Universal not leaving HD DVD

Pretty sure it was lobster. I think the conversation was something like this:

Elaine: "I've yada-yada-ed sex before... we went to dinner, I had a lobster bisque, yada yada yada, I went home."

Jerry: "But you yada-yada-ed the best part!"

Elaine: "No, I didn't, I mentioned the bisque."

The question now becomes, when does HD-DVD get relegated to nothing more than yada, yada, yada.... :)
Wrong episode. I was refering to the "Soup Nazi." I think it may be crab bisque. You are corrrect with your info about the "yada, yada, yada" episode.

On the improvement front, Microsoft needs to include the HD DVD function as part of its X-box series at no extra cost. This would make the X-box marginally more attractive for gamers and much more attractive to Universal, Panasonic, etc. This would make sense due to the fact the programming in the HD DVD is from Microsoft if I recall correctly, and if the HD DVD goes belly up Microsoft loses a revenue stream.

As to why Microsoft hasn't been willing to do this in the past, I think it probably has to do with the fact Microsoft developed a perfectly good high definition video standard which no one (basically) wanted to adopt.

Fitzie

Wrong episode. I was refering to the "Soup Nazi." I think it may be crab bisque. You are corrrect with your info about the "yada, yada, yada" episode.

I'm leaning toward seafood bisque on the "Soup Nazi" episode. Side note, had the Seafood at the Soup Nazi Place back in 95 I think it was. I ordered for 2 of my buddies, the guy got pissed off at me for ordering for others, walked away and the line stopped cold for about 3 minutes. Which is a damn long time outside in line with everyone pissed at you! Good news though, the soup (yep I finally got it) was "knee buckling good!"

I'm leaning toward seafood bisque on the "Soup Nazi" episode. Side note, had the Seafood at the Soup Nazi Place back in 95 I think it was. I ordered for 2 of my buddies, the guy got pissed off at me for ordering for others, walked away and the line stopped cold for about 3 minutes. Which is a damn long time outside in line with everyone pissed at you! Good news though, the soup (yep I finally got it) was "knee buckling good!"
From IMDB
George Costanza: Good afternoon. One large crab bisque to go.
[gets his soup and looks inside]
;)

On the improvement front, Microsoft needs to include the HD DVD function as part of its X-box series at no extra cost. This would make the X-box marginally more attractive for gamers and much more attractive to Universal, Panasonic, etc. This would make sense due to the fact the programming in the HD DVD is from Microsoft if I recall correctly, and if the HD DVD goes belly up Microsoft loses a revenue stream.

As to why Microsoft hasn't been willing to do this in the past, I think it probably has to do with the fact Microsoft developed a perfectly good high definition video standard which no one (basically) wanted to adopt.

Fitzie

M$ did not do this because they have absolutely no interest in HDM disc based media. They are angling for internet based download of HDM and would like to control the lion's share of that market. Only interest in HD-DVD was in helping to create a format war in order to kill disc based HDM. Looks like Warner is no longer willing to go along with the plan. Question is, how long will Universal and Paramount and how much money will it take to keep them solely in the HD-DVD fold. Because if they go nuetral it is over for HD-DVD the day they announce nuetrality.

M$ did not do this because they have absolutely no interest in HDM disc based media. They are angling for internet based download of HDM and would like to control the lion's share of that market. Only interest in HD-DVD was in helping to create a format war in order to kill disc based HDM. Looks like Warner is no longer willing to go along with the plan. Question is, how long will Universal and Paramount and how much money will it take to keep them solely in the HD-DVD fold. Because if they go nuetral it is over for HD-DVD the day they announce nuetrality.

Well, no studios are making money on average from HDM disc sales--it's purely from kickbacks from Sony and Toshiba.

For once we do agree. If MS is committed to HD-DVD, they need to lower the price of the Xbox 360 add-on to at least $129 (preferably $99).

Well, no studios are making money on average from HDM disc sales--it's purely from kickbacks from Sony and Toshiba.

For once we do agree. If MS is committed to HD-DVD, they need to lower the price of the Xbox 360 add-on to at least $129 (preferably $99).

That may have worked 6 months ago, but I do not see any way Warner will come back to HD-DVD now. They have burned too many bridges.

SO how does BD survive if the PS3 makes no money and the studios or SOny make no money??

I believe the question becomes when does HD media get relegated to nothing more than yada, yada, yada......

Funny that you say that now.... weren't you all over HD-DVD a few weeks ago?

Well, we're both right, sort of. I thought they were the same episode, but I did realize George's bisque and Elaine's were different scenes...

Anyway:

George Costanza: You don't think she'd yada yada sex?
Elaine: [raising hand] I've yada yada'ed sex.
George Costanza: Really?
Elaine: Yeah. I met this lawyer, we went out to dinner, I had the lobster bisque, we went back to my place, yada yada yada, I never heard from him again.
Jerry: But you yada yada'd over the best part.
Elaine: No, I mentioned the bisque.

"Seinfeld" (1990) - Memorable quotes

That may have worked 6 months ago, but I do not see any way Warner will come back to HD-DVD now. They have burned too many bridges.

I honestly don't see that either unless Toshiba, Microsoft, Universal, Paramount and the rest of the HD DVD backers come out charging hard to get player *and* disc sales up. During Christmas, HD-DVD sold at near parity with Warner titles and that still wasn't enough. :(

As far as Warner burning too many bridges--nah... Warner pissed a lot of us off. However, only the silliest fan boys wouldn't buy Warner titles again. The plurality of my collection is still Warner movies. Warner didn't disparage HD-DVD like Paramount did Blu-Ray. Moreover, Universal and Paramount didn't call Warner out like Disney and Sony did to Paramount.

HD-DVD needs all the good news it can get. Do you honestly think they wouldn't welcome Warner and New Line back with open arms? They would probably add region coding to the format in order to lure them back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)