UK channels in the US?

micktravis

Original poster
Nov 29, 2005
Is it possible to receive UK channels in the US? I'm talking about BBCx, Channel 4, ITVx, etc. My TV understands PAL, so that's not an issue, but is there a bird that's even visible on this side of the world?

There must be a way - I've been in master control at NBC in LA and they had live BBC and Channel 4 feeds up during the London bombings. Were these just set up during the crisis or are they always out there?

I belive those were there just because there was news in london. At this time there really isnt much upthere for channels from europe.. Im sure if im wrong someone will chime in and say where they are :)

I keep hearing rumors that DirecTV is thinking of adding Britain's Skynews and perhaps the BBC news. I think this would be great and hope it comes true. I'm not sure about entertainment shows. In many cases, the companies in the UK would not have the rights to air these shows in another county.

I'd rather see the comedies. I'd love to buy "The Monastery" - in NTSC, not PAL.

The problem is that many of the local PBS stations own Brit-Coms. One of the NYC PBS stations (WLYW?) owns the broadcast distribution rights to BBC World News. Discovery Networks owns the distribution right to cable and satellite BBC World News. So BBC programming in the US direct from Brittain is impossible right now. The BBC would have to wrest control of their distribution rights back from PBS and Discovery which would probably cost them lots of money in the short run with no guarantee they will be able to make it back again distributing their own stuff.

See ya
Tony

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)