Unhappy Homeowner & Installer

stardust3

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 7, 2006
Hey guys I have to vent a little about a serious install issue. I work for a retailer in the Tri Cities Tn area. I went to an install today for a customer who was getting a 722 & 311. This couple was blown off and rescheduled 4 or 5 times by the local RSP, because it required a tri pod install, also the home owners association says no dishes are allowed. This customer lives in a town home, 2 story with a garage underneath, there are about 8 units side by side and probably a dozen or so in this complex. They do own this place and have researched the laws on the fcc's website regarding satellite installations in mdu's.
I went over installation with customer and we both understood what he was dealing with. There was a perfect line of sight from his deck and I proceeded with install. I mounted dish on a tri pod inside his deck railing(low profile as possible) and secured tri pod to deck, as I was tuning dish I saw this old geezer walking across parking lot towards me. He stated that I would have to remove dish because the home owners association did not allow satellite dishes. I told him unless the home owner told me different the dish was going in. He proceeded to argue and I told him it was between him and the home owner and that it had nothing to do with me. He left and apparently made a phone call or 2, I continued installing and after a short time the customers girlfriend come out and asked me to stop for the time being as her boyfriend was on the phone with the president of the home owners association. These people are threatening to sue and all kinds of crazy stuff he he goes through with install. His girlfriend is hysterical over the whole deal and willing to give in to these people. The customer on the other hand is not wanting to be bullied by these dish haters.
I was standing there while customer had fcc on speaker phone. They had given him some specific instructions on dealing with this. We rescheduled install for Wednesday per customer so he can sort through red tape to get this thing installed. This is a very nice young couple that is just starting out. They do not need this kind of crap. The best I can tell we are within the law, and the customer agrees. He had done a quite a bit of research before he even placed the order.
I'll help these young people any way I can. Has anybody else dealt with a nazi like home owners association, and how did you deal with it?

Yep there are many customers here who have and many more installers including myself now retired that have, you might want to head to the installer forum here on the site to talk more about it there also.

Yep there are many customers here who have and many more installers including myself now retired that have, you might want to head to the installer forum here on the site to talk more about it there also.

I posted this in this forum because the installer forum is more and more a complainers forum.

if its on the deck then its his exclusive area and he has the right to put it up. The FCC OTARD protects him.

sounds like the HOA has a agreement with the local cable company.

I'm on both sides as I am a home owner and also the president of our HOA. The rules say as long as the dish is under a meter and on his exclusive area then he is protected by OTARD.

i live in an HOA in when i was in southern cali. my 70 3/4 ton ford 4x4 truck was unable to fit in my garage. was about 2 feet to high to clear. HOA actually had my truck towed from my driveway one night while i slept. after researching the hoa bylaws, i found an exclusive clause to parking vehicles outside. if the vehicle is an "eye sore" it must be hidden in the garage. turns out vehicles registered as classic/antique vehicles with the dmv are expempt in the hoa bylaws. my truck actually had these plates(cost half as much to register). requirements for the plates were must be 30 years of age with matching vin numbers on the engine and on the frame. either way, hoa was required to pay for all towing expenses, and i used a cab for 3 days to take me everywhere, used my credit card and kept records. they had to reimburse me for that. even better, found another by-lay, if anyone on the board is found guilty of mis-apporiation of HOA funds, they will be removed from the board, and lose their right to vote on all future hoa issues. the board considered all the cost required to re-imburese me plus towing expense as this, and removed this doosh from the board. for the next couple weeks i had fun parking my truck in front of his house on purpose.

i live in an HOA in when i was in southern cali. my 70 3/4 ton ford 4x4 truck was unable to fit in my garage. was about 2 feet to high to clear. HOA actually had my truck towed from my driveway one night while i slept. after researching the hoa bylaws, i found an exclusive clause to parking vehicles outside. if the vehicle is an "eye sore" it must be hidden in the garage. turns out vehicles registered as classic/antique vehicles with the dmv are expempt in the hoa bylaws. my truck actually had these plates(cost half as much to register). requirements for the plates were must be 30 years of age with matching vin numbers on the engine and on the frame. either way, hoa was required to pay for all towing expenses, and i used a cab for 3 days to take me everywhere, used my credit card and kept records. they had to reimburse me for that. even better, found another by-lay, if anyone on the board is found guilty of mis-apporiation of HOA funds, they will be removed from the board, and lose their right to vote on all future hoa issues. the board considered all the cost required to re-imburese me plus towing expense as this, and removed this doosh from the board. for the next couple weeks i had fun parking my truck in front of his house on purpose.

:up:up:up now that's good!

I don't understand why people gripe about stuff like that especially if the dish is installed behind the house! Too many people have too many control problems and I think they get off telling people what to do to bend to their will. As for the truck, that's funny that you parked it in front of his house.

I don't understand why people gripe about stuff like that especially if the dish is installed behind the house! Too many people have too many control problems and I think they get off telling people what to do to bend to their will. As for the truck, that's funny that you parked it in front of his house.
Why do people do it? Because they are stupid uneducated idiots. No HOA rules, local laws or state laws can trump Federal law. Know your stuff and tell them to "STUFF IT". :D

Why do people do it? Because they are stupid uneducated idiots. No HOA rules, local laws or state laws can trump Federal law. Know your stuff and tell them to "STUFF IT". :D

actually there are some limits (like if the dish was a 6 footer as example) but in this case the OTARD trumps the HOA rules

It was all I could do just biting my tongue to keep from laying into this old geezer. I kept my cool for the home owners sake. I will install this system for this couple, just playing the game.

Just remember you can win the battle and lose the war. You may install the dish but that couple has to live there and any step out of line may bring more repercussions over time.

FIGHT THE POWER !! Yea I come across this crap and it just makes me find a way to get it in.They can set guidelines as to where or how it can be installed but can not deny it without any options.

Just remember you can win the battle and lose the war. You may install the dish but that couple has to live there and any step out of line may bring more repercussions over time.

That's what the girlfriend is afraid of, it is a shame these bullying tactics are so effective.

HOA's. :rolleyes: They are a complete joke.
I can see where you are coming from, especially with HOAs that have control freaks running them (or hassling the board--that happens too). However there can be many advantages to a well-run HOA (with "well-run" being extremely important!). I currently live in a neighborhood with no HOA, and we have several houses with 4 families living in them (it's the only way they can afford a house in California), and 8 cars parked in the driveway and street (I think the garage is used as a living unit in one of them). This makes for a very poor impact on the neighborhood, and it's something that a well-run HOA could help limit.

I also mentioned some dish skins to help dress up the install. We have the American flag, UT football, and a couple of others.

Me personally I am 110% country, country is not just a dictionary term it is a way of life for me and thousands of other people. I am not used to this kind of behavior and would not buy into or tolerate this kind of dictatorship period.
I pee in the back yard the front yard the side yard or what ever. I walk from the house to the pool naked and swim no matter what time of day it is. I raise horses who think they are my next of kin. Snakes live in the creek in front of my house by the dozens. I burn wood for a deep bone warming warmth. I go to sleep at night with the sound of crickets, spring peepers, and dozen other sounds of nature every night & god in my heart. There are no restrictions or home owners associations. Take me away from this place and I would die a slow painful death. I would rather die young than to live old and deal with this kind of nonsense.

if its on the deck then its his exclusive area and he has the right to put it up. The FCC OTARD protects him.

sounds like the HOA has a agreement with the local cable company.

I'm on both sides as I am a home owner and also the president of our HOA. The rules say as long as the dish is under a meter and on his exclusive area then he is protected by OTARD.

So does that make you a self hater? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts