Universal LNBF setup Ku band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

rrob311

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2010
New England
I have a Fortec Star FSKUVN universal LNBF and have yet to get a signal with it. When I turn it away from the dish the signal seems to go up. The dish is pointed at 91w. I heard somewhere that universals require that the 22khz be turned on but I have never used a universal so I am confused as to how these style lnbfs work.

When you point the lnb away from the dish "ground noise " comes up. Tells me the lnb is trying to work, just get it mounted back at the focal point.
AS for universal lnbs, they cover two bands. 22k off=10.7-11.7 mostly for Euro sats. 22k on=11.7-12.2 for N.A. sats. You need 22k on. Try for 97w for starters, there are more signals that are up 24/7, then move to your 91w.

This one says 9750- 10600 on it. I punched that into my receiver and now it seems to work but I am getting too much interference from these darn Nimiq satellites that I can't find the ones I want. Does anyone have a technique for this using an analog meter?

Why does this LNBF specify 9750 and 10600? Why don't they just use 10750?

What does SW and LOF mean?

Predominantly in Europe, there are two Ku bands--upper and lower. Standard LNBFs only receive the upper (using a L.O. of 10750). For that reason, standard LNBFs are not very useful in Europe. Universal LNBFs are able to pick up both the upper and lower bands. We generally only use the upper here, so there is no need for a universal LNBF.

Since a universal will pick up both upper and lower bands, it acts like two LNBFs, one for low band and one for high. Universal LNBFs default to low band (the 9750 L.O.), so they need to be switched to high band to receive signals here. That is where the internal 22k switch in the LNBF comes in. When 22k is on, the LNBF switches to high band (the 10600 L.O.).

Last edited:
This one says 9750- 10600 on it. I punched that into my receiver and now it seems to work but I am getting too much interference from these darn Nimiq satellites that I can't find the ones I want. Does anyone have a technique for this using an analog meter?

9750 and 10600 are the frequencies that the internal oscillators run at. The 10750 is the local oscillator frequency of a standard LNBF.

LOF is the same as LO or L.O. or Local Oscillator Frequency. If you have ever owned and tinkered with or at least been around a police scanner, you realize that you can swap out all the different crystals to change the oscillator frequencies and pick up different bands or channels. This isn't much different from that.

SW? I am not sure, maybe I am too tired right now but it isn't grabbing me. SW = SWitch as in 22khz switch?

Regarding the interference from the Nimiq or other sats. You have now experienced the drawback to the el-cheapo analog satellite meters. They cannot discern the difference between these various signals. To them, a signal is a signal, period. They have no way of discriminating between one or the other.

RADAR

Analog meters suck in my humble opinion.

your next questions speak directly about what an LNB does, and how it does it. I'm sure the process has been discussed to death on this forum and not being a typist myself, I won't atempt the "Clff notes version". Look up "how an LNB works" and it will give you the bigger picture.

Well I guess I can't edit.... SW is the frequency at which the 22KHZ tone is turned on. Some receivers have the ability to select it. Thanks Radar

rrob311 said:

LOF = Local Oscillation Frequency (usually just referred to as the LO).

SW = Switch point. The frequency where the receiver changes from the low band LO to the high band LO. typically this is automatically set to 11800 by selecting the Universal LNB type in the installation menu screen.

Predominantly in Europe, there are two Ku bands--upper and lower. Standard LNBFs only receive the upper (using a L.O. of 10750). For that reason, standard LNBFs are not very useful in Europe. Universal LNBFs are able to pick up both the upper and lower bands. We generally only use the upper here, so there is no need for a universal LNBF.

Since a universal will pick up both upper and lower bands, it acts like two LNBFs, one for low band and one for high. Universal LNBFs default to low band (the 9750 L.O.), so they need to be switched to high band to receive signals here. That is where the internal 22k switch in the LNBF comes in. When 22k is on, the LNBF switches to high band (the 10600 L.O.).

Yeah! What he said! LOL

Why not 9.750 / 10.750 instead of 9.750 / 10.600? I don't really know. However, I am sure that it has its basis and roots in the same vein regarding the European system and the North American system of frequencies used for communication transmissions for satellites. Both parties developed their own systems just a little differently. Kinda like why do the British drive on the wrong side of the road? Because they put the driver's wheel on the wrong side of the doggone car! :D Hee Hee! (Just ribbing you King George! Don't take offense, please).

RADAR

does anyone have a recomendation on what to use to lock in Ku sats with these LNB? This analog meter is not cutting it. I can't find anything with linear transponders. I got the LNB working however.

LOF = Local Oscillation Frequency (usually just referred to as the LO).

SW = Switch point. The frequency where the receiver changes from the low band LO to the high band LO. typically this is automatically set to 11800 by selecting the Universal LNB type in the installation menu screen.

Aha! There's is your answer. Thanks Brian. I wasn't thinking in that mode at this time of my day. I just learned something new.
Obviously, there has to be some built-in switch over point so that it occurs automatically when the LNB selection of UNIVERSAL is entered. Otherwise (if you didn't select the 22KHz signal as AUTO) it would stay either ON or OFF and only pull in one range of the Ku band.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts