OTHER Universal LNB - Linear - on a DISH NET 1000.2 dish

I have had success with all dish network dishes i have experimented with to receiver fta signals. I receive everything on 97w with about a 60% Q on my wetek play 2 if im pointed directly at 97w. It drops about 10% if i point one lnbf at 103w and place a second lnbf at 97w. I have had minimal success with a third lnbf pointing at 87w. I only pick up the patient channel and the MTA mux, and only using a dishnetwork turbohd dish not a dish 500. The Dish 500 will do 97w and 103w fine though. Its also important to mention neither dish will receive any pbs mux at all. Was hoping they would but even pointed directly at 87w or 125w no pbs with the exception of 125w does now receive montana pbs (assume its due to recent power increase). IM attaching photos of my first attempt at small dish useage with the results using a sathawk pro receiver. the 3 satellites i was receiving were 91w 97w and 103w with 103w being the main lnbf.

That's pretty cool on your setup especially getting Cozi on 103. Going to try the same with an old Dish500, and Directv slimline no longer in use. The tough part is making the custom LNBF holders. PBS can be a tough nut, so sticking with a 90cm is the way to go.

yeah Rick over at Ricks satellite couldnt believe i was getting the nbc mux with a dish 500. I was just visiting with him when i ordered one of the sat receivers he has on clearance for the local church. I wanted to get em a decent receiver that wouldnt brake the bank but also have an actual warranty.

Reactions: T.J.M.
This project sounds exciting. Finally a good use of the smaller dbs dishes since I don't have a ton of 3 footers to spare. When the weather improves and holds, it's dish time!. Thanks for all the info on your setups...

here are some photos of the items i used on my dishnetwork dishes.

Attachments

• IMG_1182.JPG
    IMG_1182.JPG
    92.1 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_1183.JPG
    IMG_1183.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 175
Thanks for the pictures on your setup for the lnb/lnbfs!! Im going to have to come up with some custom setup if i want to use multiple lnbs. Just curious what kind of switch do you use? I have some old dish network switches..a dp pluz seperator 123254 and also a dish Network SW21 switch. Can i use either of those to combine two separate lnb into one rg6 coax to the receiver? I don't know anything about how to switches work so this is the next thing i need to research. I never got around to aiming for galaxy 19 (97w) today because after i got back i decided to run rg6 from the dish to inside so i could hook it up and enjoy the fruit of my labor. It was 61f in Michigan today so i took advantage of the warm weather to run the line and then seal it up for when it turns cold again.

Also i kind of scalped and old cable line to get the fittings. Is there a cable tool (crimper) people would suggest getting to make own custom connectors? I don't think mine will hold up long run because it was kinda flimsy since the one i took off wasn't the crimp kind.

Sent from my LGLS665 using the SatelliteGuys app!

BTW im pretty sure the F1 receiver you are using is almost identical to the X2 M1-HD+ receiver. I got one for the Neighbor who asked for the dish I took the Photos of. It is VERY similar in performance and the software is Identical down to the version release. I just gave him the dish, and he paid what i did for the lnbf's and the brackets and receiver. For about 50 bucks he gets around 50 channels he can watch (english) though a lot of them are the religious channels.
It seems to work ok so far.. until today i was slightly skeptical about it because my previous two attempts i wasn't getting anything out of it (although when i had it connected to the dish Network 1000.2 dish it was pulling in echostar sats but they eye scrambled for obvious reasons).

I also wasn't sure if the lnbf was any good because i had no way to verify it prior to today. Turns out both lnbf and receiver are good and it's just very sensitive. The funny thing is i was trying to lock on galaxy 3 a and i ended up getting galaxy 17 first! For the receiver i was on the dish setup screen for galaxy 3 and it brought in channels so i was excited but when i viewed the channels the ABC ones said they were galaxy 17 so that made me wonder. I then went into dish setup, switched to a different sat like galaxy 19 and did setup and found that it too find the same channels. Turns out this receiver doesn't really care what dish your trying to setup if its pointed at a particular satellite. Seems like it's really more just for labeling purposes so when you save the channels you find its easier to remember which sat has what channels but if you're not careful you can totally miss label them lol

Thankfully dishpointer.com was super helpful with the elevation and the general area to point it. I was very fortunate i have a perfect landmark to aim it against. Unfortunately I'm not sure how much further than 97w i will be able to hit because i have a wall of trees in up against the further i go up in degree/West in direction.

IM using a pansat 4 port DiSEqC switch for my multi feeds, you have to assign each lnbf to the port you hook it to in the receiver. Pretty sure dishnetwork and directv switches wont work. I noticed that the directv dishes are way more touchy then my geosatpro dish or my 1.2m commercial dish. But it is what it is. The dishes are free, I got time to tinker and i was just curious what if anything they could get. As far as the positions in the receiver each spot has each satellites orbital degree and some of the transponders that are associated with that satellite. So while in your case it currently doesnt matter what satellite you choose for your viewing enjoyment, it does make a difference if you put a motor on the dish. I personally wouldnt mess with a motor setup on a dishnetwork dish, but I might add a dishnetwork dish dedicated to one satellite in tandem with a motorized setup, especially in a multi room setup where someone in another room might want to watch something different then what someone in the main room is watching. In reality while fun and much easier to work on KU doesnt hold a candle to c-band. Im seriously contemplating purchasing a 1.2m geosatpro dish, and a big motor to see what i can get on that as i already have the conical scaler ring and a c-band lnbf. But the boss (my wife) will have to authorize that kind of purchase. I dont think a motor will work on the commercial dish i have as its really heavy, and i have had limited success with c-band on it, as i had to heavily modify it to even work with a ku lnbf. Most of my goofing around is getting ready for a mini bud project this summer/fall.

IM using a pansat 4 port DiSEqC switch for my multi feeds, you have to assign each lnbf to the port you hook it to in the receiver. Pretty sure dishnetwork and directv switches wont work. I noticed that the directv dishes are way more touchy then my geosatpro dish or my 1.2m commercial dish. But it is what it is. The dishes are free, I got time to tinker and i was just curious what if anything they could get. As far as the positions in the receiver each spot has each satellites orbital degree and some of the transponders that are associated with that satellite. So while in your case it currently doesnt matter what satellite you choose for your viewing enjoyment, it does make a difference if you put a motor on the dish. I personally wouldnt mess with a motor setup on a dishnetwork dish, but I might add a dishnetwork dish dedicated to one satellite in tandem with a motorized setup, especially in a multi room setup where someone in another room might want to watch something different then what someone in the main room is watching. In reality while fun and much easier to work on KU doesnt hold a candle to c-band. Im seriously contemplating purchasing a 1.2m geosatpro dish, and a big motor to see what i can get on that as i already have the conical scaler ring and a c-band lnbf. But the boss (my wife) will have to authorize that kind of purchase. I dont think a motor will work on the commercial dish i have as its really heavy, and i have had limited success with c-band on it, as i had to heavily modify it to even work with a ku lnbf. Most of my goofing around is getting ready for a mini bud project this summer/fall.
I had a dish 500 before the 1000.2 and it was in my garage until last summer. Now I'm kind of wishing i kept it lol but it went to the recycle yard. O well.. i don't think i could use a BUD here because of all the trees. But I'd be happy tuning into galaxy 3 (cctv/cgtn) and galaxy 19(if i can get it). It will be fun trying to see how far west and east i can go and still hit them with the trees. But instead of looking for my sats today i opted to shore up my tripod with wood and bolts and anchored it down so the wind doesn't catch it and tip it over.

I'm probably going to buy a 4-5 foot 1.75" pole and stick it in a small bucket and pour cement in to make it even sturdier but that's a project for another day :D

This is what going happen to you when you start getting obsessed with FTA.

Attachments

• 20170214_154838[1].jpg
    20170214_154838[1].jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1,165
  • 20170214_154849[1].jpg
    20170214_154849[1].jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 181
  • 20170214_154854[1].jpg
    20170214_154854[1].jpg
    82 KB · Views: 178
Reactions: jorgek and T.J.M.
Dish Network legacy switches use a unique protocol that isn't compatible with DiSEqC or 22KHz commands. Some STBs have Dish Network switch selection in the menus, but most do not.

DirecTV switches use 22KHz commands and all but the flex port is compatible with FTA STBs.

Dish Network legacy switches use a unique protocol that isn't compatible with DiSEqC or 22KHz commands. Some STBs have Dish Network switch selection in the menus, but most do not.

DirecTV switches use 22KHz commands and all but the flex port is compatible with FTA STBs.
So sounds like my dish Network switches I have are probably useless then?? I didn't get a switch with the 36EDS when i got it. What are some good and not so expensive switches to get then? Or can i look for anything that is diseqc syntax/compatible?

Beware that not all switches are created equal. Cheaper switches will often bleed stronger signals between ports.

I like the Pansat and the Maverick 4x1 DiSEqC switches. Both have good isolation between the ports. Remember to always disconnect the power from the STB to make sure no power is passing down the coax. Swapping coax cables on a powered switch often kills the switch.

Reactions: T.J.M. and Shicks4
Beware that not all switches are created equal. Cheaper switches will often bleed stronger signals between ports.

I like the Pansat and the Maverick 4x1 DiSEqC switches. Both have good isolation between the ports. Remember to always disconnect the power from the STB to make sure no power is passing down the coax. Swapping coax cables on a powered switch often kills the switch.
Silly question.. What is STB? Is that the receiver?

1.2 meter dish with 107w c band and 99w c band in the middle.
Are you saying that you are able to pull in c band channels on this 1.2m dish?? That might be something i look into further down the road since would be better for me to have a smaller dish than a bud where i am located. Plus id be ok with having it relatively fixed location for the dish since my gut feeling is I'm probably stuck in a range of maybe 85w to 105w unless i go on the roof which im not quite ready to do yet (i know my 1000.2 can get all 3 dish Network sats from the roof which is like 110,119 and 129 i believe).

Are you saying that you are able to pull in c band channels on this 1.2m dish?? That might be something i look into further down the road since would be better for me to have a smaller dish than a bud where i am located. Plus id be ok with having it relatively fixed location for the dish since my gut feeling is I'm probably stuck in a range of maybe 85w to 105w unless i go on the roof which im not quite ready to do yet (i know my 1000.2 can get all 3 dish Network sats from the roof which is like 110,119 and 129 i believe).

Some people have had luck (and lots of patience) with 99W C-band on a smaller dish. I wouldn't jump into something like that until you're comfortable with aiming a Ku dish.

Given your range, you might want to try what I had for a while: one 90cm dish with 2-3 LNBF's:
103W: NBC, Cozi, NHK, RT, plus occasional news/sports feeds
97W: hundreds of channels, mostly international/religious, a couple news channels
91W: ABC News 1-4 (sometimes news, sometimes a slate) plus occasional news/sports feeds

I had all 3 for a while, connected to a 4x1 switch (four LNB inputs, one receiver).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts