union link for installers not tryin to start trouble

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I agree a pressure treated post of any size also warps in the sun. I have had a few jobs that the customer put in themselves and sometime weekly had to go back and realign due to it warping in the sun and rain. The best way to go is a steel post.

ply wood and crappie,

4X4 as long as it is premium will outlast a fence post. either way, they ARE NOT FREE,EVER, PERIOD. BTW concrete will rot steel faster than pressure treated wood,, look it up.

a directv dish is meant to be mounted to the side wall of the home, look at the spec manuals. you want a pole, you are paying, period. you want steel, that is fine. i recommend 4X4s. when the kid hits the center fence post with a football, who are you gonna call, the pole mount is NOT guaranteed!! EVER.

what happened

what happened in Nashville is as follows,
the union was defeated,,,,,,,,by office staff and warehouse staff and five field trainers who were not supposed to vote, our attorney let that slip. the technicians who were the only ones affected by the changes, voted in majority for representation, the count was 61-56, (11 office staff, 4 warehouse persons), we will pursue appeal through NLRB, there were some things we had question about and got two different answers from NLRB , we''ll see how it goes.

rajincajun said:
what happened in Nashville is as follows,
the union was defeated,,,,,,,,by office staff and warehouse staff and five field trainers who were not supposed to vote, our attorney let that slip. the technicians who were the only ones affected by the changes, voted in majority for representation, the count was 61-56, (11 office staff, 4 warehouse persons), we will pursue appeal through NLRB, there were some things we had question about and got two different answers from NLRB , we''ll see how it goes.

61 - 56 For or against the union? What did you need to pass? A certain percentage?

sateck01 said:
ply wood and crappie,

4X4 as long as it is premium will outlast a fence post. either way, they ARE NOT FREE,EVER, PERIOD. BTW concrete will rot steel faster than pressure treated wood,, look it up.

a directv dish is meant to be mounted to the side wall of the home, look at the spec manuals. you want a pole, you are paying, period. you want steel, that is fine. i recommend 4X4s. when the kid hits the center fence post with a football, who are you gonna call, the pole mount is NOT guaranteed!! EVER.

I am sorry but 4x4 has no structural bracing to keep it straight. And It may not warp up north. But if you do that down here then you be be realigning after the pole gets wet and dries again.

cobra55 said:
my opion, unions = outsourcing.
I may be a little thick-skulled, but I don't see how someone in Mexico, Canada, India can install a DBS system in Kansas.
IMHO, other jobs that can't be sent off-shore include police, firefighters, hospital staff, fast-food workers and truck drivers. Almost every part of the DTV operation can be done somewhere else except the techs. Even the uplink could be in Mexico.
A lot of the reason our manufacturing has gone off-shore is the tax system drives up the the cost of products. Sure, a Chinese child can make product for WallyWorld cheaper than an American, but that would change if unions existed in the third-world.
If by outsourcing, you mean subcontractors, DTV is getting away from that.
Now, 'splane to me how installs can be outsourced to Nepal.

bamaman said:
50% plus 1

Has anybody paid attention to the people (minus any subversive activity) who voted against the union? Even without the 15 people in question, it sounds like a close vote. If you can find out why they voted against, maybe you can come to a closer ground in becoming more "unified" for the next vote.

Talking to techs all day long, my thoughts

Anything that will keep experienced techs on the job is good for Directv. IMHO this run of the mill hourly job that the companies seem to be gunning for would increase turnover immensely, the big problem we have at the call centers. New people who do not have a clue as much of which is learned is not taught and some information is not in our database at all. Which should help explain to some of you newer techs why sometimes activations are a breeze and why sometimes they take for ever. (that and new software issues, write a small book of rants 'bout that) A two way deal, I agree that they should be able to keep their wages at their current level if all techs do what is supposed to be done and most do. However some of you guys install and run to the next job before confirming if the setup is correct, not programming the remote to the receivers which can be tricky explaining to an eighty year old woman how to do over the phone and spend some time with the customer showing them how it works. Sub contracting techs doing sloppy work and then rely on techs from the area to fix their work is wrong. I think these guys should be held accountable for their work. Do not get me wrong many of you are EXCELLENT but some of you, and I have feeling these guys do not keep their jobs I hope, should be working at MCdonalds. SHow up drunk and asking customers for beer doing partial installations and considering it done calling and activating before your even half way done for some people this seems a normal day for them. So I am all for anything that can keep all of you techs happy as your expertise is needed by Directv we do not need any more newbies that are so unprofessional you would be offended if they waited on you at Mcdonalds.

we paid attention

Chado,
yes we did look at that part of the vote. Of the people who voted no the majority have been employed here less than 12 months, therefore they have not seen first hand what has gone on, some believed the anti-union rhetoric being posted. we did talk to these people, all we could do and did do, is state to them why we were doing what we were, people made up their own minds. many people who were supporters quit to find other employment in the weeks prior to, i think the number is 10-12. we learned quite a lot throughout this venture, it actually was fun, lessons learned the hardest seem to stay with you the longest.

rajincajun said:
Chado,
yes we did look at that part of the vote. Of the people who voted no the majority have been employed here less than 12 months, therefore they have not seen first hand what has gone on, some believed the anti-union rhetoric being posted. we did talk to these people, all we could do and did do, is state to them why we were doing what we were, people made up their own minds. many people who were supporters quit to find other employment in the weeks prior to, i think the number is 10-12. we learned quite a lot throughout this venture, it actually was fun, lessons learned the hardest seem to stay with you the longest.

Caj,

Like you said, you did all you could do. Nothing more that can be asked of you really.

Best of Luck

Just because of what happen in Nashville doesn't mean the rest of us should give up on getting union in.

phatnuts said:
:cool: :cool: Has anyone noticed a definate change in thier route or is it just me??

Tell you what I have noticed, a sh*tload of new vans parked outside our office just waiting for underpaid techs.

just a note

hello all my good friends, a quick note to bring all up to speed. after conversation with cwa attorney, an appeal for the nashville office has been filed with the nlrb. there were many things done by the other side that were false, misleading, intimidating, promissory, and some just flat un-truths. there is going to be a hearing with the nlrb and both sides, hopefully we'll prevail. i shall keep all informed as to status. this should start taking place soon. bamaman pm me, we need to talk, uboat& phats i'll call you both.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts