Unable to control output device for audio

wilkss

Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
I just purchased TimeTrax. I have multiple output controls set up for my p.c. I have SoundMax Digital Audio and Lyra Wireless which is connected via USB.
I have set up my p.c. so that the Lyra Wireless is the default sound playback device. I have also checked the checkbox in Control Panel to say Use Only Default Devices.
All applications with the expection of TimeTrax playback through the Lyra Wireless output. However, TimeTrax is outputting the sound to my p.c. speakers.
Is there any option to control this?
I could not find it in the documentation.

wilkss said:
I just purchased TimeTrax. I have multiple output controls set up for my p.c. I have SoundMax Digital Audio and Lyra Wireless which is connected via USB.
I have set up my p.c. so that the Lyra Wireless is the default sound playback device. I have also checked the checkbox in Control Panel to say Use Only Default Devices.
All applications with the expection of TimeTrax playback through the Lyra Wireless output. However, TimeTrax is outputting the sound to my p.c. speakers.
Is there any option to control this?
I could not find it in the documentation.

I have a feeling that this is a question for the Lyra and the Sound Card people but here is what I can think of:

1. Does this mean, from your statement that ALL sounds that are on your computer come out of the Lyra device? and NOTHING comes out of the locale Speakers?

2. The Lyra device seems to work with MusicMatch because Music Match can 'output' to that virtual USB device.

3. Does the Lyra device have its own mixer where you can select which inputs can be sent thru it? Or can you select it as a device in the Windows Mixer in advanced or properties of the Windows Mixer?

My suggestions would be that in the Control Panel, the Lyra device should be chosen as the default Sound Playback device (you might already have this set but I am not sure - you already have the check box checked for default devices.

I have a feeling this really all depends on how the SOUND CARD handles that 'Line in' input and I am not sure we can answer that to get you through.

I suggest seeing what opening a support ticket an do with Time Trax and hopefully someone from TT will comment here.

1. Yes. All sounds come out of the Lyra device.

2. Right. MusicMatch does have a feature to specify the output device. Also, all windows sounds come through the Lyra as well.

3. The Lyra device does not have its own mixer.

4. The Lyra is the default sound playback device.

I've also submitted a problem ticket to TimeTrax

wilkss said:
1. Yes. All sounds come out of the Lyra device.
2. Right. MusicMatch does have a feature to specify the output device. Also, all windows sounds come through the Lyra as well.
3. The Lyra device does not have its own mixer.
4. The Lyra is the default sound playback device.
I've also submitted a problem ticket to TimeTrax

What output is chosen in the Time Trax Recording section in the Configuration?

I wonder if there is just a simple conflict with the sound card and the way it handles the line in.

I presume, that its not just limited to Time Trax, but ANY device being placed into the Line IN jack - so there has got to be an answer...

What make soundcard and computer ?

I have SoundMax Digital Audio

I've never used the line in jack before so that I do not know if this is a problem with other devices.

I noticed in sound mixer for the Lyra that there is no option to control the sound levels for Line In. So this is probably the problem.

Do you have any suggestions on ways to stream the music coming in from the Sirius/TimeTrax wirelessly to a stereo?

Thanks.

wilkss said:
I have SoundMax Digital Audio
I've never used the line in jack before so that I do not know if this is a problem with other devices.
I noticed in sound mixer for the Lyra that there is no option to control the sound levels for Line In. So this is probably the problem.
Do you have any suggestions on ways to stream the music coming in from the Sirius/TimeTrax wirelessly to a stereo?
Thanks.

Ah, So the Lyra doesn't have the ability to 'see' the Line In, so I doubt it can mix the audio and send it... I would contact RCA (makers of the Lyra???) and see ifthere is newer software / drivers available. I wonder if this is something that others users have run into and have started to complain about.

I have been looking into this :
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/rocketfm/
However, I wanted something that did not RELY on USB for the SOUND as well, I rather just have a audio jack so that I can control out of the mixer what goes out from the computer.

I got my Sirius streaming through my house via my pc line in today via a USB FM transmitter.

I am picking up the line in feed via Windows Media Encoder and streaming this to Windows Media Player on my pc.

The audio from Windows Media Player can then be picked up via the USB fm transmitter and is broadcast within my house.

It works, but I wish there had been as easier out of the box solution.

CCrane has a sweet little FM transmitter for $60 that is doing a fine job. Actually better performance than I expected from the specs. Excellent stereo sound and range.

wilkss said:
I got my Sirius streaming through my house via my pc line in today via a USB FM transmitter.

I am picking up the line in feed via Windows Media Encoder and streaming this to Windows Media Player on my pc.

The audio from Windows Media Player can then be picked up via the USB fm transmitter and is broadcast within my house.

It works, but I wish there had been as easier out of the box solution.

I do not want to point out a problem here, but this seems like its more of an issue with the Lyra stuff as it doesn't grab the Line - In Audio. If it had, your existng solution would work.

However, on the other hand, I might have a solution for you but it woud take a little soldering and wire cutting :)

Convert the cable used to go from the Sat unit for audio to the CD Audio type connector. This would allow you to map the audio in from the Sat unit to something the Lyra might be able to mix. Using a set of splitters, you could still feed audio to the Line-In and the Line in would allow TT to record (cuz I am not sure if TT would recard from the CD line.

Just a thought - its late - :)