Universal LNB frequencies question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Now this is the first time have worked with a universal LNB so this may sound goofy.

I noticed when I put it on the dish and reset everything in my receiver to accept it, the Pansat when blind scanning would go from IF freq 950-1600 (to get frequency, add 10750 to the IF) so it would go from 11700-12300, which is fine.

But when adding the universal, it goes from 950-2150, which would be (when adding 9750) 10700-11900, then it resets to 10600 and does the same thing, which gives frequencies of 11550-12750

Here is the issue...there is an overlap. So when it scans SBS6, it actually picks up a frequency TWICE

11958 V 5630 on the Universal part
11960 V 5630 on the standard part

there is nothing there so it doesnt matter, but those frequencies between 11550 & 11900 (Like ONN & KULC)...which side does the Universal use?

Will it use the 0k ouput (the universal) or the 22k (standard)

reason wondering is I slave my analog to it and if I am on SBS6 (ONN) and its on the Universal part, the analog won't work :(

Haven't used a pansat, but are you still using the standard lnb and the universal with a diseq switch (dual setup). As far as I know, the universal just has a broader range. I know they use these in europe as alot of the KU chans are on the low end of the KU side and a standard (10750) can't go that low. Could be on the blind scan that the setting you may have entered manually, scanns the chan, and the blind scan actually is picking it up a few above or below and locking at that. That would be my guess.

nope...just the universal

I think I'm more worried about the 2nd question

those frequencies between 11550 & 11900 (Like ONN & KULC)...which side does the Universal use?

Will it use the 0k ouput (the universal) or the 22k (standard)

reason wondering is I slave my analog to it and if I am on SBS6 (ONN) and its on the Universal part, the analog won't work

Good question.....never thought about that before. I just assumed that the Universal picks up everything a standard did and a little more on the lower end of the KU band including analog (of course you need a dvb analog reciever which in this case you do). as for the 22k, I don't have mine turned on, so I would assume that it uses "the ok" side. Hope this helps. Like I and I'm sure you have done in the past.....experiment. Let me know how this turns out for you; now you have me interested.

Sharris
A universal automatically does the 22k

When it uses the Universal frequencies, the 22k defaults to 0k…but when it uses the higher frequency (the standard ones), it goes to 22k

Hopefully there is some analog on there that I can check out…there wasn’t any on Saturday on SBS6 : (

I'll check with some of my sources. Had no idea that the 22k flipped depending on what freq you were trying to get. On my digiwave and my old ariza, it was set to off and I didn't see it change.

and that goes back to my original question

when there is an overlap betweent he high universal and the low standard, where does it go?

(if it goes to universal, then I'm screwed)

For me, it depends on where your switch freq. is set to, if I understand it right. I can alter that and use either the 22k or not I believe. I've tested it... noticable difference in S/Q strength since I'm using different VFO's. But Frequencies close to the middle can be picked up using either.

I can't

I'll have to see if there is any anlog on SBS6 tongiht, but I know when it blind scans, it goes
Univeral H then V
then Standard H then V

and Ohio News shows up on the Universal H AND the Standard H :mad:

talked with some of my other FTA enthusiasts (the experts I like to call them). One of them stated the following. I also posed the entire issue with them and am waiting for their reply.

I quote" you can think of "universal" LNB as being two seperate LNB's in one case.. one for the low part of the band and the other for the high part )although that's not 100% correct).

the universal LNB uses two seperate LO frequencies and depending upon the status of the 22K tone it knows what LO to use and what part of the band to block convert and send into your receiver..

however.. if the receiver is properly configured it will know when to turn the 22K tone on and off and what LO to use automatically.

that's why many receivers have options to set High LO, Low LO and a changeover frequency.. those all need to be set correctly if you expect things to work transparently..

if your receiver just has a "universal LNB" setting where you can't change anything it's most likey assuming a 9750/10600 dual LO LNB.. other LO combinations (like dual LO 10000/10750 LNBs) won't work unless you can manually change those settings within the receiver.."

Hope at least some of this helped, I honestly had no idea that this was how a universal worked. I will post once I recieve word back from the experts on this end.

when I change to Universal 1, the LO frequencies (9750/10600) and 22K go grey

All I can chnage is DIseQc port and motor

Iceberg

I am not sure which Pansat model you have. But here is the deal:

The UNIVERSAL LNBF uses two bands of frequencies.
Low band and Hi Band.

Low band range 10.7-11.7GHz
High band range 11.7-12.75GHz

Thus, you have two LO frequencies: 9750/10600
The 22KHz tone is automatically adjusted by the receiver between 0KHz (for the low band frequencies) and 22KHz for the HIGH band frequencies.

So, in your example, the 11960 Transponder will fall in the HIGH band. Thus, 22KHz tone will be ON.

:)

What I do with mine (on Fortec Ultra), if I know satellite only has 11700+ frequencies, I don't use universal setting, just use the setting for standard, change LO to be 10600 and turn 22kHz on. Makes life much easier. For atlantic birds I leave it on universal in case there is something on lower frequencies.

Sadoun said:
Iceberg

I am not sure which Pansat model you have. But here is the deal:

The UNIVERSAL LNBF uses two bands of frequencies.
Low band and Hi Band.

Low band range 10.7-11.7GHz
High band range 11.7-12.75GHz

Thus, you have two LO frequencies: 9750/10600
The 22KHz tone is automatically adjusted by the receiver between 0KHz (for the low band frequencies) and 22KHz for the HIGH band frequencies.

So, in your example, the 11960 Transponder will fall in the HIGH band. Thus, 22KHz tone will be ON.

:)

Pansat 1500 is the receiver

So as long as the frequency is above 11.7, it will default to 22k on?

I guess here is where I am confused….when I blind scan, the IF frequency goes from 950-2150…so if I add 2150 to 9750, I get 11.900…so anything below that (like ONN at 11742) might default to the Universal frequencies.

When I do a blind scan with a standard LNB, it goes from 950-1600 (so from 11.7-12.344)

vj9999 said:
What I do with mine (on Fortec Ultra), if I know satellite only has 11700+ frequencies, I don't use universal setting, just use the setting for standard, change LO to be 10600 and turn 22kHz on. Makes life much easier. For atlantic birds I leave it on universal in case there is something on lower frequencies.

damn that might just work...I'll have to try that :D

Iceberg said:
When I do a blind scan with a standard LNB, it goes from 950-1600 (so from 11.7-12.344)

The STANDARD LNB will cover 11.7 - 12.2 GHz only. If it is going below or above those numbers, it could be drifting.

holy cow, looks like you got a few replies in a short period of time...

heres what I got.... "The normal default is for the the lowband LO (9.750 GHz) to be used for receive frequencies up to 11.7000 GHz (no 22 KHz tone sent) & the hiband LO is then switched in for frequencies above 11.70 GHz (i.e the 22 KHz tone is switched on).
Some receivers might use a different switchover frequency , in which case it should say so in the manual.
Many receivers actually allow the user to change the "crossover frequency" ( the frequency above which the hiband LO will be switched on). This may be in an "installer" , "dish" or "LNB" menu (possibly password protected) rather than in the easily accessible user-menu.
It all depends on which receiver you (or your friend) have."

sounds pretty much what the other poster had to say..

I know I learned alot in the past half hour.

Sadoun said:
The STANDARD LNB will cover 11.7 - 12.2 GHz only. If it is going below or above those numbers, it could be drifting.

no nothing above 12.2, but I'm just adding the IF frequency to 10750..when it gets to 1594 (with the standard), it jumps to 2150 :)

vj9999 said:

only one I can see that is universal is PAS9...all the rest are regular KU band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)