Unimesh cband dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

dl76

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 9, 2013
South Carolina
Hello guys . Maybe some one can help me on this cband dish i got. Trying to determine the size of it. Tape measure reads from one side to another measures 7 feet 7 inches. But if i measure the dish and lay the tape measure flat on dish It measures 8 foot. Question is . Is this a 8 foot dish or 7 1/2 foot dish. Here is a pictures
uploadfromtaptalk1429998701366.jpg

It is in great shape has acuator arm with it too. I got a 6 foot and 10 foot mesh also but they have been taken apart. I thought this one in picture was a 8 foot. Wanted to set it up instead of putting together 10 foot. Can this 7.5 get 90 percent of the signal on cband? I read 8 foot will get about 90 percent.

Doubt you will see much difference between a 7.5 and 8' if both are same build quality and surface accuracy reflectors. Someone else might input, but that looks like a Winegard. If so, it had good performance and build quality.

Won't lock the 9/10 FEC S2 like a 10' will, but as you were told, it should lock most DVBS S2 channels with lower FEC. Pair it up with a good feedhorn and LNBs and you'll have a nice addition to your growing dish farm!

I've got a 10ft Unimesh that doesn't work any better than the 7.5ft SAMI it replaced. In fact, I wish I had the SAMI back!

As Brian says though and from what I see that dish of yours looks very much like a Winegard and appears to be better built than this Unimesh I have? Kinda makes me wonder if Unimesh was into the "rebranding" thingie in later years?

Ennywho, hope it works out well for you as I love to see these old dishes revived for use in the hobby!

It is in great shape has acuator arm with it too. I got a 6 foot and 10 foot mesh also but they have been taken apart. I thought this one in picture was a 8 foot. Wanted to set it up instead of putting together 10 foot. Can this 7.5 get 90 percent of the signal on cband? I read 8 foot will get about 90 percent.
Your dish appears to be in really good shape. I say get a pole in the ground and get it back in service.

Not Unimesh or Winegard, but FWIW: I rescued a 7.5' Echostar/KTI that needed a lot of TLC. After straightening panels and replacing a piece of missing mesh, I put a Titanium C-band PLL LNBF on it.

Several hours of fine tuning and it's tracking the arc pretty well from 78W to 139W (trees block beyond 78W). I have not had trouble with locking and scanning most transponders. However, there are a handful of transponders that I've found that are just below locking threshold (at least with my equipment). I'm located about in the center of the U.S., your location might vary your results.

Overall, I've been very happy with the performance of this dish and LNBF combo. I get a good stable lock on everything I'm wanting to watch. My biggest issue with the 7.5' dish is my worn out actuator... I also have a 10' dish that I could swap in for the 7.5', but the smaller dish has worked well enough to put that project on hold.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

Measure edge to edge, straight across. 7.5' Great looking dish! Looks to be in excellent condition.

I measured edge to edge, it reads 7 foot 7inches, even used two tape measures to make sure my tape measure wasnt off, must have been a Friday manufactured dish.

Won't lock the 9/10 FEC S2 like a 10' will, but as you were told, it should lock most DVBS S2 channels with lower FEC.
Not sure what you mean about 9/10 FEC S2? Please explain

Your dish appears to be in really good shape. I say get a pole in the ground and get it back in service.

Not Unimesh or Winegard, but FWIW: I rescued a 7.5' Echostar/KTI that needed a lot of TLC. After straightening panels and replacing a piece of missing mesh, I put a Titanium C-band PLL LNBF on it.

Several hours of fine tuning and it's tracking the arc pretty well from 78W to 139W (trees block beyond 78W). I have not had trouble with locking and scanning most transponders. However, there are a handful of transponders that I've found that are just below locking threshold (at least with my equipment). I'm located about in the center of the U.S., your location might vary your results.

Overall, I've been very happy with the performance of this dish and LNBF combo. I get a good stable lock on everything I'm wanting to watch. My biggest issue with the 7.5' dish is my worn out actuator... I also have a 10' dish that I could swap in for the 7.5', but the smaller dish has worked well enough to put that project on hold.

Good luck with your project and keep us posted!

Thanks Jason, dish is in great shape, Still need to go dig up pole it was on. I have seen these Titanium C-band lnbf on ebay , what is the difference with the one with the WiMax filter and the one with out it?

Not sure what you mean about 9/10 FEC S2? Please explain

This signal requires 9 out of 10 bits of data to be without error. If more than 9 out every 10 bits have errors, then the signal will break up and not be decoded properly. This will result in chirping and hash sounds in the audio and square blocks of gibberish video appearing on the screen. In worse case situations, the video and/or audio will not playback.

Other signals have more forgiving FEC (Forward Error Correction) ratios like 2/3 or 3/4 and more bad signal will be tolerated before decoding errors affect the audio and/or video.

A larger dish is capable of collecting more signal to produce better ratios of good data vs bad data.

Thanks Jason, dish is in great shape, Still need to go dig up pole it was on. I have seen these Titanium C-band lnbf on ebay , what is the difference with the one with the WiMax filter and the one with out it?

Titanium (Brian from Titanium Satellite) can explain the WiMax filter much better... As I understand things, the WiMax/WiFi filter will remove stray interfering signals that may be present from external wireless connections (4G and other sources). Without the filter - wireless connection points, if present, may interfere with or inhibit C-band signal reception.

I'm sure others will chime in to clarify, correct me or to add additional information...

Reactions: dlf35121
Great explanation Jason S! Wide area WiFi (WiMAX) is available in many areas and some of the frequencies will interfere and even block C-band satellite transponder reception. The C1-PLL with WiMAX filter soft attenuates frequencies below 3.7GHz and hard cut eliminates below 3.6GHz.

Here in North America, I am not aware of any transponders the C1-PLL with WiMAX filter eliminates. Maybe other members know of a transponder that can be received in North America that is below 3.6GHz?

If you have wide area WiFi or WiMAX 4G terrestrial signals in your area, get the C1-PLL. It works great to eliminate the interference! If this is not a problem, you could use either LNBF.

This signal requires 9 out of 10 bits of data to be without error. If more than 9 out every 10 bits have errors, then the signal will break up and not be decoded properly. This will result in chirping and hash sounds in the audio and square blocks of gibberish video appearing on the screen. In worse case situations, the video and/or audio will not playback.

Other signals have more forgiving FEC (Forward Error Correction) ratios like 2/3 or 3/4 and more bad signal will be tolerated before decoding errors affect the audio and/or video.

A larger dish is capable of collecting more signal to produce better ratios of good data vs bad data.

Thanks Titanium I understand now.

Titanium (Brian from Titanium Satellite) can explain the WiMax filter much better... As I understand things, the WiMax/WiFi filter will remove stray interfering signals that may be present from external wireless connections (4G and other sources). Without the filter - wireless connection points, if present, may interfere with or inhibit C-band signal reception.

I'm sure others will chime in to clarify, correct me or to add additional information...

From what i understand is , There could be cell phone towers that could interfere with signal and the wimax filter, filters it out.

It will be a few months before i get , One these dishes up, or both. Thanks for the info so far guys..

Hello guys . Maybe some one can help me on this cband dish i got. Trying to determine the size of it. Tape measure reads from one side to another measures 7 feet 7 inches. But if i measure the dish and lay the tape measure flat on dish It measures 8 foot. Question is . Is this a 8 foot dish or 7 1/2 foot dish. Here is a picturesView attachment 106448

7 foot 7 inches; Unimesh made by Uniden? They are still great dishes; and nice f/d for flatness. It is the inside edge of the dishes curved shape to the same inside edge for diameter (line across cutting pie into half); and that is the part of the dish used in signal reflector's; satellite dishes; mirror surfaces of telescopes; etc.

Can we have a offset please...

7 foot 7 inches; Unimesh made by Uniden? They are still great dishes; and nice f/d for flatness. It is the inside edge of the dishes curved shape to the same inside edge for diameter (line across cutting pie into half); and that is the part of the dish used in signal reflector's; satellite dishes; mirror surfaces of telescopes; etc.

Can we have a offset please...

if i measure from center of the dish to the outside, it measures 4 foot. all the way around it. When i say center i put tape measure center of hole to the very edge, that is what had me thinking, it was a 8 foot. anyways its got to be a 7.5 foot, or like i said a "Friday manufactured dish" made on friday at the shop ,people tired ready to go home for the weekend and wasn't thinking strait. etc.. but from edge to edge it measures 7 foot 7 inches.

I've always said; if it works for the channels you want; use it. C Band may have a maintenance factor, as it is just like any old used car; the more you use it; the more it is worth (and maint. is the only cost after you pay 1200.00 to get one delivered new; an older one must be worth itself in waiting to be used). Really, to get a new 10 foot dish does cost near to this number delivered; an 8 or 6 or 7.5 should be worth something.

Old car - free
old car running complete - $37,000

From what i understand is , There could be cell phone towers that could interfere with signal and the wimax filter, filters it out.
It will be a few months before i get , One these dishes up, or both. Thanks for the info so far guys..
No problem. Hopefully my $0.02 has helped some... BTW, I haven't had an issue with the FEC 9/10 transponders.

i have a 10 and 6 foot broke down , if you read from earlier post bud..
Just curious, any progress with it?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 7)