uhh!! How do I get stereo from 4dtv

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

gweedow

Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
pennsylvania
Hi all.
Great forum. Newbie here.

I'm a little embarrassed to ask this question because I've owned my 4dtv receiver for almost when It first came out (920). Well, here gos. First of all I just bought a Onkyo 5.1 home theater system to go with my Samsung 50 inch plasma tv, and samsung blu-ray disk player. Before that I never worried about surround hookup to a tv. Fantastic sound man from Blu-ray player. Even the over the air broascasts I get from just two stations.
Here is the question. How the heck do I get the 4dtv receiver to put out the surround sound?? I hooked up the Audio out (RL) of the 4dtv to my Onkyo's Audio. I whent into the menu of the 4dtv and tryed all ways of the hifi and tv and stereo configuration. The only way the sound comes out of the 5 speakers is all of the sound on the tv comes out of each speaker. In other words, there is no separation of different typs of sound in the movie, of the side front speakers and back speakers. Like I get on my dvds. Like a surround sound effect. I tryed mostly HBO because I felt like it is the most likely to have dolby or some surround in the movie. Do I have to buy that HDD 200 box? My tv is HD integrated which means I won't need a digital converter for at least over the air. Sorry for the long post. What am I doing wrong? Thanks much, Jim

You got me wondering about that too, Jim. I too have a surround sound system I yet have to install. The 4DTV (920) has a L/R stereo outputs and with the age of these receivers maybe not designed for the surround sound systems available today.
I hope that can be done! Maybe if you contact the Onkyo manufacturer and let them know about the 4DTV receiver they can let you know if that can be done. Please let us know what you find out!
Good luck!

I have my 922 hooked up two ways to my Yamaha HTR. L & R analog audio and coaxial digital. My 922 puts out PCM and DD from the coaxial and Dolby surround to the analog out. If something is in 5.1 DD it will decode it on the coaxial output to the HTR.

tvropro

I have my 922 hooked up two ways to my Yamaha HTR. L & R analog audio and coaxial digital. My 922 puts out PCM and DD from the coaxial and Dolby surround to the analog out. If something is in 5.1 DD it will decode it on the coaxial output to the HTR.

Tvropro,, Dose your 922 have extra outputs?? My 920 only has the L&R red and white audio outs. Do you mean the 922 has a coaxial digital cable hookup?? The only other inputs I see on my 920 is (ppv, data, phone, computer, svideo). Or am I missing some thing here. What do you think? Thanks Jim

Tvropro,, Dose your 922 have extra outputs?? My 920 only has the L&R red and white audio outs. Do you mean the 922 has a coaxial digital cable hookup?? The only other inputs I see on my 920 is (ppv, data, phone, computer, svideo). Or am I missing some thing here. What do you think? Thanks Jim

I don't have the 920, but here is the back of the 922. If the 920 is missing the Digital output you can only get Dolby Surround Pro Logic & PL II.

Attachments

• 922back.jpg
    922back.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 160
Hmmmm!!!!!!!!

O.k. Thank you for the quick feed back. My 920 is old anyway. Also have to think about the battery init. I guess I'll have to check around for a good deal on a 922. Not just yet though. Spent a lot of bucks on my new system. You know what I mean. I'll try yet and see what other avenues I may have to get true Dolby. Thanks again, Jim

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts