Universal lnb with 22khz switch

Status
Please reply by conversation.

maywod

Original poster
Oct 2, 2007
I am trying to plan out a system with a couple of dishes. Am I correct that a universal lnb will not operate properly if it is connected to a 22khz switch? I am considering having two 4X1 diseqc switches connected by a 22khz switch in order to address 8 lnbs. But I want to know if one of the lnbs can be a universal or not.

Thanks for your help.

First off, most 22khz switches won't pass the 22khz diseqc tones to operate the following diseqc switches.
The Ecoda 22khz switches will do the job, aren't expensive, and have been discussed on the forum a number of times in the past.

So, the 22khz ON input would hook to the output of one 4x1 diseqc switch, and the 22khz OFF input would hook to the output of the other 4x1 switch.

edit:
Apparently, this guy sells 'em: UltimateSatHobby.com
Search on Ecoda for more info, or check out this thread

Last edited:
So, the 22khz ON input would hook to one 4x1 diseqc switch and the 22khz OFF input would hookk to the other 4x1 switch.
I suppose if you wanted to operate the Univerasal LNB in the high band, you could hook it to a diseqc switch on the 22khz ON side.

wont work as the 22k gets first dibs on if 22k is off or on.

Easiest thing is to just use Standard LNB's. Other than a couple satellites over the Atlantic, a universal is useless here in the US

Last edited:
yep. Thats what happens when you have like 45 seconds to type before getting back to work :)

edited my post to say STANDARD

Thanks for your input. I will use standard lnb's in setting up the system.

FWIW my current setup works like this:

Code:
 Receiver <-> Ecoda  OFF <-> ChietaHD[1] <-> 4 single lnb (2 Ku 2 C)
          <-> Ecoda  ON <-> ChietaHD[2] <-> 3 single lnb + 1 Universal
The receiver seems to send the tone right through to the universal which runs fine at the top end.

The reason for this is that the universal is piggybacking on a 10 footer Channel Master pointed at G13, the universal gets G10R next door. I have tried using a simple standard lnb there but for some odd reason the Universal gets a much better signal, maybe due to the odd mounting location.

This is not a recommendation to use this setup; for one thing it seems to be very hard to do proper blind scans from time to time, so I simplify the situation by removing the Ecoda, reconfigure, rescan, and reassemble at which point the new channels appear ok.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts