Understanding RSN blackout rules

ttomni6

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 14, 2011
Maui
I'm hoping someone with better knowledge can help shed some light on this.

First off, it's my understanding that the programming provider determines the region that you are in and blacks out the sports that are not in your region. DirecTV, DISH, cable have no say in the matter.

All fine and good.

Here's why I'm confused - I have both AT250 and the multi-sports pack. Here in Hawaii, we are considered part of the California region. From what I've seen, DirecTV includes FSW and FSW PRIME TICKET (among others) in their RSN's for Hawaii with no blackouts. Oceanic Time Warner also includes both of those as RSN's with no blackouts.

However, on DISH, the L.A. Kings and Dodger games ARE blacked out on FSW PRIME TICKET. What's more, if a Dodger game is being shown on MLBN or the Kings are shown on NHLN - those games are blacked out as well. This indicates that these other networks are saying we should be watching these games on PRIME TICKET and not MLBN or NHLN.

I wrote to FOX Sports explaining this situation and I asked them why the other providers in this area provide the games in the clear but DISH does not. The only response I received was:

Thank you for taking the time to contact us regarding content aired on FOX or our affiliates. We do our best to address the questions and concerns of our viewers. However, the high volume of inquiries means that although we read all messages, we may not be able to respond to you directly.

Sincerely,

The FOXSports.com Support team

What's more, if a Dodger game is being shown on MLBN or the Kings are shown on NHLN - those games are blacked out as well. This indicates that these other networks are saying we should be watching these games on PRIME TICKET and not MLBN or NHLN.

I would agree. Message a Dirt member and ask them to look into why those games are blacked out on the RSN's.

Do you get any baseball or hockey team via an RSN all the time?

Most college blackout rules are by state. So if a California team is playing a Texas team , all tv channels in California and Texas get the game. I have tried many times via email and phone to get FSN and ESPN networks to move to a conference blackout plan rather than a state plan. Both of those networks blamed the conferences for the blackout rules. So i contacted a couple of conferences. Big 12 and Pac 12 and they deny setting the blackout rule. They say it is networks that make the rules. Personally I believe neither are being truthful. I believe the blackout rules are negotiated as part of the contract and both the networks and conference agree to the blackouts. I also believe the blackout rules are negotiated between the network and the tv provider. For example, during the ladies basketball March Madness Dish network used the State rule. The local cable company was able to show conference games. So in Lubbock if you had Dish you missed all non Texas Big 12 conference team games. If you had Suddenlink cable , you got all Big 12 conference games. Dish did carry all Texas non Big 12 conference team games. Suddenlink did not.

simple

some RSN's have a "extended" area of their coverage. Hawaii is one of them for the Californai sports. Dish probably decided not to pay the extra penny to show those games in Hawaii. So you're blacked out.

Since those RSN's claim Hawaii the games on MLB Net and NHL Net are blacked out. They force you to watch them on your local RSN, which DIsh is too cheap to give you those games so you are blacked out too. Just like the NY fans who cant see their teams because MLB/NHL blacks them out and Dish doesnt carry the NY RSN's

by the way, on DIrectv these teams you could see with no blackouts

FS West HD (Ch. 692) - HD Available
Angels (HD Available)
Los Angeles Kings (HD Available)
Los Angeles Lakers (HD Available)

Prime Ticket (Ch. 693) - HD Available
Anaheim Ducks (HD Available)
Dodgers (HD Available)
Los Angeles Clippers (HD Available)

FS San Diego (Ch. 694) - HD Available
Padres (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet Bay Area HD (Ch. 696) - HD Available
Giants (HD Available)
Golden State Warriors (HD Available)

Comcast SportsNet California HD (Ch. 698) - HD Available
Athletics (HD Available)
Sacramento Kings (HD Available)

I would agree. Message a Dirt member and ask them to look into why those games are blacked out on the RSN's.

Do you get any baseball or hockey team via an RSN all the time?

Thanks for the suggestion. Done.

And yes, we get a combination of basketball, hockey and baseball in the clear on CSNCA, CSNBA and Fox West. Dodgers and LA Kings are on Prime Ticket and those are the games blacked out.

I checked the DISH Network coverage maps for the RSN's but the maps lack enough definition to get an accurate picture of Hawaii coverage. I also called DISH personally, but the rep couldn't verify anything about Prime Ticket.

Thanks again

simple

some RSN's have a "extended" area of their coverage. Hawaii is one of them for the Californai sports. Dish probably decided not to pay the extra penny to show those games in Hawaii. So you're blacked out.

Since those RSN's claim Hawaii the games on MLB Net and NHL Net are blacked out. They force you to watch them on your local RSN, which DIsh is too cheap to give you those games so you are blacked out too. Just like the NY fans who cant see their teams because MLB/NHL blacks them out and Dish doesnt carry the NY RSN's

by the way, on DIrectv these teams you could see with no blackouts

<SNIP>

Thanks for the info Iceberg. That was a great explanation and after many phone calls & emails yesterday - pretty much the same conclusion I came to.

It also helps negate the idea that blackouts are 100% the decision of the programmer and 0% on the part of the carrier.
According to the DISH gamefinder for my zip code (96753), all the RSN's mentioned in your post show up as part of AT120+ as well as multisport - but only Prime shows up as blacked out on both.

A big drag about this - Like for the folks in NY because of MSG Networks - is that the national feeds also get blacked out (unless the nationals have the national carriage right for a particular game). For example, Oct. 12, NBCSN is supposed to carry LA Kings vs. NY Rangers. If NBCSN telecasts this game with the proviso that "local blackout rules apply" - both Hawaii AND NY DISH subscribers get the short end of the (hockey) stick.

One further note, here on DISH Hawaii, we get all the channels in the clear that you mentioned in your original post EXCEPT for Prime. Thing is - 99% of the time, none of the feeds here are in HD even though they are listed in our guide as also available in HD and unlocked. The signal is simply not available here. When tuning to those channels, we get a screen that says, "complete signal loss". Occasionally we do get HD but not very often. How and why DISH HD channels get turned on and off is a subject for another thread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)