Unique situation around my HD upgrade ...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

sonyv3000

Original poster
Oct 20, 2007
A few questions about the best way to proceed with an HD upgrade....

Was living in suburban Chicago when I first got DTV. About two years later my wife took a job way out in the sticks and we moved there, to a small town SW of Rockford. Since I kept my job in Chicago I rented a small apartment to stay at during the week.

I wanted to keep getting the Chicago Local channels so I moved and reinstalled the dish myself and had the billing address changed to my apartment, so I do get the Bills OK. All has been fine until I got a new 40" Sony LCD. We can pick up a bit of OTA from Rockford (including CBS and NBC in 1080 :) ) but obviously I'd like to upgrade.

The dish I have is a 3 LNB from around 2004.

Anyways, I never changed the Service address and in fact that apartment complex was torn down about a year ago, LOL.

I have the old Choice plus package which I'd like to mainain.

So......

-Can I just go buy an H20 at CC or BB and call to activate it and update programming etc, knowing i won't get MPEG4 stuff yet.

-I've heard bad things about the H20 being very slow. I have 2 samsung boxes which are really fast and an RCA which is very slow; I'd be really annoyed if the H20 is as slow as my RCA box.

-Are there indeed rebates for this unit?

-Could I then later buy a 5 LNB (I've seen them for sale online) and install it myself?

-Does the 5 LNB slim include an OTA antenna?

-The whole point is to not have to have an installer come out which would mean tipping them off that I'm not in Chicago anymore because the local channel selection in this area isn't good.

-I got the impression the fee for HD access was less if you have the DVR, is this true?

Thanks, all.

Last edited:
Wow 97 reads in 2 days and no responses... can anyone answer at least some of my questions?

I give it a shot...

-Can I just go buy an H20 at CC or BB and call to activate it and update programming etc, knowing i won't get MPEG4 stuff yet.

I am not sure if they sell to existing customers, but if they did there is no reason why you couldn't (or buy one off of ebay)... If you know you are not going to get the MPEG4, I am sure you could find a HR10-250 cheap on ebay.

-I've heard bad things about the H20 being very slow. I have 2 samsung boxes which are really fast and an RCA which is very slow; I'd be really annoyed if the H20 is as slow as my RCA box.
Is there a question here?

-Are there indeed rebates for this unit?
Not that I have heard, just 100 off for a new customer, but an agent may be able to get the price down for you.

-Could I then later buy a 5 LNB (I've seen them for sale online) and install it myself?
If you think you can do it, there wouldn't be anything stoping you. There is no need to call D* to activate a dish.

-Does the 5 LNB slim include an OTA antenna?
No, and when you do install, remember you will need a dedicated line.

-The whole point is to not have to have an installer come out which would mean tipping them off that I'm not in Chicago anymore because the local channel selection in this area isn't good.
Again, no question. You could say you moved, and see if you quallify for a movers connection upgrade. Let them know you have a dish already, but just needto upgade. You might get a deal.

-I got the impression the fee for HD access was less if you have the DVR, is this true?
Nope. 9.99 For HD Access, 4.99 for the HD Extrta pack (in December), 5.99 for the DRV service fee. what is funny is there Plus DVR Pack is 59.99, and the Plus HD-DVR pack is 69.99, more than it would be a la carte.

Hope this helps (or gets the ball moving on the tread).

I think you should move and get the H20 installed with the 5 LNB dish. If you aren't happy with all the channels you will have available you can "MOVE" again to get the local you want.

or you can move from the chicago addy to another chicago addy or suburban address off a friend, let them come out and install it, take it down yourself and reinstall it in the rockford address.. my friend has done this with Moline already.

You could go to best buy get the box, activate it, set up your own dish however, HD needs a strong signal (90s are best)and hooking it up right so you dont get a sfss in a slight rain could be hard depending on location etc.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts