Unhappy with Directv

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Anch.AK

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Feb 13, 2006
I ordered Directv from their 1-800 number and switched from Dish Network to Directv on Jan. 24th. The equipment needed to get Directv in Anchorage, AK is a 5lnb 1.2 meter dish and H20 recievers, the installation went fine until a couple of days later when the dish was not tight and it got misaligned form 30mph winds. For the last 6 days I put in for 2 service calls and both times nobody showed up. I was furious I called them up venting anger and realized that they don't have lots if any retailers like Dish Network has here in Anchorage. Dish Network and (GCI the statewide cable company) have been competitors for years, but Directv has just established themselves and are having a hard time. They have no partnerships with any local companies and it shows as according to the Anchorage Daily News our city of 300,000 people only 5% are Directv customers mostly bars for NFL Sunday Ticket. The rest subsribe to Dish or GCI my question is that can anybody tell me are things going to get better or is this big national company going to blow off Alaska? Was it a mistake to switch to Directv?

Was that 800# a DirecTV number or a 3rd party retailer?

Actually, even though I sympathise with you 100%, it sounds like a bad install contractor rather than DirecTV directly. I have been with DirecTV since 1996 and even tried Dish Network once for two years to see the other side (ended 12/31/05) and was so glad I never stopped my DirecTV. I agree they probably haven't built a quality network of people they can count on yet install-wise, but they have to start somewhere to weed out the bad ones with help from people like yourself. Remember DirecTV really is your only your TV service and the subsequent billing/customer service, they can't hold the installers hands. Those guys need to be well trained pros before they get out there in the world, and the majority really are; you just got a bad one; I know that is no help to you. I am assuming that being such a small community that you might know your installer? Give him a call, he might just come back?

Your Right

It was a contractor I'm sure they didn't work for Directv, but neither do the Dish Network installers work for Echostar. I believe it works like this there are many Dish Network retailers and installers here in Anchorage, but those retailers buy equipment directly from Echostar and the retailers have to pay shipping. Once it gets here the retailers do their own markup on the products. It's like a private company privatizing which is strange. Directv doesn't seem to have any retailers or people with any know how nor do they provide us with our local NBC and CBS affilates and until they do they'll never be able to take market share away from Dish Network or GCI. I have to admit it was smart for Echostar to partner with GCI's biggest rival ACS (Alaska Communication Systems www.acsalaska.com) to help get their products statewide a few years ago.

Welcome Anch AK :wave

Do you know who did your install? Do you still have the paperwork. Maybe they can get someone back out to tighten down the dish for you so it works

(on an OT note...I've dealt with ACS in my telecom profession...they REALLY like to push Dish Network. They did that to me when I was calling to add a feature to one of our locations up there) :)

Did they install the 2 side braces? and after that, my installer went back and out self taping screws into every joint so nothing could work loose!!

No they didn't leave any contacts. They were just a couple of kids that did the installation. It's over anyway because I gave one more chance for today between 8am and 12pm they said they would send somebody out to recalibrate the dish and nobody showed up for a third time. If you can believe it that they told me yesterday if I cancel the recievers would have be shipped back to them using the USPS on my expense. I don't think so they'll either send me shipping labels or if Directv ever has a contractor available they can send him to come pick this crap up and get it out of my house.

Did you deal with the installation company or D* directly with the service calls?

If you installation company does not want to come back out D* will be happy to and charge the company $100.

Although yesterday was there last chance. They had their shot they didn't show. But now I need to go on the roof and make some coaxial cable changes. In Alaska Directv uses a 1.2meter dish and Dish Network uses a 30inch Dish. I need to go up there sometime this week and plug the coaxial cable back into the Dish Network Dish. To answer some questions the service calls were made to Directv not to a retailer since for some reason they only have Dish Network retailers here in Anchorage, but dish has been here for years. The lady who helped me cancel told me they have been having serious problems getting started in Hawaii as well. They also said they have some kind of reconnecting offer for me if I choose to go back to Directv. But for now I don't think so they are not ready for primetime and they still haven't made any deals with our local Best Buy so there isn't anyway to buy any of there products here.

Hi Anchorage. Bigal in Utah here and I got really perturbed with Directv here and honestly, Thats how they work. You need to tell the People that you WILL CANCEL your account and that you Have already WRITTEN a letter to their Corporate Office. STOMP on their Desks, I did and they "GAVE ME 2 Months FREE SERVICE. I have a C-Band Dish also and Felt that it was best until the PER Channel thing went up and everything started going Digital. Now I have only the East Feeds of ABC,NBC, CBS and Watch Shows early and sometimes Days earlier. Don't Give up. Thats all The Big Guys want is the $$$$, and you and I as the Consumers and Users need to LET THEM KNOW who pays their WAGES and Fills their wallets. Do it it Works, Let me know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)