unencrypted DSS channels?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks.
It looks like photoman76's link above leads to DSS2DVB 0.3.0.
Thanks. Somehow I missed that post. I just downloaded it, and it seems to work a lot better than the version I was using, with respect to picking up all the channels in a mux. I notice that it also acknowledges that the web page went away, but mentions a place to contact the author, although I'm not familiar with the site mentioned.
Sadly, Rod seems to be completely unreachable to anyone, and don't make plugins for new cards, and neither a universal one.
Yes, Rod hasn't seemed to have supported the regular TSREADER much in the past year. I think I renewed my license last September (he DOES respond to messages relative to buying the program), and I don't think there has been a new version since then. He doesn't write the plugins, that is for 3rd party people. What people are asking for is "sources" for new cards, such as a better one for the TT3200, etc. He's apparently very busy with the Pro version.
Wanted to clarify, how exactly you add in your receiver and/or PC Card (using what program?) Audio ONLY channels, when the actual signal is Audio/Video.

Most receivers, and programs for PC cards allow you to create manual channels. Usually you just need to know the audio PID, and the PCR PID, which is usually the video channel, and even if the video itself is encrypted, I think that the PCR info is not encrypted. With the pre-2007 TSREADER, this is what I usually did to be able to play unencrypted audio from a channel that had encrypted video. However with the newer versions, I can just click on the program, and tell it to play via VLC, and the audio will play, without any need to create a manual channel.

A bit off topic, but relevant: does AZBox allow to receive an Audio or Audio/Video stream over Ethernet (streamed in what formats?), tune in & decode it if required and play via TV and AV Receiver?

I'd like to find out more about this myself. I know it can do it with internet type sites, so it should be possible to stream from TSREADER or VLC, but I don't think that it currently is set up to do that, unless I'm missing something. I'm sure that eventually someone will figure out how to do that, or convince the Azbox people to make it more user friendly.

Thanks B.J.
I'm glad to point your attention to this new soft release, since you help a lot by providing in-depth accurate answers to non-common questions. I'm still curious, if TSReader Pro has its "sources" or universal driver continuosly upgraded for new cards, and how to request such an upgrade if this guy is out of touch? As to AZBox, the manufacturer's contact person (not one of distributors with similar websites) is unusually responsive, and seems to be fast catching useful ideas. He seems to be not a regular hired guy, but one of the owners in this family business.

What will probably happen is Direct TV will encrypt the music just like Dish did so I wouldn't buy into it. There is no free lunch for long. Just like with PowerVu and Dc2.

OK guys.. Let's keep some of this stuff quiet. We know that technically the audio isn't currently encrypted on the 101 bird, and the available audio channels aren't listed on Lyngsat. Let's not start making posts that the search engines will find. I am kind of enjoying listening to the audio :) I'd hate for it to get encrypted. In particular I'm referring to a specific audio service that was listed by name in one of the earlier posts. YES it is available. Let's just not start openly discussing.

(Just my opinion)

This should be moved to WUT. How bout it ICE?
Well, if you move it there, don't expect me to respond, as I have no access there, and don't want access there.

However, one last question before it moves...
I'm curious whether anyone has noticed that this DSStoDVB thing seems to only work well on the main DTV sats, like 101, 119, etc, and not so well on spot beams, and doesn't work hardly at all on the 72.5 sat. Seems like either the author has assumed some info about these sats, or else these other sats don't transmit PMT data, ie perhaps they rely on their receivers hitting one of the other sats to load that info???
Actually, the old versions of DSS2DVB seem to work better on these other sats/beams than the new version. And yet AudioRip seems to pick up the audio from which ever sat you're on.

goaliebob there is a link on the first page of this thread to a DSStoDVB download page. Is that what you are looking for? It would be awesome if you hosted it. No telling how much longer it will be available at the posted link.

too late:

Let's not start making posts that the search engines will find.
I read about this several years ago.
Not exactly the biggest secret, but not exactly discussed in public a lot, either.
Those who knew about it, kept it on the down-low.

AND, every post to SatGuy's is instantly published to Google, so once you say it, you can search it.
As for internet caches, they'd have it, too.
So, kinda hard to un-ring the bell.

Hmm...where did you see that there was a new version? What I got from the above posts is that 0.3.0 was the newest. I'm not saying that I'm right though :D I could have missed something...

Well, if you move it there, don't expect me to respond, as I have no access there, and don't want access there.

However, one last question before it moves...
I'm curious whether anyone has noticed that this DSStoDVB thing seems to only work well on the main DTV sats, like 101, 119, etc, and not so well on spot beams, and doesn't work hardly at all on the 72.5 sat. Seems like either the author has assumed some info about these sats, or else these other sats don't transmit PMT data, ie perhaps they rely on their receivers hitting one of the other sats to load that info???
Actually, the old versions of DSS2DVB seem to work better on these other sats/beams than the new version. And yet AudioRip seems to pick up the audio from which ever sat you're on.
Reading an author's notes you could find answers.

Reading an author's notes you could find answers.
I saw several comments relative to it not picking up EIT info for those sats, and one comment about the PMT data sometimes being corrupted, but I didn't notice anything about it not even showing the channels at all. I just looked again, and still don't see any mention of the behavior I'm talking about.
Ie what I'm seeing is that it didn't show ANY PMT info at all, not that the EPG info isn't there. Ie a transponder that has say 10 channels doesn't show ANY channels with this plugin. Older versions used to show all the info on many of the transponders that now miss channels, and now typically show partial PMT info, but the new version now often shows absolutely NO PMT or channel info at all.
I first noticed this behavior on G3C, where I used to get complete listings of all channels, then little by little, these transponders would show fewer and fewer channels, and less and less info on them (ie channel numbers started getting corrupted), so that now, the old version pretty much stopped working on G3C. THe new version now seems to do better on G3C, but nowhere near perfect. But on 72.5, it basically doesn't work at all.

Thankyou.
I agree this should be moved to WUT.
Not really. This has been common knowledge for years. It was widely known and discussed even before DTV shut down their patch-eye gang in 2004(?) I think it was.
The audio isnt encrypted, just 'muted' for lack of a better term in their own IRDs. The audio is FTE, just not a lot of interest with everything else available. I'm not sure they even can encrypt it by just a stream change and CAM authorization. Some of their IRDs, especially the legacy units may require harware changes to rx encrypted audio.
Either way, as posted the bell cant be un-rung. If this thread causes a few, likely a very few more people decide to go to the trouble to rx FTE DSS audio, big deal. I doubt it will be worth a revamp of DTV's already oddball mode of transmission to knock out a few people. It's not that popular or that big of a deal.
BTW, a lot of PowerVu audio is FTE as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)