Universal Remote?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cypher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 5, 2004
Hi all, I have a question for all you guys. Is there a good UNIVERSAL remote I can get so that I can get rid of the 4 I am using?

I have a new DirecTV receiver (with the locals in HD, is that an H10)?
I have a Directivo R10
I have a Hitatchi Rear Projection HD TV
And I have a Toshiba Surrouns Sound system

I use the TV remote to set the input (You know, Input 1 for the HD receiver, Input 2 for the XBOX 360, Input 3 for the Tivo, etc). Then, depending on which input I am on, I need the remote for that device.

I was looking at some universal remotes (with touch screens) from Sony, but I have no idea if they are compatible with Directv stuff. Can anyone out there give me any suggestions?

Rick

P.S. I was looking at the sony ControlRM-AV2500

Try a Harmony remote. The 688 I believe... I love the one that I have.

- Dan

I had one of the Sony touch screens and returned it. Even though I thought it was "cool", it was just too darn big and clumsy to handle (IMHO). I've had an MX500 for nearly 3 years, and love it. I'd highly recommend looking into a Home Theater Master model. I've heard great things about Harmony as well, but can't give any personal feedback.

Check out: http://www.remotecentral.com

Harmony 688 is very easy to program at the Harmony / Logitech website and it is definitely wife-friendly.

I use the regular remotes if I need to screw around with something specific on the device, usually setup when I change something. Otherwise the Harmony does everything.

My only grouse with the Harmony is the placement of the stop/play/pause/FF/FR buttons at the bottom of the remote makes them hard to use sometimes.

The best remote for the price is the Harmony 676... the 688 is over kill for 90% of the TV viewers. I wouldn't own a Sony product if they gave my one. You will never beat Logitech's support and there remotes can be connected to your PC to program.
Just my 35 cents

Plywodstatebum said:
The best remote for the price is the Harmony 676... the 688 is over kill for 90% of the TV viewers. I wouldn't own a Sony product if they gave my one. You will never beat Logitech's support and there remotes can be connected to your PC to program.
Just my 35 cents

I also use the Harmony 676. Very easy to setup and use. Probably one of the best investments I have made. I agree that the 688 is a bit more complicated than it needs to be and I personally like the 676's layout better.

Even my 3 year old can use it to watch DVD's and back to TV or vice versa.

As stated in an earlier post, remotecentral is a great place for info.

I have to echo the love for the Home Theater Master MX-500.
Easy to set up (follow the manual) and simple to use.
Learning capability is almost intuitive.
You really can't go wrong with the MX-500 or the Harmony 676.

I've got (2) Harmony remotes. A 688 and a 659. Both are excellent.

Their support staff is very good, if you program a device and it does not work, they're quick to help debug it. If you can't find a device you want to program, they'll help out with that too. Or it will learn from your original remotes.

They're also wife/kid/guest friendly. Much better than the Sony (I had one), don't need to do macros, and less $$$ than the Pronto.

And they have built-in help, in case a device fails to operate when it should.

I got the Harmony 880 for $190 at Sears the other day. Great remote. All kinds of configurations.

yeah universal work on directv irds just set ir address on the white remote first by holding mute and select while the sider is on directv side after the led blinks two times enter code 00001 or 00002 it goes up to 4.

Harmony 880. Love it. Even runs my new 360. Great remote, and I like the rechargeable battery. Website is easy to use and configure the remote.

Harmony 680

This remote is the best of both worlds (under $100, easy to program and use). You simply pick your components from their website and it programs itself. I have 8 components in my home theater and I can turn on any of them with one click. For example... if I hit my home theater action, the tv turns on my high-def receiver, receiver and tv. The receiver and tv are set to the proper inputs and I even have the tv muted so all of the sound is coming through my receiver. If I then click the dvd button, the high def tivo shuts off, the dvd player turns on and the receiver and tv are set to different inputs (the remote remembers that the tv and receiver are already on). My buddy paid hundreds more for some contraption that plugs into the back of all of his components... what a pain! This remote is fully programmable after-the-fact and you don't have to go searching for product codes and stuff like that. I read all of the reivews of the similarly-priced remotes and picked this one and couldn't be happier.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)