Umm am i doing something wrong?

Status
Please reply by conversation.
coulden tyou just get a old dish net dish and change the Lnb and use it ?

Yes there are quite a few of us in here that have done it. The problem is except for 30W and 95W those pay tv dishes are too small to get a reliable signal for FTA. 95W especially puts out a good strong signal compared to all the other FTA Ku transmissions.

Pay Satellite providers put out a way stronger signal then FTA transmissions.
That's why they can make their dishes so small.

Those of us who have done it, did it to see if we could do it, mostly.

i was thinking of getting like 2 33 inch dishes now, to go around the bigger dish, would 33s work well ? i really dont want to put up big dishes, and a C band i really cant do, i could but i dont have much of a yard, everything would have to be on my roof, to keep it out of the way. and i got the go ahead to get two more and a switch from the wife all ready =D for around 125 bucks or so budget. i got the coax all ready, just need switch and dishes and ready to roll =P, i told my wife im going to put up a dish for every sat so people think were insane !! LOL

Reactions: fred555
OOOOO yeah !!! i wanted to chime in and yeah My sat box does do Dolby audio ! that box really hasnt been bad for a 30 dollar box !! =D

ooo i was wrong the dishes i was looking at are 18 inch think there even worth getting?
Probably not. Like I said if you get some free small dishes, they are fun to experiment with.

Keep an eye on Craigslist, I keep a bookmark of the search "satellite dish", and look at it often.

ooo i was wrong the dishes i was looking at are 18 inch think there even worth getting?

Yes there are quite a few of us in here that have done it. The problem is except for 30W and 95W those pay tv dishes are too small to get a reliable signal for FTA. 95W especially puts out a good strong signal

Slow down grasshopper. not worth the effort at this point in your FTA experience.

Reactions: Titanium
i just thought the homemade dish would be funny to try, to be honest ... as much as i was hating running up n down the ladder to work on my dish ... now i miss it ! LOL like the excitement is gone of "whats out there, what will i find?" type of thing , whats the smallest dish you think is worth buying for a fta system? i would like to get at least 2 more but there going to have to be a half decent price range and smaller than my 39 inch. my neighbor has a dish network dish on his house he dont use i was temped to offer him 20 bucks LOL

for now im going to work on my OTA antenna, but not much to be done besides put it up higher =/

I wouldn't go any smaller than 39"s. If you want excitement go larger and see how much more you can get. ;)

The absolute minimum, for any kind of performance would be THIS 30 inch. But don't expect it to get everything. It WILL NOT get 125W or 99W. I don't know of any that are using less than a 90cm dish for 125Wt. And many here use a 1.2 meter.
My Channel Master 30 inch (.7meter) is too small for 99W, but the 1.0 meter (39 inch) works good. There's a few more satellites it wont see at all, or only the strongest transponders.
Well, when/if you get back to FTA make a temporary mount at ground level for the dish to 'cut your teeth' on programming the receiver and aiming the dish. It's a lot simpler and easier when you can adjust and watch the Q meter on the TV screen at the same time. Set up the whole system, receiver and television) on a card table beside the dish/mount.
Til then review LNB LO Frequency - 101 for an understanding of the receiver (Transponder& LNB) programming.
www.dishpointer.com for your 'aim point, elevation and skew.
Also study Switch setups simplified for that time you add dishes
Start another thread if help is needed.
BUT your first foray will be one receiver/one dish ONLY.

30w is the big fish cause its so hard to get. I have a another pic of close view I'll post. I have got lnbs from left to right 87w ku, 91w ku , 93, 95, 97w depending on which way I move the dish, c band 97, 99w 101, 103, ; 103w ku 107w or 111w c band, added 2 more one for 110w and 82 or 85w ku. Rabbit those are called conciliar scalers helps to get c band on a small dish. I am a proud mini budder.

Attachments

• IMG_20151219_210427235.jpg
    IMG_20151219_210427235.jpg
    262.5 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20150504_190123361.jpg
    IMG_20150504_190123361.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 151
Reactions: k.r.
o thats really cool! im now considering starting a new thread about ota ganging and stacking. i think this will be my next venture and im considering getting one more dish for now so i can move it to see what we get and like the most b4 i jump to getting a bunch of dishes.. so if anyone knows about ota please go to my new thread as well!!

Reactions: KE4EST and Titanium
hmmm so i could add a Cband to my 39 inch dish? i thought you had to have a huge dish to even consider Cband, but getting a multi mount and a cband Lnb i could do for sure, ... just something to think about maybe ??

"The absolute minimum, for any kind of performance would be THIS 30 inch. But don't expect it to get everything."

thats a decent dish for the price ! heck its about the same price as the smaller ones im looking at. If i can ever get stuff settles with my bank ( for they are stupid) i may have to grab one of those up !

hmmm so i could add a Cband to my 39 inch dish? i thought you had to have a huge dish to even consider Cband, but getting a multi mount and a cband Lnb i could do for sure, ... just something to think about maybe ??

Ask Danristheman, I think he uses a 48''.

It would be best for a 1 meter on up but get your start on ku first then work up to this. I have a commercial 4 footer I use for c band and ku. Just remember take baby steps so you don't get over your head. Take your time and enjoy working on it its relaxing working when you are in your own world. You will only get strong transponders and it can be very picky. If you have any questions just post we are here to help you out.

The specs on your dish show it as 39" x36". So, although it is advertised as 39 inch dish, it actually is a 36 inch dish. You could probably get a couple strong C band transponders.

Personally, I wouldn't bother.

Catamount

just thought ide toss this out there for everyone, i use a sight called WISH.com and baught some things on it for great prices. takes 30 days or so to get items but got great deals.

screenshot_1.png

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts