UNIVERSAL C/KU lnb WSI vs DMS

Status
Please reply by conversation.

orlyPR

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 2, 2012
caribbean
hy! i have a WSI UNIVERSAL C/KU lnb for Intelsat 21 @ 58w, the problem is not getting the Ku band feed. The channels from C band are OK. Using a CONICAL SCALAR RING and Skew (not remember but not in 0).
i contact to WSI for support, WSI ask me for more detail but never answer back.
I need suggestion for try to other recommended setting or swap to DMS?

I ran some tests (some time ago) with a C/Ku DMS International, and it worked fine getting both the C and Ku bands.
Hopefully someone else can provide further comments on their experiences with this one and the WSI

sorry if i ask questions that have already been asked, more information is needed dish type - prime focus / offset, dish size,
using the correct LO , picture would be great also.

if you have everything setup correctly i will suggest these tips for you.
C-band signal is easier to find than KU , find you best signal for C-band on that satellite then switch to KU signal (a good transponder on that same satellite)
then adjust the lnbf slightly in or out (toward dish & away from dish) to see if KU can be gained.

sorry if i ask questions that have already been asked, more information is needed dish type - prime focus / offset, dish size,
using the correct LO , picture would be great also.

if you have everything setup correctly i will suggest these tips for you.
C-band signal is easier to find than KU , find you best signal for C-band on that satellite then switch to KU signal (a good transponder on that same satellite)
then adjust the lnbf slightly in or out (toward dish & away from dish) to see if KU can be gained.

Thanks for the suggestion, i don't remember, but the lnb is very close to the dish.
i will work tomorrow and take picture of it.

Should be using diseqc for band switching. LNB 1=C, LNB 2=Ku. Then normal 22khz Universal Hi/lo switching. OFF for TP's below 11700, On for those above 11700. Or UNIVERSAL (Auto 22khz)to scan the whole Ku satellite band.

will be use the sat. finder (Satlink ws6906, oh yhea, a hobby w/semi-pro equipment?) but only the Ku, because the diseqc was broken. i will purchase one in ebay.

hy! i have a WSI UNIVERSAL C/KU lnb for Intelsat 21 @ 58w, the problem is not getting the Ku band feed.

If this is a WSI NS741 it's a possibility that the box was labelled wrong as they did get a shipment a while back that was screwed up that way. If that's the case you "could" try the Standard LO setting to see if it will see anything on Ku. That was how I figured out that the one I had was in the wrong box.

Is there Ku on 58w? Coming up blank here with a 36" dish right now.. Maybe there's nothing there... but I am scanning 11.7 to 12.2..

Is there Ku on 58w? Coming up blank here with a 36" dish right now.. Maybe there's nothing there... but I am scanning 11.7 to 12.2..

Yeah there's a bunch of linear Ku stuff on there but most of it's encrypted. Should be able to get a signal on one of those though. Both DVB and S2 are listed.

But they are what lyngsat refers to the 'Mexico Beam" or 'Brazil'. Mike lists 2 ITC on a Mexican spot beam. Don't think they get this far north. But what's shown on satbeams doesn't show these 'beams' Maybe have to set up that 8ft???? Oh! encrypted, never mind.
I hear there's Ku on 55.5 also. Tried with a 1.2m. Nothing. Think only those in the south are 'party' to it.

Last edited:
You might be right Phat as I haven't looked to see what area those Ku TPs cover and I don't have that side programmed in on any of my receivers. Was just "assuming" that Ku would be seen here since I do get Cband from it.

If I have time later I'll add that side to the Micro and scan it to see what turns up.

Just switched LNBs from standard to Universal in the motorized 1m dish, will scan with that once I get set up inside. -25 out perfect weather to play with LNBFs, cabling, and lining up dishes!
added:
Get back in and after booting up the receiver I find my diseqc switch is blown...
I have had this trouble in the past in really cold weather. 50% humidity at -25c you can easily build up electrical charges just from walking through the snow, likely a few kv. I'm afraid to switch out the old one with a new one, same thing might happen again. Need an anti-static snow suite!

Last edited:
Just switched LNBs from standard to Universal in the motorized 1m dish, will scan with that once I get set up inside. -25 out perfect weather to play with LNBFs, cabling, and lining up dishes!
added:
Get back in and after booting up the receiver I find my diseqc switch is blown...
I have had this trouble in the past in really cold weather. 50% humidity at -25c you can easily build up electrical charges just from walking through the snow, likely a few kv. I'm afraid to switch out the old one with a new one, same thing might happen again. Need an anti-static snow suite!

Power down your receiver. Keep the new switch wrapped in an old anti-static bag from a computer part if you have one if you feel that static buildup is that bad. Go out to the dish, and touch something grounded (ground pole?) to drain the static from your body. Then, replace the switch.

", and touch something grounded (ground pole?) to drain the static from your body. Then, replace the switch.

Used my bare fingers instead of mittens... Anyway I realised I had a spare port so just switched a couple of cables around and all is good... until I need the 4th port again...
Get nothing here on a blind scan with the universal, that sat must be using a beam antenna for Ku. Good to know..

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts