Uniden UST 7700

Status
Please reply by conversation.

willie8605

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 6, 2009
Oklahoma
Over the Christmas break I was at my girlfriend's grandparents who happen to have an old 15 foot BUD I have always admired and hope to have some day. This time I was there, I found the receiver they used with the BUD. It is a Uniden UST 7700 with remote (UST 7700i). They no longer use the BUD and were happy to let me take the receiver. I couldn't find the manual, so I have little information about this receiver. I have done some Googling and searched the forums, but haven't found anything very informative. So far, all I really know is what I have gathered from looking at the receiver. It has support for both C & Ku bands and has dish motor control capabilities. Does any have a copy of the manual for this or any advice/information about using it? Anything at all is appreciated! I will post pics later.

If I remember right the 7700 was the lower end unit to the 9900 IRD which was my first C band receiver.

I found this in a old catalog about them (attachment)

I've been going through some old satellite and video stuff I have here over the holidays. Man those were the days :)

EDIT: I just found my UST-9900 IRD original manual. I would scan it but it is over 30 pages (too much) I may be able to scan some specific stuff if you think it may apply to the 7700 let me know anything specific you may want to know.

Tvropro

Attachments

• Uniden.jpg
    Uniden.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 502
  • 9900.jpg
    9900.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 420
Last edited:
Still have one of those, good little receiver but no motor control on that one. Use it sometimes when I'm aligning my big dishes, with analog you can still find enough feeds to get loosely setup on the arc, then switch to a digital receiver to fine tune. It'll do a fast channel scan too, which is very helpful.

EDIT: I just found my UST-9900 IRD original manual. I would scan it but it is over 30 pages (too much) I may be able to scan some specific stuff if you think it may apply to the 7700 let me know anything specific you may want to know.

Tvropro[/QUOTE]

I am a newbie to all things satellite. I just moved into a house that has an older Unimesh 10ft dish out back. The old owner passed along a Uniden UST 9900 receiver and the UST 9900P power supply.
I was very excited when I found this post from TVROPRO saying he has a original manual for this receiver. I sure could use it. I am pretty handy and feel confident I can get this set up and working, I just have a few questions:
1- Will this system actually work and give me fta programing?
2- There is no remote control with this receiver. Do I need one to use it?
3- I can't seem to find an East/ West button on the receiver in order to move the dish. Does one of the other buttons accomplish this?

I had better stop with the questions now. I know I need the manual and probably the remote and I am hoping the Satellite Guys community can help. I really want to learn how this all works.

Tvropro

I am a newbie to all things satellite. I just moved into a house that has an older Unimesh 10ft dish out back. The old owner passed along a Uniden UST 9900 receiver and the UST 9900P power supply.
I was very excited when I found this post from TVROPRO saying he has a original manual for this receiver. I sure could use it. I am pretty handy and feel confident I can get this set up and working, I just have a few questions:
3- I can't seem to find an East/ West button on the receiver in order to move the dish. Does one of the other buttons accomplish this?

I had better stop with the questions now. I know I need the manual and probably the remote and I am hoping the Satellite Guys community can help. I really want to learn how this all works.

1.) If your dish is properly aligned, and all the components of your feed assembly, cabling and inside electronics are functional, you should be able to view what little analog programming is left.

Your receiver is analog only, to receive FTA digtal programming you will need a DVB receiver, they are cheap and plentiful, both used and new.

2.) I'm not familiar with that particular receiver but you can probably still use it to move your dish and to change the polarity (horizontal and vertical) of your feed. You might need a remote to do some of the programming functions though.

3.) I bet someone here is familiar with that receiver, I wonder if it may may a separate dish positioner?

Bottom line, you should have some useful equipment there, start a new thread in the C-band section and post some pics of everything you have, lots of help here to get you going. :)

Tvropro

E&W and call is on the remote if I remember right. I had 2 remotes I swapped the receiver for a Chaparral Sierra and VC2 cage and cash years ago. I had the 2nd remote till a few years back when I took it apart to use some parts out of it. It's a shame I butchered it. The second remote was brand new. Oh well...

UST 9900 Major pages of manual.

I used my camera to take some shots of the major pages on operation from the manual. There readable at full size double click on the lightbox image to get and save the full size.

Enjoy :)

TvroPro ;)

Attachments

• 91.jpg
    91.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 371
  • 923.jpg
    923.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 934.jpg
    934.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 378
  • 95.jpg
    95.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 351
Thanks to Phlatwound and TVROPRO for the helpful advice and pictures. Bottom line, at least from what I am hearing is, even if I get this system working, I still won't be able to get very much FTA programming.
Would I be better off investing my time and money in a DVB receiver, as suggested by Phlatwound, or can I get some kind of digital converter to make my Uniden UST 9900 receiver work? It has C and Ku if that makes any difference.
Also, if I need to buy a DVB receiver, what would be a good quality one and what can I expect to pay for it used?
Also, will my dish (Unimesh 10') work with any receiver?
Thanks in advance,
kinetic711

I have a Uniden 7700 that I use for a dish positioner (and the very few analog transponders). Works well. Easy to program in satellites but you have to use the two character designations (A-Z)+(0-9); for AMC-3 I use W3. It will also operate the skew servo if need be (I use the Pansat 3500 DVB receiver to do that now). I have the manuals for the receiver and motor control but yes they are quite big...

I will try to scan some of it, maybe look for a PM later today.
-C.

It sure looks like my first receiver from 22 years ago. I can't remember the model. The dish positioner was a separate box and was ruggedly built. When the boxes were placed side by side it looked like one unit. I think the east-west buttons were right on the front.

The receiver part had a flip down door on the front and remote had a flip up door to expose more buttons. I used it for 11 years.

Thanks to Phlatwound and TVROPRO for the helpful advice and pictures. Bottom line, at least from what I am hearing is, even if I get this system working, I still won't be able to get very much FTA programming.
Would I be better off investing my time and money in a DVB receiver, as suggested by Phlatwound, or can I get some kind of digital converter to make my Uniden UST 9900 receiver work? It has C and Ku if that makes any difference.
Also, if I need to buy a DVB receiver, what would be a good quality one and what can I expect to pay for it used?
Also, will my dish (Unimesh 10') work with any receiver?
Thanks in advance,
kinetic711

Yes, you won't get much FTA with what you have, money spent on a DVB receiver would be well spent, you can only receive analog signals with your Uniden, not much analog left.

No you can't "convert" your existing receiver but it could be useful for moving your dish and changing polarity, most DVB receivers won't perform those functions (I'm you have a assuming a servo-type feedhorn).

For starting out you can get a Coolsat 5000 or 6000 or Visionsat IV-200 (receivers I am familiar with, but there are others) for well less than $100 delivered from the "big online auction". They are standard definition only, and no PVR, but a very good place to start.

Our forum sponsors (on top of each page) have about anything you might ever need if you want to buy new equipment.

And yes, your 10' Unimesh will work with anything, those are a quality mesh dish.

Yes, you won't get much FTA with what you have, money spent on a DVB receiver would be well spent, you can only receive analog signals with your Uniden, not much analog left.

No you can't "convert" your existing receiver but it could be useful for moving your dish and changing polarity, most DVB receivers won't perform those functions (I'm you have a assuming a servo-type feedhorn).

For starting out you can get a Coolsat 5000 or 6000 or Visionsat IV-200 (receivers I am familiar with, but there are others) for well less than $100 delivered from the "big online auction". They are standard definition only, and no PVR, but a very good place to start.

Our forum sponsors (on top of each page) have about anything you might ever need if you want to buy new equipment.

And yes, your 10' Unimesh will work with anything, those are a quality mesh dish.

Thanks for the info Phlatwound. My current problem is I can't get the dish to move, there are no east/west buttons on the receiver. Apparently the remote is needed to preform this function, and I don't have a remote. I guess I had better try to find a remote first, make sure the dish moves, and then look into buying a DVB receiver.
If everything works out and my dish does move and I buy a DVB receiver, do I need anything else to start getting FTA programming? I am sorry if this is a dumb question but I really am a newbie. Thanks again,
kinetic711
PS- If anyone has a remote for a Uniden 9900 receiver, (see picture in Tvropro's post above) I would really like to talk to you.

If you can't find a remote or figure out how to move your dish with what you have you might consider a G-Box or V-Box mover. I think there are reviews of each in the FTA Reviews forum. You can also sometimes find old analog receivers w/remotes for the price of shipping plus a few bucks online, that's another option.

You could test your actuator on your dish with a car battery or battery charger to verify if it would work.

I can't think of anything else major right off that you would need if you get a DVB receiver, and all your other components are functional.

Highly recommended to read the FAQs and sticky threads in the FTA areas, start a new thread and get some pics posted of your stuff. :)

kinetic, I still have a 9900UST and remote. You might try one of the replacement remote places on the web, just for grins, but I wouldn't hold out on finding one. Best bet might be one of the Universal remotes like a Harmony, that can be programmed from the internet, I think they have codes for just about anything. I'd program a 'learning' type remote for you if you wanted to go to that much trouble, and take care of the shipping. PM me if needed. I think that learning remotes can still be had.

kinetic, I still have a 9900UST and remote. You might try one of the replacement remote places on the web, just for grins, but I wouldn't hold out on finding one. Best bet might be one of the Universal remotes like a Harmony, that can be programmed from the internet, I think they have codes for just about anything. I'd program a 'learning' type remote for you if you wanted to go to that much trouble, and take care of the shipping. PM me if needed. I think that learning remotes can still be had.

Thanks for the offer Turbosat, I will keep it in mind. I think I will test the dish today, the way that Phlatwound suggested (with a battery) and see if it moves. If it does move, then I will be interested in getting a remote. I'll post the result soon.

kinetic711, Do you have the interconnecting cable between the boxes connected? I remember a round plug with 5 or 6 pins on the cable.

Can we see a photo of the receiver?

Well, no good news to report. I tried to get the dish to move from inside the house. I tried from the power supply and from a battery as suggested earlier, but no go. I guess I will have to go outside and put power right to the motor and see what happens, but not today; it's -30C right now, (that's about 22 below F). I'm thinking maybe the power supply is no good or maybe there is a cut in the wire underground or maybe the motor doesn't work or maybe the actuator arm is seized from years of non use. I will try to eliminate these possibilities one at a time once it gets a little warmer. In the mean time, as requested, here are some pictures of what I am working with. By the way, the wiring in the house is a 3 part, flat, black wire. 1 part has 5 wires (red, white, yellow, black, green), 1 part has 3 wires, (red, black, white) and 1 part is a co-ax cable.

Attachments

• UST9900Front.jpg
    UST9900Front.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 372
  • UST9900Back.jpg
    UST9900Back.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 289
  • 9900P.jpg
    9900P.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 295
Sorry Willie, looks like my scanner doesn't work. Played with it today for a bit but it's lost cause, think the power supply went. I will try to go somewhere else and scan it when I get a chance and load it on a USB drive. Maybe on the weekend (I might p/u a new one)...
-C.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts