INEXPENSIVE remote.

I agree. For a person who is little techie JP1 is better than phone calls. You will have a feeling of acheivement too:)

Scott Greczkowski said:
An RF Extender wont help here since the Fortec does not support UHF. He would need a Remote Pyramid type of setup to work.

I actually met with the guys from Fortec about this and they are looking at making UHF remotes as an ugrade module for those who want them. They feel (and are probably correct) that most people would not need a UHF remote and thus no reason to raise the cost of the box for a feature many will not use.

Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier. The product Satellite AV suggest will work with the Fortec. I own one and use it with my Coolsat. It's not an RF extender, which is where the confusion came in, but rather an IR converter. One of the batteries in the remote is replaced with an RF transmitter and a smaller battery which sends the RF signal to the base station which changes it back to an IR signal. The unit comes with rechargeable batteries for the transmitter unit, and they can be recharged in the base station.

Overall it works pretty well, although the base station does occasionally generate a spontaneous IR signal when I haven't pressed a key on the remote. It's usually just a nuissance rather than a large problem though.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)