unactivated receiver as signal meter

Status
Please reply by conversation.

vixens

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Belize, Central America
I am planing to purchase a old/used Directv HD receiver.
The sole purpose will be to use it as a signal meter but for nothing else. I am spending a lot of time on the field to fine tune and my subscription receiver is often in danger of tropical rain damage.

Ka signal meters are much more expensive than an old used receiver. Ebay offers plenty of "leased receivers", very cheap but cannot be activated any more.
Before I purchase, can anyone give me advise what to look for with that receiver ?
Will any working receiver boot up to the signal meter ?
Will a receiver only boot with a card, the correct card or any other card ? (I do have an old card from an old generation receiver).

thanks !

I am planing to purchase a old/used Directv HD receiver.
The sole purpose will be to use it as a signal meter but for nothing else. I am spending a lot of time on the field to fine tune and my subscription receiver is often in danger of tropical rain damage.

Ka signal meters are much more expensive than an old used receiver. Ebay offers plenty of "leased receivers", very cheap but cannot be activated any more.
Before I purchase, can anyone give me advise what to look for with that receiver ?
Will any working receiver boot up to the signal meter ?
Will a receiver only boot with a card, the correct card or any other card ? (I do have an old card from an old generation receiver).

thanks !
You cannot use just ANY card ...
A LEASED recvr is one that needs to be RETURNED to D*, NOT sold thru Ebay.

Some people use to try to use them as OTA tuners as well, some had success, others not, I think it depended on the recvr model.

I have a few old recvrs that are no longer activatable and have had little use due to not being able to get to the correct screens due to it not being activated.

It will do what you are trying to get done.... so long as it is in a physical working condition. It may freeze up on the searching for sat signal screen. From there hit exit. Then menu. Then repeat sat setup. Then Signal meters. Then you know where your going ;). No it does not need any access card at all for this sole purpose.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Get a H20. It's obsolete and SWM compatible (you'll need a B band converter for non SWM). I use on as a signal meter from time to time. Never tried it without a card in it though but I think the signal meter function will still work without one.

Posted Via The FREE iOS SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Get a H20. It's obsolete and SWM compatible (you'll need a B band converter for non SWM). I use on as a signal meter from time to time. Never tried it without a card in it though but I think the signal meter function will still work without one.

Posted Via The FREE iOS SatelliteGuys Reader App!
it will work without a card and he can use any ka compatible receiver that is not swm only for his purposes.

so vixens you can buy any h2X series EXCEPT the h25.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)