unencrypted DSS channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Interesting topic, wonder if my AZBOX would work using the correct plugin as the DVB-S2 cards.. hmmm

Is it possible to hear any of Star Choice or Expressview audio only using this method?

If they are using the same type of video encryption I would assume that it would be possible. However, DirecTV uses DSS Videoguard and I think that encryption type is specific to DirecTV only. I know on 101W you can hear all the audio, but no video, on the Hotel Media package on TP 12061 and they are using Powervu.

Bell uses DVB (same as Dish) and SHaw Direct uses Digicipher II

But as Smitty noted those channels are scrambled

I'm not sure when the meaning of "DSS" changed.
"DSS"- Digital Satellite System- was the name of the original receiver/dish combo used with Directv and USSB programming.
Now it seems to be used as a term (like DVB) for the signal transmission method. Not sure when or why that got started. :confused:

Directv got sued back in the 90s because someone else was already using "DSS", if it wasn't for that they probably would still call it DSS.

Bell uses DVB (same as Dish) and SHaw Direct uses Digicipher II

But as Smitty noted those channels are scrambled
There is no such poster in the thread as I did recheck now.
[Don't make a precedent to turn your nick into something unfamiliar ;).]

BTW, Bell using same Nagravision encryption as Dish, not just DVB.

There is no such poster in the thread as I did recheck now.
I was responding to Bill_KY :)
Bill_KY said:
Is it possible to hear any of Star Choice or Expressview audio only using this method?

BTW, Bell using same Nagravision encryption as Dish, not just DVB.

I mentioned what standard they were using (DVB & DCII) and agreed with you that they were scrambled (all the audio on Bell). Don't know what the issue is ;)

Well, that would be interesting to classify the 4DTV method of transmitting digital sat signal:

Standard Encryption Modulation
-------- ---------- --------------
DVB-S, FTA/Iredeto/Nagravision/Conax/etc, QPSK/8PSK
DVB-S2, <same>, QPSK/8PSK/16APSK/32APSK
DSS, FTA/Videoguard, QPSK
DSS-3, Videoguard, 8PSK [Ka]

4DTV(?), Digicipher II, OOPSK, I-PSK/Q-PSK,

If I missed some,please add to that.

I mentioned what standard they were using (DVB & DCII) and agreed with you that they were scrambled (all the audio on Bell). Don't know what the issue is ;)

BTW, not all the Bell audio is scrambled. It used to be that all the HD stuff had FTA audio, but since it looks like all the HD moved to 8PSK, that isn't available to me anymore, however there are still several SD channels on the remaining QPSK transponders that have FTA audio, and not all of them are even AC3, although mostly it's the AC3 stuff.
I think I saw a bit more than a dozen channels on Nimiq-4, and I remember seeing a few on the other Nimiq last time I went there.

I thought DSS was owned by Hubbard Communication. Wasn't that the premium channel pkg?

Hubbard owned USSB which had all the premium channels and the Viacom channels (MTV, Nick, etc). So when you had DIrecTV you could have both USSB & Directv

Somebody on the web mentioned the latest clear channel DSS Content Reader DSSCR 1.0.6b. DSS-to-DVB 0.3.0 plugin of the same author was mentioned early in this thread to allow watching clear DSS channels with TSReader.

Last edited:
It might be because newer hardware developers offer only BDA drivers, or DSS signal tuning capability in some newer chipsets is turned Off on purpose in their device drivers. But the list of supporting devices above may be incomplete for sure.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)