Unable to view live tv with web browser in Windows 7 using Sling adapter w/ VIP722K

spowell

Original poster
Apr 19, 2011
Kentucky
I've been using a Sling adapter successfully to view live tv via a web browser in WinXP. I recently upgraded to a Win7 system and it will not view live tv via the web browser. When I click on the "Watch Live TV" option, it opens the window and shows "Authenticating..." for about 10 seconds and then stops with a message in the viewing window talking about a potential network issue and Error Code (43). This same network works fine with my WinXP system, just not the Win7 system. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It just sounds like a setting issue to me. Error 43 is usually indicates a loss of connection due to network issues. However, in your case the XP system works on the same network. Leaves two options: One, firewall is shutting the connection down due to the type of connection required for streaming (blocking it basically) or you are using 64bit IE and there is a conflict..

I'm using the (x86) version of IE. My understanding is that this is the 32bit version. I've also attempted to disable the Norton's firewall and virus protection and that unfortunately didn't seem to change the behavior. I spoke with Dish Technical support last night and the representative I spoke with had me do a few things like reset the receiver, reset the router, reset the computer, but eventually ended up saying that they were going to have to turn this over to a different department who would have to look at things on their end. I feel like the problem is with a setting in Win7 as you've suggested, not with anything on Dish's end, but I'm just not sure what to change. They told me I just needed to keep trying it each day for a week or so while the tech department looked at the issue and then call back if it still doesn't work.

I don't mind doing that if that's what I need to do, but, if the problem is with a setting in Win7, I'm not sure their efforts will be productive. I'd be happy to try any suggestions that you have. I'm trying to retire my WinXP machine, but won't be able to until I can get this issue resolved with my Win7 system.

I can log in to my Dish Remote Access account successfully on the Win7 system and when I click the "Watch Live TV" option, I see the lights on my VIP722K come on indicating that my computer is communicating with the receiver, but then it just stops after the "Authenticating..." message with the Error code (43). I'd be happy to provide any additional information that you need. Just for additional information, I've tried this through both IE 9 (32-bit) and Firefox 4.

I have same problem....called support said they were un aware of any problems??? Im allways asked to upgrade the active X controls, just keeps repeating...The only way to get it to work is using firefox...I tryed ie 8 and 9....tryed 64 bit and 32 bit on both......no luck

I'm having a similar issue (IE8 on Windows 7). My XP boxes work fine, but I often get the error 43 (like 80% of the time) when I try to watch anything on the Windows 7 laptop. What I have done for a workaround is to use Firefox OR Chrome with the IE add-on. Both of those work flawlessly for me.

I've tried Firefox 4 and see the same behavior. Since I'm not sure what goes on during the "Authenticating..." phase between the Sling adapter/receiver and the computer, I'm not sure what settings in Win7 to change. I don't know if it's a plug-in issue or network settings issue. I saw a post in another thread about a new version of the Slingplayer plug-in that's available. I guess I'll try that tonight and see if it helps.

Find your WebSlingPlayer.txt file ... in windows vista/7 it should be under C:\Users\*your login name*\AppData\Roaming\Sling Media\WebSlingPlayer ... look up from the bottom of the file .. till you find the header line for the most recent stream attempt (usually a bunch of dashes, with date and time ... which could be in local or GMT time) and then starting there, look for the errors that start creating more errors.. and see if you can find any of the error codes (0xXXXXXX) on the following two urls ...

http://slingbox.wikia.com/wiki/Slingplayer_Error_Codes

http://support.slingbox.com/get/KB-005507.html

if they are there, it might give some additional understanding to the cause..

Note that the first error could be several hundreds of lines above the last line in that file.. often I find a good 30 second delay in message time stamps from one part of the file to the next when the errors start flowing freely. (the second column / set of numbers .. the one right after the date, is the time, again could be local or GMT)

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who offered help with this issue. I upgraded to the latest web sling player for IE that I saw in another post (v1.5.1.118) and everything seems to be working now. It still sometimes takes a couple of attempts to get it to actually transition from "Authenticating..." to "Receiving Stream Data...", but prior to this upgrade, it never did, so this seems like progress. I also plan on looking at the log file as TG2 suggested. If anyone else is having trouble using their Sling adapter with IE 9 in Windows 7, the sling player upgrade is worth a try.

I have the same problem just got the sling adapter yesterday almost 2 years after you and it still does not work with 64 bit windows 7 and IE 8 or9,I have upgraded to windows 7 pro and that allows me to run a virtual machine running XP,so I could run older favorite software. It's a pain in the butt bit it worked right away.

phamus said:
I have the same problem just got the sling adapter yesterday almost 2 years after you and it still does not work with 64 bit windows 7 and IE 8 or9,I have upgraded to windows 7 pro and that allows me to run a virtual machine running XP,so I could run older favorite software. It's a pain in the butt bit it worked right away.

Supported OS/Browser combos

Chrome Supported - Windows - Mac/OSX

Safari - MAC/OSX

Opera Not Supported

IE 10 Not Supported
IE 9 Supported
IE 8 Supported
IE 7 Not Supported
FF 14 Supported
FF 13 Supported
FF 12 Supported
FF 11 Supported
FF 10 Supported
FF 9*Supported
FF 8*Supported
FF 7 Not Supported
FF 6 Not Supported

* Firefox 8 & 9 are not supported on MAC/OSX due to issues with the Sling player (WBSP Player).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)