OTHER Universal LNB - Linear - on a DISH NET 1000.2 dish

Some people have had luck (and lots of patience) with 99W C-band on a smaller dish. I wouldn't jump into something like that until you're comfortable with aiming a Ku dish.

Given your range, you might want to try what I had for a while: one 90cm dish with 2-3 LNBF's:
103W: NBC, Cozi, NHK, RT, plus occasional news/sports feeds
97W: hundreds of channels, mostly international/religious, a couple news channels
91W: ABC News 1-4 (sometimes news, sometimes a slate) plus occasional news/sports feeds

I had all 3 for a while, connected to a 4x1 switch (four LNB inputs, one receiver).
Oh i don't plan to do it anytime soon but it's giving me ideas on how to set it up for longer term expansion. I currently can get 91w and 95w (i confirmed this morning i still got CGTN on 95w during steady rain! Also was listening to some of the sat radio channels on that satellite). My next adventure is to try to tune in 97w (galaxy 19) over the upcoming weekend or two and continually try to move west to see how far i can go. I have a couple months left to do that and then i get to retest it all when the leaves start growing again I'm confident though i will still get 91w and 95w because the trees there are set back further from my deck. I'm not so sure the further south west i go though... I have noticed too that each sat west is further down in elevation by a half degree or so ... Which means i think the trees will become a bigger problem because the dish isn't pointing as high in the sky.

Sent from my LGLS665 using the SatelliteGuys app!

wont take much moving to get 97w from your position of 95w, like litterally a tiny bit. I also agree on the c-band with the 1.2m dish, its time consuming. The more you mess around with a ku dish the better you will get at recognizing the position to set the dish. Definitely keep playing with the dish you have now for ku. Also be aware that some areas might actually make you take a 1.2m dish down (like my area) as some places really want the money for a permit for any dish bigger then 1m. I kinda wander where i can get a dishnetwork dish like danneristheman has. I might could squeek by with that dish if its on the roof because while technically its bigger then they allow without a permit, it is a dish network dish and they might not even mention it because it has that dish network logo. In reality it would be nice if they would alow at least 1 1.2m dish without a permit as the price that i have found for a 1m dish is within 20 bucks of a 1.2m, and I have a commercial 1.2m dish I got from the local hardware store(though i had to virtually modify everything about it just to be able to put a ku lnbf on it.)

Reactions: T.J.M.
Just remember that an offset dish even though its pointing at the trees is actually seeing sats by the amount of offset.
The focal point of the dish is not in its center but at its base). In other words the dish is looking about 24 degrees higher than what its pointing at. In my case the dish is pointing at my neighbours house but receiving the sats no problem.

wont take much moving to get 97w from your position of 95w, like litterally a tiny bit. I also agree on the c-band with the 1.2m dish, its time consuming. The more you mess around with a ku dish the better you will get at recognizing the position to set the dish. Definitely keep playing with the dish you have now for ku. Also be aware that some areas might actually make you take a 1.2m dish down (like my area) as some places really want the money for a permit for any dish bigger then 1m. I kinda wander where i can get a dishnetwork dish like danneristheman has. I might could squeek by with that dish if its on the roof because while technically its bigger then they allow without a permit, it is a dish network dish and they might not even mention it because it has that dish network logo. In reality it would be nice if they would alow at least 1 1.2m dish without a permit as the price that i have found for a 1m dish is within 20 bucks of a 1.2m, and I have a commercial 1.2m dish I got from the local hardware store(though i had to virtually modify everything about it just to be able to put a ku lnbf on it.)
Thanks that is some good information. Luckily for me I live in a very rural area where there are probably 10,000 trees for every 1 person :) However unlucky for me trees are a lot taller than people haha

Just remember that an offset dish even though its pointing at the trees is actually seeing sats by the amount of offset.
The focal point of the dish is not in its center but at its base). In other words the dish is looking about 24 degrees higher than what its pointing at. In my case the dish is pointing at my neighbours house but receiving the sats no problem.
Whoa i really need to read up on this then. By offset do you mean that the lnb are held out in front? I think i also need to understand how the fact that my dish 36EDS is elliptical and how that affects things. I know it's still about 36" wide but the height is only like 21/24" so it's probably a bit touchier to line up since there isn't as much surface area as a true round 36" circle.

There are some free satellite locator apps if you have a smartphone, just hold your phone up facing south and it will show you the arc and sat locations, really handy for figuring out your line-of-sight limits.

And twice a year (coming up in March I think) the sun actually travels the satellite arc.

There are some free satellite locator apps if you have a smartphone, just hold your phone up facing south and it will show you the arc and sat locations, really handy for figuring out your line-of-sight limits.

And twice a year (coming up in March I think) the sun actually travels the satellite arc.
Thanks.. People have to be careful with this though because the one app i was using actually was telling me the sat i was trying to hit was further s. east than it actually was. I'm not sure if it was my gps that was off or the calculation for az... As an example dishpointer.com was saying az was about 195/200 but this app which showed me the same SAT lit up saying it was like 165 az.

I found it easier to use dishpointer.com, look on their sat map and the line to find a landmark and hit it that way

Yeh dishpointer is a great tool.

The sun method is cool too. If your dish location is in the shade when the sun is at the sat location you are interested in it's a no-go, if it's in the sun the dish can "see" it.

Im including a couple of general diagrams what offset focus and prime focus dishes do. Usually Prime focus dishes are pointing directly at the satellite, when offset focus dishes dont. Typically prime focus dishes are 6' and up and usually are c-band or c and ku band, and offset focus dishes are Ku band. It is possible to get some of the stronger c-band signals with a large (1m or 1.2m) offset dish. But its not "easy". the blue line in the illustrations is the "signal" from the satellite. you will notice that in the offset focus diagram that even though there is a tree in front of the dish the signal comes in from much higher then the direction the dish actually points.

Attachments

• offset focus.jpg
    offset focus.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 101
  • prime focus.jpg
    prime focus.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 123
Im including a couple of general diagrams what offset focus and prime focus dishes do. Usually Prime focus dishes are pointing directly at the satellite, when offset focus dishes dont. Typically prime focus dishes are 6' and up and usually are c-band or c and ku band, and offset focus dishes are Ku band. It is possible to get some of the stronger c-band signals with a large (1m or 1.2m) offset dish. But its not "easy". the blue line in the illustrations is the "signal" from the satellite. you will notice that in the offset focus diagram that even though there is a tree in front of the dish the signal comes in from much higher then the direction the dish actually points.
Awesome thank you this helps a lot. I have great news, i came home from work today and adjusted my tripod ever so slightly from 95w to where i thought 97w was and the very first try i got 150 channels. Some were coming in beautifully and others were coming in a few seconds and dropping because quality was like 10. I made a very slight tweak (thank goodness i can hear the TV from outside lol) and nailed it! I just got a total of 190 channels from galaxy 19!!! Attaching a couple pictures.
1487722117505.jpeg

Attachments

• image%253A9809.jpg
    image%253A9809.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 114
Yeah 2 degrees with that small of a dish aint much, congrats! I know if you had a switch you could set it up like the example i posted pics of and you could get the NBC mux that has COZI and also has NHK news and RT and some infomercial channel as well as the Microhd channels on top of the 97w mux.

Yeah 2 degrees with that small of a dish aint much, congrats! I know if you had a switch you could set it up like the example i posted pics of and you could get the NBC mux that has COZI and also has NHK news and RT and some infomercial channel as well as the Microhd channels on top of the 97w mux.
Thank you and the awesome news is i didn't even have to change my ELEV or SKEW settings on the dish. Just had to move it slightly sw. This means it's probably a very good likelihood that i can at least get 95w and 97w at the same time with 2 lnbfs. Would love to get the 103w with nbc and nhk world too!!

So curious question..what is mux?

Thank you and the awesome news is i didn't even have to change my ELEV or SKEW settings on the dish. Just had to move it slightly sw. This means it's probably a very good likelihood that i can at least get 95w and 97w at the same time with 2 lnbfs. Would love to get the 103w with nbc and nhk world too!!

So curious question..what is mux?

ive tuned several satellites without changing the elevation on the dish doing multiple feeds. IM sure im losing some signal since im not getting all of the signal but it has been working so far.

Are you saying that you are able to pull in c band channels on this 1.2m dish?? That might be something i look into further down the road since would be better for me to have a smaller dish than a bud where i am located. Plus id be ok with having it relatively fixed location for the dish since my gut feeling is I'm probably stuck in a range of maybe 85w to 105w unless i go on the roof which im not quite ready to do yet (i know my 1000.2 can get all 3 dish Network sats from the roof which is like 110,119 and 129 i believe).

Young Grasshopper don't worry about mini budding that will come later I do mini budding because I live in an apartment. Kitty is giving you some some good advice start of baby steps then get up and start running. Yes you can pull in c band but its difficult get used to Ku first then work on other things.

My dish is a 1.2 meter dish with a $7 can of paint you can make it look like a paytv one real easy. Its not a paytv dish I just did it to fool the apartment management. It fools them from a distance its funny though.